• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I'm not critical of people who are critical of Jose, tactics, style of play or results (those are real things)
- I'm critical of starting a conversation with Dinosaur, can't coach, is horrible human being, we have no tactics, stuff that is basically name calling.

Lets talk about Poch, He wanted out, probably before the CL final, if he had walked I'd be a lot more sympathetic to him, instead (facts, not name calling)

- He stayed until we had to fire him, which was extra 3+ months of death spiral (continuing from previous season)
- He pushed Dembele out (go read Dembele's interview after leaving, he wanted to stay but his body couldn't handle Poch's training sessions)
- He spent the run up to CL Final creating confusion with his perhaps I leave after this instead of prepping team appropriately. This plus Dembele (see above) combined with the fact that Klopp in contrast was paying a Spanish side to play like Spurs shows why we brick the bed
- If he had resigned after CL final we could have addressed the Eriksen, Jan, Toby situations with a new manager and a pre-season
- He took his full pay-out for him and staff by forcing the fire which is absolutely his choice but lets not pretend it didn't hurt the club financially

Honestly it doesn't take away from his achievements, but it certainly gives me nothing to want him back because for all his claim of love for Spurs, he fudged us on the way out.
:D:D

I'm not critical of people who are critical of Jose, tactics, style of play or results (those are real things)
- I'm critical of starting a conversation with Dinosaur, can't coach, is horrible human being, we have no tactics, stuff that is basically name calling.

Lets talk about Poch, He wanted out, probably before the CL final, if he had walked I'd be a lot more sympathetic to him, instead (facts, not name calling)

- He stayed until we had to fire him, which was extra 3+ months of death spiral (continuing from previous season)
- He pushed Dembele out (go read Dembele's interview after leaving, he wanted to stay but his body couldn't handle Poch's training sessions)
- He spent the run up to CL Final creating confusion with his perhaps I leave after this instead of prepping team appropriately. This plus Dembele (see above) combined with the fact that Klopp in contrast was paying a Spanish side to play like Spurs shows why we brick the bed
- If he had resigned after CL final we could have addressed the Eriksen, Jan, Toby situations with a new manager and a pre-season
- He took his full pay-out for him and staff by forcing the fire which is absolutely his choice but lets not pretend it didn't hurt the club financially

Honestly it doesn't take away from his achievements, but it certainly gives me nothing to want him back because for all his claim of love for Spurs, he fudged us on the way out.

You don't want him back? All good. But the way you try to justify it? Deary me...

Think carefully. You say he stayed three months longer to force his contract. Why do you think Levy signed Ndombele and (eventually, typical DL) LoCelso? Do you think Poch sat there thinking, "I'll fudge this club all ways, including letting them buy me a player or two?" Do you know about their late summer meeting? Didn't think so.

Dembele had wanted to try China for some time, which is why he had been taking mandarin lessons. Yes, the manager's training was too much for him in the end (even though as I understand it he got a modified program for a while) but what do you expect the manager to do? Sorry, this is simply inaccurate.

The confusion leading to the CL Final had as much to do with the behaviour of others as him. Yes, he got a bit weird, but there were reasons.

He took his full pay-off? Good. He deserved it and he deserves better support and the chance to rebuild like he'd been asking.

"fudged us on the way out"...did he invite Mourinho to those early games at the Lane as a "special guest"? Right.

The biggest mistake he made was that book, which IMO was a disastrous thing to do even if it was for a mate. He should never have done that. You don't mention it? Strange.

Hmm. You insist you don't want him back but your reasoning screams that you NEED him back.

I asked "Would we even want this loser back now?! Of course we would. We're that desperate to get out of being apathetical about Spurs?"

An' lookit that. Up on your hind legs and roaring like you haven't done all season. I'll put you down as an ardent Monaco fan the rest of the way.

Now. Would PSG consider a straight swap of managers?

I've said it before and continue to believe that pochs closed-circle style of management will limit his achievements. It takes young ones further but lacks the ruthlessness to win at all costs.

But I love the man, nice guy and all...

