• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Who has said he didn’t improve players?
id be stunned if any of our fans think that

I’ve seen the argument that a lot of players bought in under his tenure failed under him and therefore lost value (I put the numbers up on the previous page). That’s not a good sign as it shows a scatter gun approach by the club and he of course was the man in charge at the time so is a significant part of that.

it’s also worth looking at selling players or releasing players like Trippier and Llorente this season without adequate cover or replacements. And neither went late in the window or where we linked with replacements.

it also needs to be factored in that we improved so much under his time the type of players we needed changed to make actual improvements and that’s even harder. It’s why Jose said this is the ground Poch helped build
Problem is that Levy always seems to want to move a player on before bringing one in. I guess we’ll never know if Poch asked for replacements for each only for the club not to deliver the player (pretty sure we were quite heavily linked to Atal in last summer’s window. We were also interested in both Wan Bissaka and Aarons)

Klopp's done it in every final he's ever contested - people think he's a good coach.
Or did they just play against bigger teams with more money invested in their squads and therefore deeper and fresher squads giving an advantage later in the season when fatigue and injuries kick in?

I hope we do give him at least that over the same 5 year period..... only this time without forcing him to generate £280 million of it in sales.
As I said yesterday... we was generating sales selling players that were already here before he came mainly... the ones he brought and sold actually we took a big loss on
That’s arguably clearing our the players he didn’t want
The issue now is that the players we don’t want don’t have any real value

Problem is that Levy always seems to want to move a player on before bringing one in. I guess we’ll never know if Poch asked for replacements for each only for the club not to deliver the player (pretty sure we were quite heavily linked to Atal in last summer’s window. We were also interested in both Wan Bissaka and Aarons)

I don’t really remember is linked solidly with any defenders
I do remember odd bits of speculation and all the ones you mention came up
But the players we were solidly linked with from day 1 we brought

And I do get not buying until we have shifted a player on as the squad ends up with too many players and some become unhappy. Poch alway said he wanted a happy squad and it sensible

the other way to do it is loans like we have done recently for Lo Celso and Fernandes

For me it's generating the kind of elite performances from a team Poch could until the pressure started.

A great coach is one that can do that when the pressure's on too.

Until the pressure started? Or until we replaced Walker with Aurier, Wanyama and Dembele with no one, and had to play at Wembley for two years?

Much like Poch, he once had the ability not to bottle then spent years bottling every final.

He probably should have just done what almost every single manager we've had in our history has done and just bottled it in the earlier stages instead.

Also, the mental gymnastics of sports fans is one of the wonders of the modern world imo. :D

Now net spend isn't a good barometer to use for measuring the difficulty of the job? I've never known a group of fans who advocate for net spend as much as Spurs fans traditionally have (maybe Liverpool fans). Including some of the ones on this thread who now seem to think its a silly measure.

Always interesting to see how things change around.

Also, the mental gymnastics of sports fans is one of the wonders of the modern world imo. :D

Now net spend isn't a good barometer to use for measuring the difficulty of the job? I've never known a group of fans who advocate for net spend as much as Spurs fans traditionally have (maybe Liverpool fans). Including some of the ones on this thread who now seem to think its a silly measure.

Always interesting to see how things change around.
The issue is nett spend is being used to argue he wasn’t backed
I’d argue he spent £400m on players in his time here so he was backed
The issue is or was that a lot of those players volume wise flopped and propel then say that’s not his fault... but of course he is culpable at least in part as he was in the decision tree to buy those players
And as I highlighted the other night we actually have 14 players here’s out of the 27 brought under Poch so he did mould his squad significantly
And the other flip side to net spend is how many of the players we sold under Poch were Poch players vs how many were here already or we’re youth team ones we made a big profit on... most is the answer

He probably should have just done what almost every single manager we've had in our history has done and just bottled it in the earlier stages instead.
I'm not saying previous managers would have done better, just that he fudged up.

It was time to move to a manager used to working under the pressure of being at the pointy end.

Captain Hindsight said:
Should have done it 6 months sooner

Back