• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Looking into the future is always fraught with danger. But let's look at likely/possible scenario for the end of this season and its possible consequences for next.

This season
Liverpool win the league.
City fail to win CL.
We move into new stadium and finish top 4.
OGS does enough to get man u job.

Close season we sign for instance the lad Fekir and say grey from Leicester.
Hazard leaves Chelsea.

Next season
Liverpool are dead on their feet, when did a team last defend the league successfully.
Pep really has to focus on CL.
OGS finds out what it really means to be man utd manager.
Chelsea have sold their best player.
Trying to be semi serious here so won't mention arsenal.
With the feel good factor of the new stadium I would say that for the first time we are serious title contenders.

All total pie in the sky stuff of course, but you can see why people get carried away.
Would be fun to revisit this this time next year.
Oh GHod.... Arsenal are going to win the league!!!!!! o_O

And for the record i disagree with Poch re whether a trophy will take us to the next level or not: In our situation i believe it absolutely will - in more ways than one.
But there we go...
If we went all out for either the Carabao Cup (as I think we actually did anyway) or the FA Cup at the expense of concentrating mainly on the Premier League and ended up winning one of those competitions but finishing outside of the top 4 then it wouldn't do anything to take us to the next level. In fact we would probably have to scale back our squad and the wages we would be able to offer next season as a result of the large drop in income that would occur through us missing the CL.

The first job is to build an income that allows us to compete on an even footing with the rest of the top 6 (or at least all of them other than the two Manchester clubs). This will allow us to have a deep squad full of quality, that then allows the club to have a proper tilt at all competitions rather than having to prioritise.

I think the difference is that Liverpool are currently sitting top of the league, having played a near flawless campaign so far in the league and Klopp has reached 2 European finals in his time ( as well as a domestic final I think). He's also won the league in Germany, a couple of cups and again, reached the CL final.

There's also the fact that the sports media in the UK is infested with previous Liverpool pundits so they do get a bit of an easier ride in general.

I think Poch is a bit too honest for his own good with some of these comments and ultimately gets a bit of stick from some for (seemingly) dismissing domestic trophies, having never won any himself and having not come close to winning either of the big 2 he talks about winning.

Is that fair? Potentially, potentially not.
Does that mean that anyone who doesn't like him saying it wants him out? No, I'd say there are a tiny minority of Spurs fans who think anything like that and I think it is unfair that Spurs fans who say they want to win some domestic trophies (and that in the past 3 years, we maybe should have won at least 1) are sometimes dismissed as fans who have fallen for the media narrative and can't think for themselves

Some very good posts over the last couple of pages but IMO this is the most relavent and the bolded bit especially.

Nobody is saying going out is deliberate @nayimfromthehalfwayline but as i say there comes a tipping point if we are trying to achieve PL/CL than we need to be like our competitors (who also want the same) and win a cup. It has been shown that top 4/6 teams overwhelmingly win the cups and we need to be part of that narrative and quit giving excuses as to why we are not.
If we do not win the cups, well that's football, but we should not dismiss it or think it is 'beneath us' (because it really isn't)
I think what you miss here is that our main competitors all bring in far more income than us. Currently even when Arsenal miss out on the Champions League they still bring in more income than we do when we make the Champions League. If we miss out on the Champions League it is a double whammy as one of our rivals who previously missed out instead gets into it, seeing a revenue swing of around £100 million between the two clubs.

A club like Man Utd can afford to miss out on the CL due to their ridiculous commercial revenue. Our commercial revenue is building nicely and increasing year on year as we establish ourselves as one of the regular Champions League clubs.

Winning the FA Cup would be wonderful for us fans and looking at it in isolation I would much prefer that than finishing in the top 4. However winning a single FA Cup does nothing to drag this club up and allow it to compete consistently with the rest of the top 6. The priorities of the club will change as we grow our finances. If we continue on our current trajectory then we will soon be able to operate a wage bill the same size of Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. We can then have a deeper squad of true quality. At that point we can start to properly compete for all trophies without having to worry so much about the consequences.

Be patient. We have spent umpteen years in the doldrums. The club have made MASSIVE strides under Pochettino and Levy and I trust the two of them together to get us to the point where we are able to achieve regular success. Why do you think supporters of so many clubs are so desperate to see Pochettino leave us? It is because they can see our constant improvement and can see that we, more than any other club in Europe, is managing to close the gap between the middleweights and the heavyweights.

