• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I’m not sure he’s right on this one. Questioning the players’ meteorology in the press doesn’t seem to have stopped our worst PL run for a number of years, so the effect doesn’t appear positive. I can’t think of a manager that the tactic’s worked for in the modern game - indeed, it usually ends up nowadays with the players staying put and the manager gone.

I love Poch but think he’s been badly wrong with some of his quotes over the last couple of weeks. He’s come across as a frustrated man at best and someone who is panicking a bit at worst.

I know some fans like the thought of players being ripped a new one in public but it doesn’t help. You do that stuff behind closed doors.

I love Poch but think he’s been badly wrong with some of his quotes over the last couple of weeks. He’s come across as a frustrated man at best and someone who is panicking a bit at worst.

I know some fans like the thought of players being ripped a new one in public but it doesn’t help. You do that stuff behind closed doors.

If you’ve spent a few years doing it behind closed doors and yet the same mistakes are being made?

Maybe he’s trying to diversify his approach. If anything I would think it means he is blaming himself a little bit and questioning why it is still happening. It reminds me of the book by him/ Balague in which he asks whether he’s been to lenient and could have done something to stop us throwing away second place at the end of that season.

Poch is still 'the man' - as long as he is willing to try a different approach, to improve things.

I think he needs to go back to what he did when he first turned up, trust in youth again, he can mould younger players better.

Look to what made that team 3 years ago so good and what is missing in the current format. Pace from the wing back positions would be the main thing that jumps out at me, then more guile and ability to keep hold of the ball in central midfield.

Redknapp had it right, we are missing walker, Rose(of 3 seasons ago) and Dembele. He needs to get rid of the deadwood and use academy players for those positions and then get in real quality not odd left wingers from France.

Obviously none of us know for sure, but going by how Poch has always operated Id suggest he has already done his talking behind closed doors and not got the desired response. Hence going public.

Im not a big fan of that sort of thing, but I get it.

Poch takes a huge amount of flack for the players in public, all the criticism etc falls on him and he protects them.

If he feels they havent supported him in the way he wants by playing the way he wants - perhaps its right he moves some of that on to them.

Obviously none of us know for sure, but going by how Poch has always operated Id suggest he has already done his talking behind closed doors and not got the desired response. Hence going public.

Im not a big fan of that sort of thing, but I get it.

Poch takes a huge amount of flack for the players in public, all the criticism etc falls on him and he protects them.

If he feels they havent supported him in the way he wants by playing the way he wants - perhaps its right he moves some of that on to them.

If that has been Poch's motivation, I can both understand it and forgive him for it. But it doesn't seem to be working. And to be honest I'm not surprised. We're third again despite making no signings, selling Dembele, having lots of injuries, and unexpectedly having to play in Wembley again for most of the season. If I was part of a group who'd achieved that, I think I'd be irritated (or at least demotivated) that as soon as we lost the Burnley game our manager was publicly questioning our mentality for not achieving more - and in doing so buying into and reinforcing critical narratives from other fans, pundits and journalists.

Whether behind closed doors or in public, it seems to me the right and fair approach would have been to congratulate the players for achieving what they have in difficult circumstances, and motivating them to get top 4 this season before a title push next season - in our new stadium and with a couple of new players. Instead, after already experiencing a few seasons of falling short, I can imagine that continuing to demand even more (without being able to provide the conditions to support and enable more) could start to become wearisome and rather than energising.

This all makes me think of the CEO at the last company I worked for, a startup - he was brilliant at generating a sense of commitment and motivating us to punch above our weight, and we made loads of positive progress initially. But when we hit a tricky patch, his ambition and belief in overcoming all obstacles became a burden rather than a boon - because it morphed into refusing to acknowledge obstacles, and unfairly blaming us as individuals for failing to achieve more.

(Obviously I'm not suggesting by any means that Poch is this extreme, and I totally recognise that as things stand we are only talking about a run of 4 disappointing results. Just found it interesting to reflect on my own experiences of this kind of thing, in a way that might be relevant - we are all human beings after all).

I think it really depends on context.

Burnley in isolation isnt that big a deal. It was a shameful performance in that the team didnt carry enough fight or will, which will have annoyed him massively - but in a one off situation its not dramatic.

However, does that ring true if you consider Burnley as the worst performance after a string of less than decent performances? I would imagine Poch looking for a response game after game, and eventually instead of improvement he got this....

Does it seem so unreasonable then?