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Agreed. I’ve said on here before that I thought he’d struggle at a really big club. He was snippy enough here with the press when the heat was on, so I do think he’ll find working in a proper goldfish bowl a real challenge. I’m also not sure that a team of established ‘superstars’ will fancy the training workload, or having to cover the ground expected in games.

Hope I’m wrong, though. It’s interesting to watch.

You don't want him back? All good. But the way you try to justify it? Deary me...

Think carefully. You say he stayed three months longer to force his contract. Why do you think Levy signed Ndombele and (eventually, typical DL) LoCelso? Do you think Poch sat there thinking, "I'll fudge this club all ways, including letting them buy me a player or two?" Do you know about their late summer meeting? Didn't think so.

Dembele had wanted to try China for some time, which is why he had been taking mandarin lessons. Yes, the manager's training was too much for him in the end (even though as I understand it he got a modified program for a while) but what do you expect the manager to do? Sorry, this is simply inaccurate.

The confusion leading to the CL Final had as much to do with the behaviour of others as him. Yes, he got a bit weird, but there were reasons.

He took his full pay-off? Good. He deserved it and he deserves better support and the chance to rebuild like he'd been asking.

"fudged us on the way out"...did he invite Mourinho to those early games at the Lane as a "special guest"? Right.

The biggest mistake he made was that book, which IMO was a disastrous thing to do even if it was for a mate. He should never have done that. You don't mention it? Strange.

Let me help you clarify

- He wanted out before the CL, he was burned out, go look at the interviews, the results were already a disaster

- Dembele was taking Mandarin because he had explained his problem (the training on his body) to Poch, who's response was fine but I need more time, so Dembele gave us another year if I recall correctly from his interview, so Dembele started preparing for his exit (not the other way around).

- No mate, the brick re the CL final is on him, the whole messaging re "this is the best we can do" vs. this should be our stepping stone to push on is management 101 type errors

- He took his full pay out, great for him and his opportunity/right to do so, thing is I don't support Poch, I support Spurs, so his "deserved it" cost the club I support a lot of money and hurt our ability to compete this season (his pay out might have been the difference between Rodon and Skrinar)

My biggest issue -> Poch had a chance to leave a hero despite all his fudge ups, he knew he was done, he knew the team needed a refresh, he could have gone to Levy after the CL final (which he flew home from separately from team) and said, lets come to an agreement, pay me out a settlement, you get a fresh start to season and I get the break I need. Instead he hung on (not in it mentally) hurt our season, hurt us fiscally, for what?

All of that is his choice, but lets not pretend he's the good guy who we should welcome back in with open arms. You don't go back to a brick ex because the first few years were good.

p.s. I could care less about his book

Let me help you clarify

- He wanted out before the CL, he was burned out, go look at the interviews, the results were already a disaster

- Dembele was taking Mandarin because he had explained his problem (the training on his body) to Poch, who's response was fine but I need more time, so Dembele gave us another year if I recall correctly from his interview, so Dembele started preparing for his exit (not the other way around).

- No mate, the brick re the CL final is on him, the whole messaging re "this is the best we can do" vs. this should be our stepping stone to push on is management 101 type errors

- He took his full pay out, great for him and his opportunity/right to do so, thing is I don't support Poch, I support Spurs, so his "deserved it" cost the club I support a lot of money and hurt our ability to compete this season (his pay out might have been the difference between Rodon and Skrinar)

My biggest issue -> Poch had a chance to leave a hero despite all his fudge ups, he knew he was done, he knew the team needed a refresh, he could have gone to Levy after the CL final (which he flew home from separately from team) and said, lets come to an agreement, pay me out a settlement, you get a fresh start to season and I get the break I need. Instead he hung on (not in it mentally) hurt our season, hurt us fiscally, for what?

All of that is his choice, but lets not pretend he's the good guy who we should welcome back in with open arms. You don't go back to a brick ex because the first few years were good.

Got to love Winston Smith. Especially on a double-down...

:)

Last edited:
Ahh, no thanks ..

The fudging guy left the side in a death spiral, milked the club for every cent of his contract, pushed Dembele out of the side, disillusioned several senior players, effectively lost us Eriksen, brick the bed in the one game that mattered and people want him back?

But hey, he's a nicer guy than Jose ..