If Poch had simply said "We tried but unfortunately we came up short, oh well, we keep trying" that's all he needed to say.

Saying "Again we're going to have the debate whether a trophy will take the club to the next level. I don't agree with it. It only builds your ego" was wrong imo.
Much like anyone saying "being in the top 4 and continually not winning anything only builds your ego" would/could have equally been dismissed.

As i say, at some point not winning a trophy cannot be dismissed like that. Certainly not after the number of years he has been in the job now. The discussion could be: mat what point DOES he have to win a trophy, but perhaps that's a discussion for another day..

As i say if all he had to say was what he did minus the above then i would have been absolutely fine.

I think Poch, quite rightly (and its really quite sad he has to do it) was trying to add some perspective to the crowds, who are unreasonably expectant of success.

He is already over delivering at this point. And for many it is still not enough. And so he has to speak out to try and balance the narrative that grows against him.

I still maintain, he has said nothing wrong in that interview. And, honestly, Im not seeing the issue you clearly are. It seems to me very much like you have added a lot of subtext to it yourself, and it is most likely that which you are railing against.

I would warn against setting a timeframe to demands cup success, I think that is path only to bad news.

I think we should all recognise just what a phenominal job has been done. Poch has said it, but people dont listen - we are literally YEARS ahead of schedule. And yet its not good enough!

Otherwise Id suggest reading @Finney Is Back post, he is spot on.

I think what you miss here is that our main competitors all bring in far more income than us. Currently even when Arsenal miss out on the Champions League they still bring in more income than we do when we make the Champions League. If we miss out on the Champions League it is a double whammy as one of our rivals who previously missed out instead gets into it, seeing a revenue swing of around £100 million between the two clubs.

A club like Man Utd can afford to miss out on the CL due to their ridiculous commercial revenue. Our commercial revenue is building nicely and increasing year on year as we establish ourselves as one of the regular Champions League clubs.

Winning the FA Cup would be wonderful for us fans and looking at it in isolation I would much prefer that than finishing in the top 4. However winning a single FA Cup does nothing to drag this club up and allow it to compete consistently with the rest of the top 6. The priorities of the club will change as we grow our finances. If we continue on our current trajectory then we will soon be able to operate a wage bill the same size of Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. We can then have a deeper squad of true quality. At that point we can start to properly compete for all trophies without having to worry so much about the consequences.

Be patient. We have spent umpteen years in the doldrums. The club have made MASSIVE strides under Pochettino and Levy and I trust the two of them together to get us to the point where we are able to achieve regular success. Why do you think supporters of so many clubs are so desperate to see Pochettino leave us? It is because they can see our constant improvement and can see that we, more than any other club in Europe, is managing to close the gap between the middleweights and the heavyweights.
Need to cut and paste this for the next GG meltdown.

And finally from a passionate news conference with Mauricio Pochettino, here's the Spurs boss on their lack of signings.

"For different circumstance the club has decided not to sign anyone," he said. "I understand everything, I understand the opinion about me.

"The most important thing is that we decide as a club. It is about the decision and working with the resources.

"My view must be different to the chief scout or chairman. Not because I don’t want to sign, it is because we can’t find the right player.

"I don’t know if we have the money. Maybe it is not the financial side. If we don’t sign it is because we can’t, not because we don’t want to."

And finally from a passionate news conference with Mauricio Pochettino, here's the Spurs boss on their lack of signings.

"For different circumstance the club has decided not to sign anyone," he said. "I understand everything, I understand the opinion about me.

"The most important thing is that we decide as a club. It is about the decision and working with the resources.

"My view must be different to the chief scout or chairman. Not because I don’t want to sign, it is because we can’t find the right player.

"I don’t know if we have the money. Maybe it is not the financial side. If we don’t sign it is because we can’t, not because we don’t want to."

Poch says ten different things in a single interview, but 'we're skint' is finally coming through, loud and clear.

We're skint, which makes all this talk of us waiting for the 'right player' useless. The right player costs nothing, plays for nothing and is still Poch's first choice - anything else doesn't fit into the constraints ENIC has us operating under.

Poch says ten different things in a single interview, but 'we're skint' is finally coming through, loud and clear.

We're skint, which makes all this talk of us waiting for the 'right player' useless. The right player costs nothing, plays for nothing and is still Poch's first choice - anything else doesn't fit into the constraints ENIC has us operating under.

I don't know if you've read the 'every word' transcript from Football.London, but I just did and 'we're skint' wasn't what I took from it at all. It's about the right player, as always. If we're in the stadium, that's when he thinks we will have no excuse and should start winning titles. It's a journey to get there.

