• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I genuinely believe it is a combination of money and superb coaching. The latter acts as a catalyst with the former.

Coaching, club mentality (see Madrid that somehow fudging change into a different side in knockout rounds) and lots of luck (draw, injuries, etc.)

The coaching one is interesting with the Pep example, won CL twice with a once in a generation team, then has basically brick the bed for a decade with 3 of the top teams in Europe with almost unlimited budget ..

Coaching, club meteorology (see Madrid that somehow fudging change into a different side in knockout rounds) and lots of luck (draw, injuries, etc.)

The coaching one is interesting with the Pep example, won CL twice with a once in a generation team, then has basically brick the bed for a decade with 3 of the top teams in Europe with almost unlimited budget ..

Barca and Bayern both won it before and after his time too.

He's underachieved in the CL with the resources he's had.

So if he or Pep were to win the champions League it would somehow be diminished as an achievement because of their money? I think money certainly gives a manager an advantage but if money was the main factor both PSG and City would have won multiple Champions League trophies by now.
Yep.

Any manager failing to win every trophy available with what City have spent is failing. Unless PSG beat them.

He's never won a trophy and so what's the point. Levy should get us a manager who is a winner, who has won things, who has won more trophies as a manager than we have as a club. When he does that it will be so bloody good.

You could say that the new mantra is that suddenly Dier Winks Sissoko Davies Bergwijn Sanchez Aurier Lamela are all top four material!

So arguably Levy had done a sterling job with our squad!

Therefore his only mistake was sacking Poch and hiring Jose?

So therefore we don’t need any new players now because apparently any “champo squad” can get top four with Nagelsman or Brendan Rogers!!

Super

It will be very interesting to see how the season plays out for Pochettino Saint-Germain.

Third place PSG are in a real dogfight for the Ligue Unnhh! title. They play a crucial match at home with fourth place Monaco on Sunday. Lose that - or merely draw - and they fall back. CL qualification begins to come into question. Pochettino's tenure is not the most secure. He only has one more year on his contract and I bet PSG's sheikhs consider him affordably expendable if he fails to hit all the desired targets.

He could easily be available again in a year or so, just as Mourinho's tenure winds down. If circumstances play out accordingly, I'd have him back. And I'd bet he'd come back. Perfect little respite for all parties involved to appreciate what they had at Spurs.

And the rarest of opportunities to put things right.

Well, well, well. Is our man Mauricio soon to be out of a job?

Would we even want this loser back now?! Of course we would. We're that desperate to get out of being apathetical about Spurs.

Last edited:
Coaching, club meteorology (see Madrid that somehow fudging change into a different side in knockout rounds) and lots of luck (draw, injuries, etc.)

Barca and Bayern both won it before and after his time too.

He's underachieved in the CL with the resources he's had.

The differential between the resources of the teams participating in the CL compared to those in the PL, especially the top ones, is far less. That makes it harder to dominate. I think it is also uncommon for teams to win their domestic leagues and the CL in the same season.

By your measure Jose also consistently “brick the bed” with both Chelsea and Real. In reality, winning the Champions League is much harder than most fans give credit for.

The differential between the resources of the teams participating in the CL compared to those in the PL, especially the top ones, is far less. That makes it harder to dominate. I think it is also uncommon for teams to win their domestic leagues and the CL in the same season.

By your measure Jose also consistently “brick the bed” with both Chelsea and Real. In reality, winning the Champions League is much harder than most fans give credit for.

Come on mate, Pep has spent £1B+ pounds at City (almost £400M recently on defence alone) and not made a CL final, the Bayern team he failed with has won pre and post him, going on to wipe the floor with other teams, and surely you don't want me list out the players in his Barca side he failed with?

Yes, CL is fudging hard to win, but Pep has had 3 of the best teams in Europe over 10 years, for extended periods of management, with almost unlimited budget and hasn't got close, to compare that to Chelsea who has no European heritage and has one CL once in their life and what 2years with Real? not quite apples to apples ..

Come on mate, Pep has spent £1B+ pounds at City (almost £400M recently on defence alone) and not made a CL final, the Bayern team he failed with has won pre and post him, going on to wipe the floor with other teams, and surely you don't want me list out the players in his Barca side he failed with?

Yes, CL is fudging hard to win, but Pep has had 3 of the best teams in Europe over 10 years, for extended periods of management, with almost unlimited budget and hasn't got close, to compare that to Chelsea who has no European heritage and has one CL once in their life and what 2years with Real? not quite apples to apples ..

What pedigree do City have in Europe? Pep had 3 seasons at Bayern compared to Jose’s 2 and he won pretty much every trophy except the CL. Chelsea had unlimited funds in relative terms during Jose’s first stint there. RM have won 4 CL trophies since Jose. Chelsea 1. So it is apples and apples really.

Now I don’t believe Jose brick the bed at all nor am I a cheerleader for Pep, but rather that winning the CL is damn difficult even with massive resources, especially if you are also competing for other trophies in the same season. If City do it this year then Pep deserves his plaudits.

Last edited:
What pedigree do City have in Europe? Pep had 3 seasons at Bayern compared to Jose’s 2 and he won pretty much every trophy except the CL. Chelsea had unlimited funds during Jose’s first stint there. RM have won 4 CL trophies since Jose. Chelsea 1. So it is apples and apples really.

Now I don’t believe Jose brick the bed at all nor am I a cheerleader for Pep, but rather that winning the CL is damn difficult even with massive resources, especially if you are also competing for other trophies in the same season. If City do it this year then Pep deserves his plaudits.

We both agree CL is extremely hard, where we disagree is

- Pep's mandate at Bayern was to win CL, his mandate in last 3 odd years in City is win CL (it's their priority), Chelsea's priority was to win the PL (in Jose's first stint)
- If Pep wins this year, he will deserve plaudits, don't see it happening unless someone takes care for Bayern for him

We both agree CL is extremely hard, where we disagree is

- Pep's mandate at Bayern was to win CL, his mandate in last 3 odd years in City is win CL (it's their priority), Chelsea's priority was to win the PL (in Jose's first stint)
- If Pep wins this year, he will deserve plaudits, don't see it happening unless someone takes care for Bayern for him
Wasn’t Jose’s mandate to bring “La Decima” to Madrid? Ancelotti eventually did that. Even if he didn’t win the CL at Real, Jose didn’t fail, but neither imho did Pep at Bayern.

Didnt Jose win the league and champions league double the years he won it?

Wasn’t Jose’s mandate to bring “La Decima” to Madrid? Ancelotti eventually did that. Even if he didn’t win the CL at Real, Jose didn’t fail, but neither imho did Pep at Bayern.
Sorry what was la Decima?
I know Jose’s remit was to beat Barca to the title. He did do that

Back