5yrs of Progress vs 4 games

This is why Poch says football is fickle, see the same for Eriksen
Damned if you so and Damned if you dont, come out and say first half was very positive but we tired, then WHY DIDNT YOU CHANGE IT
Come out and say I am very disappointed that mentally we turned off WHY CALL OUT THE PLAYERS, WE MUST SELL THE SQUAD

This is a blip, caused my multiple circumstances, some in the clubs control, some now, some in pochs control, mostly not

Beginning of the season if we were offered 3rd place and QF of champs league, majority would have taken it. Add it the circumstances (ignoring stadium) then certainly taken it.
We have had a injury ravaged season, whilst relying on players with long term chronic injuries.

IF we come back and continue the form (i dont include the meltdown after we lose v liverpool) then its time to wonder if there are deeper issues because according to some

............Gazzinga
Nobody....Toby.....Jan......Nobody
...Nobody....Winks.....Nobody
...Dele......Kane.....Son

Thats the sum total of players who havent got finger pointed at them as not good enough

I think it really depends on context.

Burnley in isolation isnt that big a deal. It was a shameful performance in that the team didnt carry enough fight or will, which will have annoyed him massively - but in a one off situation its not dramatic.

However, does that ring true if you consider Burnley as the worst performance after a string of less than decent performances? I would imagine Poch looking for a response game after game, and eventually instead of improvement he got this....

Does it seem so unreasonable then?

Personally I didn't say it was unreasonable, just that I didn't think it was the right approach and that it doesn't seem to be working. Still I can understand him trying different things to try and get a reaction if he felt our attitude in these kinds of games hadn't been up to scratch for a while.

It's so hard and frustrating as fans because we have little to no idea what goes on inside the dressing room and training ground. I'd like to think the staff and players would talk frequently and openly enough to know where the players' heads are at, and how to get the best out of them. But it's hard for us to know, because naturally we're left in the dark, and so left hypothesising and squabbling with strangers on the internet :D

I think we once again need to be brave, take a deep breath and believe.
We have all seen the problems recently, yet we have also seen the talent and spirit this squad has recently too.
We are not in a place where we can comfortably close anything out it appears, indeed, we seem to like it on the edge!!!
But I believe we will be top 4 somehow, someway at the end of the season.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Personally I didn't say it was unreasonable, just that I didn't think it was the right approach and that it doesn't seem to be working. Still I can understand him trying different things to try and get a reaction if he felt our attitude in these kinds of games hadn't been up to scratch for a while.

Not suggesting you were, just adding context to your point.

It's so hard and frustrating as fans because we have little to no idea what goes on inside the dressing room and training ground. I'd like to think the staff and players would talk frequently and openly enough to know where the players' heads are at, and how to get the best out of them. But it's hard for us to know, because naturally we're left in the dark, and so left hypothesising and squabbling with strangers on the internet :D

Absolutely!

We know so little its impossible to say what has/hasnt happened in any sort of absolute.

I wonder if Poch would consider going for a short-term Godin or some experience of that type? Would be a change in how he likes to keep his squad, but another old head in there -especially one who has won things- would not be bad. Let’s face it, a Chiellini type would be huge in terms of experience?

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino's "aggressive" actions were the reason he was given a two-match touchline ban for confronting referee Mike Dean, the Football Association says.

He accepted an FA charge of improper conduct for his actions after his side's defeat at Burnley last month.

Pochettino later said he was "in shock" at the "unfair" ban.

But the FA said although he did not use abusive or insulting language the actions merited a "sporting sanction".

Really? Ive seen MUCH more aggressive behaviour. This is a flimflam excuse. They went OTT and know it.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino's "aggressive" actions were the reason he was given a two-match touchline ban for confronting referee Mike Dean, the Football Association says.

He accepted an FA charge of improper conduct for his actions after his side's defeat at Burnley last month.

Pochettino later said he was "in shock" at the "unfair" ban.

But the FA said although he did not use abusive or insulting language the actions merited a "sporting sanction".

Really? Ive seen MUCH more aggressive behaviour. This is a flimflam excuse. They went OTT and know it.

Total flimflam isn’t it...

I’m not sure he’s right on this one. Questioning the players’ meteorology in the press doesn’t seem to have stopped our worst PL run for a number of years, so the effect doesn’t appear positive. I can’t think of a manager that the tactic’s worked for in the modern game - indeed, it usually ends up nowadays with the players staying put and the manager gone.

Well Stop! Hammer time, but for me its pretty obvious that some of the players are not getting the winning/winners mentality( we have lost to many crunch games over the last few seasons for there not to be a problem) Having played at a decent level ( and won trophys) i can say for sure that players know who in the dressing room has the right mentality and who has not.

I have no fear that the players in our dressing room know who has and who has not got that mentality, so i would not worry about what Poch has said will worry those who have it, the ones who do not have it will either get it or be moved on. When that happens it will be better for the team.

Back