Which was evident in his original comments. It must be tiresome for him to have to clarify. fudging hacks in the media really could help a bit instead of stoking the unnecessary misunderstandings.

I equally blame our fans....

Media is against us - Dont believe them they all lie.
See Media headline - See Poch wants out and Levy wont back him.

Everyone else - Reads full transcript, understands point,

I've said it before but i think the minute you see Levy Out signs, Poch wont see that as backing him over Levy, he will see it as the project not being supported by fans, as from everything he has said they are on the same page.
I hate to say its a modern issue, but it's a modern issue, everyone only believes the evidence they like, and ignores any research to the contrary.

The thought that some new owners are going to come in spend 200mil out of their pockets and not place that debt on the club, is absolute fantasy.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/3955/pochettino-pledges-stay-spurs-doc-1ct3683

"I love my job, I love my job. And of course I love a big challenge," Pochettino said on Tuesday.

"I am a very positive person and I am going to try and deliver in my job. I am going to going to stick with the club until the end to help the club achieve all they want.

"When I arrived at Tottenham I knew very well the challenge will be tough and what happen now will happen now.

"We are victims of our own success, the club was in a different level. No one believed in us, no one believed the way we operated from beginning will bring success to club.

"Of course club played once in 22 years in the Champions League and now after four years we played three times in row - that was the dream of our fans, our staff and players to play in Champions League.

"The principal thing that we need to clarify, our fans need to know, when you ask me if I agree to win a domestic cup will help us to achieve the last level, I cannot agree."

- Something missing -

Tottenham haven't won silverware since 2008,

"In the last four or five years we played in four semi-finals, one final, I think we try, we were there, we were close," Pochettino said.

The former Southampton manager admitted his team still aren't the finished article after over four years in charge.

"Right now we are focused on trying to win every game in every competition, but for different reasons we are still missing something that means we cannot deliver."

Pochettino does deserve credit for making Tottenham a consistent presence in the top four despite spending far less than their Premier League rivals.

They could go through two successive transfer windows without signing anyone if Pochettino doesn't bring in a new recruit by Thursday's deadline.

Pochettino said last week that the club were working on some options to bolster their squad before the January window shuts, but he is now not expecting any incomings.

"You know how we work," Pochettino said. "In the last minute everything can happen. Of course different players maybe will have the opportunity to leave the club.

"We're going to see. Of course there's not too much time.

"A few days ago I was very optimistic about some options to sign - realistic options to sign - but today no, I'm not optimistic."

Chuffing brilliant press conference from Pochettino.
https://www.football.london/tottenh...lts/pochettino-ill-stick-spurs-until-15748067

Lots of quoteable quotes and emotive language. Inspiring.
I absolutely believe that this man gets it and understands what is needed and is blessed with proper perspective and the determination to do what is necessary, wade through the mire and drag this club upwards to that top level.

I don't know if you've read the 'every word' transcript from Football.London, but I just did and 'we're skint' wasn't what I took from it at all. It's about the right player, as always. If we're in the stadium, that's when he thinks we will have no excuse and should start winning titles. It's a journey to get there.

“I don't know .. it’s an easy answer, because Tottenham we have plenty of opportunity to sign, for different reasons it is difficult to explain to you that we can’t sign, not because we don't want“

I concur - the above suggests we have money

That’s how I read it any way

You are laughable.
Thank you. I am enjoying laughing at you.
I don't enjoy pitying you though, that's a sad state of affairs that you're stuck in such a mentality.

You are laughable.
Thank you. I am enjoying laughing at you.
I don't enjoy pitying you though, that's a sad state of affairs that you're stuck in such a meteorology.

Glad to be of service. I wish I could I say the same, but from what little I've noticed, there's nothing in your posts that is even worth the effort to laugh at.

Liverpool living their fantasy, I see.

FSG have provided Loans to Liverpool so not sure what your point is, actually i know what your point is, everyone does. Magic up a billionaire who will spend loads of money as a gift to Tottenham.

If a player (Rabiot, Willian etc etc) doesn't want to come just give them more money, if that annoys Kane then just pay him some more.

You seem to prefer the chelsea model, get 1.2billion in debt with the hope that the success you achieve, generates enough income to buy more players and continued success. Its a well trodden argument however what youre asking for is a massive gamble with little to no guarantee of success, especially with the inflation of players costs and wages.

Back