He’s magic you know!!

Some fans still get bleary eyed when his name is mentioned

Incredible

Fair enough, I just felt that your initial language was similarly hyperbolic ('death spiral', 'milked the club', 'brick the bed', 'the one game that mattered' etc).

But thanks for taking the time to explain your criticisms in more detail.

- I agree that his talk of leaving in the lead-up to the CL final was poor. Though I think it was clearly his frustration at the transfer constraints boiling over, and I can forgive him for that given everything he'd achieved for us previously. And you can't criticise him for the final whilst giving him no credit for getting us to the final in the first place (with a midfield of Winks and Sissoko, and an injured Kane for the QF and SF).
- I can't read the full Dembele article as it's behind a paywall, but given that he ended up in China for £11m, it sounds like his body just sadly wasn't up to playing at the top level anymore (rather than being 'pushed out' by Poch)
- The rest of your points all relate to Poch resigning at the end of the season rather than staying on and then getting fired - a rather high bar that virtually no manager meets, so seems an odd criticism to me.

Anyway I'm not particularly interested in debating Poch at length - I just found myself here whilst trying to procrastinate at work, and couldn't help but point out what seemed to me like hypocritically hyperbolic tone.

You most certainly can criticise him for the CL final
Playing a clearly unfit Kane while dropping the in form striker that got us there after the Semi was unforgivable
I will never forgive him for it or refusing to travel back with the team the next day after destabilising the side by threatening to resign just before it

Agreed. I’ve said on here before that I thought he’d struggle at a really big club. He was snippy enough here with the press when the heat was on, so I do think he’ll find working in a proper goldfish bowl a real challenge. I’m also not sure that a team of established ‘superstars’ will fancy the training workload, or having to cover the ground expected in games.

Hope I’m wrong, though. It’s interesting to watch.

PSG is a challenge for sure. It has played many far more successful than him.

You most certainly can criticise him for the CL final
Playing a clearly unfit Kane while dropping the in form striker that got us there after the Semi was unforgivable
I will never forgive him for it or refusing to travel back with the team the next day after destabilising the side by threatening to resign just before it

This -I agree- was a poor decision. Disappointment aside, he should've chinned up and shown the collective. It was another moment where the personal problems he and the upper mgmt/chairman had been having for some time boiled over, but whilst I understand his disappointment, I don't disagree he made a poor move there.

The revision of his history with us though? Nah. Not having it mate. In fact, it is IMO laughable the stretches I'm seeing.

Let me help you clarify

What a horrific, petulant set of anti Poch rants @Raziel. You are so much better than this nonsense.

On Dembele, this is what he had to say about Poch:-

When he came, everything changed,” Dembélé says. “He demanded a lot from everyone in the club. It’s intense but you can see a lot of change in Tottenham. When I was there the amount spent compared to other clubs was not the same but we had so many good results, so obviously he had a big effect on Tottenham and made it a much better club.”

“You want to win something and we didn’t, so this was obviously a bit frustrating,” Dembélé says. “There were moments when we could and we didn’t do well, some games that were very important and we didn’t succeed, so this was frustrating because you play for this.

“You know, even if you like him or don’t like him, it’s about his effect on the club, what he did, how the club changed compared to previous managers,” he says. “Other clubs can see this. Tottenham is totally different than it was before, and he deserves to be in a top team.

“He is a coach that needs to be able to have all the team behind him because they demand a lot, and I think the whole team needs to believe this. That’s the good thing at Tottenham because all the players were really behind him. I don’t know now, but when I was there everybody did what they were asked and everybody trained 200, 300 per cent.”

Why are you making out he ruined Dembele? On the contrary he made Dembele one of the finest midfielders in the PL. Dembele’s body couldn’t take it in the end, but that is the price of becoming that top player.

Poch milked the club? Jesus wept. How much money do you think his success brought the club during his 5 years? He could have gone to Levy and asked to be paid out? Which manager does that? Kevin Keegan perhaps. You want him to be our manager? Do you think Jose will do that? Did he resign from Chelsea when they were poor or was he sacked? Levy loved Poch, described his sacking as one of the hardest things he had done. I don’t think Levy felt Poch was milking the club.

I get it you didn’t like Poch. That’s your prerogative. But please stop making this nonsense up.

What a horrific, petulant set of anti Poch rants @Raziel. You are so much better than this nonsense.

When he came, everything changed,” Dembélé says. “He demanded a lot from everyone in the club. It’s intense but you can see a lot of change in Tottenham. When I was there the amount spent compared to other clubs was not the same but we had so many good results, so obviously he had a big effect on Tottenham and made it a much better club.”

“You want to win something and we didn’t, so this was obviously a bit frustrating,” Dembélé says. “There were moments when we could and we didn’t do well, some games that were very important and we didn’t succeed, so this was frustrating because you play for this.

“You know, even if you like him or don’t like him, it’s about his effect on the club, what he did, how the club changed compared to previous managers,” he says. “Other clubs can see this. Tottenham is totally different than it was before, and he deserves to be in a top team.

“He is a coach that needs to be able to have all the team behind him because they demand a lot, and I think the whole team needs to believe this. That’s the good thing at Tottenham because all the players were really behind him. I don’t know now, but when I was there everybody did what they were asked and everybody trained 200, 300 per cent.”

Why are you making out he ruined Dembele? On the contrary he made Dembele one of the finest midfielders in the PL. Dembele’s body couldn’t take it in the end, but that is the price of becoming that top player.

Poch milked the club? Jesus wept. How much money do you think his success brought the club during his 5 years? He could have gone to Levy and asked to be paid out? Which manager does that? Kevin Keegan perhaps. You want him to be our manager? Do you think Jose will do that? Did he resign from Chelsea when they were poor or was he sacked? Levy loved Poch, described his sacking as one of the hardest things he had done. I don’t think Levy felt Poch was milking the club.

I get it you didn’t like Poch. That’s your prerogative. But please stop making this nonsense up.

Mate, I'll dig it up, I don't make brick up

- There is an interview with Dembele well after he left, the first ones post leaving were standard PR brick. In it he details his struggles with Poch's training, his belief he could have still played for Spurs in the PL, just not play and Poch's training.

- You are making brick up, I never said he "ruined" Dembele, he effectively made him leave which in my opinion probably cost him his job and us the CL, he should have taken a King type approach to managing him because he was such a unique player

- He cost us £20.5M fudging pounds to make him and his staff go away before our position got any worse, again you are more than entitled to side with him and believe he deserved it, but see above, I'm not part of a Poch message board and that £20M cost us.

Again, my response of all of this was utter at total disbelief that people would welcome him back with open arms

- You going to be happy to pay him another £20M when it goes wrong again?

I don't dislike Poch, I hope he wins everything (any competition we are not it) with PSG

But he overstayed his fudging welcome and I don't want him back because it would not be a good move for Spurs ..

He had his time, some of it good, the end quite bad, like your ex, the start doesn't matter, the end does.

Agreed!!!

This -I agree- was a poor decision. Disappointment aside, he should've chinned up and shown the collective. It was another moment where the personal problems he and the upper mgmt/chairman had been having for some time boiled over, but whilst I understand his disappointment, I don't disagree he made a poor move there.

The revision of his history with us though? Nah. Not having it mate. In fact, it is IMO laughable the stretches I'm seeing.

I think @Raziel has nailed it in his posts and bound to upset Poch fans no matter how laughable you may find it but he was a nice guy!

I think @Raziel has nailed it in his posts and bound to upset Poch fans no matter how laughable you may find it but he was a nice guy!

Just to give you some history re: Raz and laughing. He struck the first note in the "amused" stakes with regards to this whole topic, so it was a return of that compliment. I would say I don't care but that'd be a lie. I don't think re-writing history to suit an opinion is the greatest thing personally, and I think if we're all honest, we all tend to do that. We're supporters. That is the gist of it. Ultimately though, I like to believe that if presented with irrefutable evidence, it is an opportunity to learn, and as such, we hold our hands up and say "I see, my bad." Beyond that, these things remain opinion. Again, that's great, how lucky we are to be able to have our own and share them freely. But they are opinions unless proven otherwise.

FWIW, and I have not said anything about this yet, I think it would be a mistake to have him back, as much as I like the concept. The moment was there, we had our chance, for a variety of reasons the chance went away and it would most likely not work to have him back. The ONLY possible path for that would be with a completely new ownership and limitless resources. For now, I am hopeful that Mourinho can deliver on his legacy now he is in the last chance saloon and win the Europa. I further give him credit for his work with Scarlett, a youth who he can for sure claim full dibs on development of IMO. I am glad to see he is blooding the kids where he can. Here's hoping he wins the Europa.

p.s. the greatest irony of this thread is that I agree with many of Raziel's views in other areas. Ah well, what a boring world if we all agreed all the time.

Mate, I'll dig it up, I don't make brick up

- There is an interview with Dembele well after he left, the first ones post leaving were standard PR brick. In it he details his struggles with Poch's training, his belief he could have still played for Spurs in the PL, just not play and Poch's training.

- You are making brick up, I never said he "ruined" Dembele, he effectively made him leave which in my opinion probably cost him his job and us the CL, he should have taken a King type approach to managing him because he was such a unique player

- He cost us £20.5M fudging pounds to make him and his staff go away before our position got any worse, again you are more than entitled to side with him and believe he deserved it, but see above, I'm not part of a Poch message board and that £20M cost us.

Again, my response of all of this was utter at total disbelief that people would welcome him back with open arms

- You going to be happy to pay him another £20M when it goes wrong again?

I don't dislike Poch, I hope he wins everything (any competition we are not it) with PSG

But he overstayed his fudging welcome and I don't want him back because it would not be a good move for Spurs ..

He had his time, some of it good, the end quite bad, like your ex, the start doesn't matter, the end does.
On him overstaying his welcome and taking the big payout, yeah. That's not great.

I'd expect the same from Mourinho. I'd expect the same from any good manager we could get in. It's extremely rare for managers to just volunteer to leave without taking the money. If that's the standard to hold Pochettino to if he comes back or should be the same for others and we'd have to get who? Ledley?

He had his flaws, and they all do. This particular one is to me is a bit unfair as it's pretty much how everyone operates.

If I'd want him back or not... Not now, not in the next handful of years. At some point, maybe. Compared to most managers at most clubs his successful period was better and longer. The downturn is no more likely or painful with him than others imo.

On him overstaying his welcome and taking the big payout, yeah. That's not great.

I'd expect the same from Mourinho. I'd expect the same from any good manager we could get in. It's extremely rare for managers to just volunteer to leave without taking the money. If that's the standard to hold Pochettino to if he comes back or should be the same for others and we'd have to get who? Ledley?

I'd expect Jose to take every cent, the difference is

- Poch constantly proclaims his love for the club, Jose admits it's his job (he may love his job but his loyalty is to who is currently paying him)
- Some people want to make Poch out to be some fudging saint who Spurs wronged

All I'm saying is he wasn't some saint who put Spurs above all else, he did what was right for him (and fair play) but if we just do what is right for each other, he hasn't earned a return especially when we just barely finished paying him off.

He had his flaws, and they all do. This particular one is to me is a bit unfair as it's pretty much how everyone operates.

If I'd want him back or not... Not now, not in the next handful of years. At some point, maybe. Compared to most managers at most clubs his successful period was better and longer. The downturn is no more likely or painful with him than others imo.

I just think that's conjecture.
I know there was a stand-off in the summer, and it took a while before he and Levy got together for talks. I have to presume that in those talks, each received assurances from the other that their bygones were just that and it was onwards.
So at this point, either one believes Pochettino (and his staff) spent three months lying, or there was a further breakdown. Add the fact that Mourinho was seen as a guest at early season games, and I think it somewhat throws a spanner into the idea that Pochettino stuck around just for the money.

Just to address Raziel's comment here too, where the biggest debate about Pochettino arose was in whether he deserved the chance to build another side or not. That was always the point of the debate.

Tis academic now. Two years gone, and not coming back I wouldn't think. Which is probably right (unless the owners changed). Besides, if Mourinho gets CL and a trophy this season (even if he just got CL) he'd deserve the chance to continue.

Back