• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Religious love for Poch? Or rather tremendous respect and affection for a manager that has taken us to levels in the premier league and champions league, we could only have dreamt of before 2014? It’s not a religious love for Poch because that implies faith, it is love borne out of what we have seen him achieve.

As for the edge to win trophies, to paraphrase Redknapp “I must have missed all those league titles and Champions League trophies Spurs were winning before he arrived.”

I just don’t get, when all things are considered, how @Nigeyman’s criticism stands up to any reasonable scrutiny. Because Poch hasn’t won a League cup like Ramos or Graham or an FA cup like Venables ? He has changed us from being the “best of the rest” to becoming real contenders for the big prizes, on a relative shoe string against teams with far more resources. He’s finished second in the league and a Champions League runner up despite most windows not getting in the players he wants. No manager of Spurs not even the great Keith Burkinshaw comes that close to winning the biggest trophies since, well Bill Nicholson.

Just look at Arsenal and look at United if you want to see the decline that sets in when the man at the helm is not up to the job.

I am unashamedly a Poch fan, I find it hard to believe that there are Spurs fans out there who are not. The man has done wonders for this club and long may he continue.

He's the best pound for pound manager in England by some distance. I doubt anyone could do the job he's done on the same budget. Let's get behind him and hope that we get to see what he can do with a little more money.

He's the best pound for pound manager in England by some distance. I doubt anyone could do the job he's done on the same budget. Let's get behind him and hope that we get to see what he can do with a little more money.
Absolutely this. You know what @Nigeyman may think I am biased about Poch, so he should post the above on a non Spurs forum. Of course ignoring twisted and bitter Arsenal, Wham and Chelsea fans, most reasonable, impartial football observers would agree that he is an exceptional manager and many would covet him for their club. You think Roman wouldn’t want him at Chelsea? Woodward wouldn’t want him at United?

Well I’m absolutely gutted and heartbroken to be honest after last night.

I haven’t posted and left it for a bit since the Ajax game where I opened up and gave my honest thoughts on here about Pochettino.

What Pochettino has done over 5 years is tremendous work, our progressive journey on and off the pitch has been very notable.

Despite all the furore of my questioning Poch I stand by my original thoughts I laid bare before that second leg.

I believe in what I see and how I feel about our form and style of play post Christmas, whereas before Mr Pochettino was truly positive for us in press conferences, since then I feel his strange ramblings has been a negative and hindered us.

I observed Klopp in the run up to the game, the rhetoric was all positive, a focus, a determination.

On our side a circus. One minute he may go, next minute he might stay, will he play Kane, surely we wouldn’t want to do a turd on Moura the man who got us to the final...but yes he did. Kane and Winks were not fit, Kane was totally out of it that first half.

Every person in the world makes mistakes but not every one learns from them. Kane should not have started against Burnley at turf moor and he should not have started last night...because it was detrimental to the whole team and horrifically unfair on Lucas and primarily it’s best for the player to come on as a sub after about sixty minutes returning from that kind of injury.

No one will convince me that Pochettino is not an excellent manager yet no one will be able to convince me that he has that extra edge to win trophies but most crucially not to lose your sheet before the mother of all games, which he has done in two finals.

Again I do strongly feel he has let praise get to him to dangerous ‘I’m bigger than the club levels’ he has not delivered us a trophy, it’s an extremely difficult thing to do, I personally feel it’s beyond him, and I won’t make apologies for my views and I don’t feel I need a straight jacket.

I’ll always rate Pochettino as excellent but I feel there is a class above that, I’d rather throw the dice to turn a 4 into a six. A manager who can keep himself together when it counts with the potential to get over the line and deliver glory, not another nearly sob story.

Again I’d love him to prove me wrong next year but I don’t see it. I see a manager nearing the end of his cycle with us and I’m not at all sorry about that. He lost me this year with wrong decisions, a regression in our style of play and bizarre media work.

I love the club but not the manager, the two are separate and I hope people can understand that the two don’t go hand in hand.
The only thing Poch has done is raised your expectations too high. There are not many steps left for us to take BUT they're gauranteed to be the hardest, yet he's letting you down when we don't take one.

We all love the club (it's our life), and look what Poch has given that club in the last five years. Days and nights we thought were a pipe dream. Enjoy that?

Who you bringing in when you sack Poch tomorrow to keep our current tragectory going?

Religious love for Poch? Or rather tremendous respect and affection for a manager that has taken us to levels in the premier league and champions league, we could only have dreamt of before 2014? It’s not a religious love for Poch because that implies faith, it is love borne out of what we have seen him achieve.

As for the edge to win trophies, to paraphrase Redknapp “I must have missed all those league titles and Champions League trophies Spurs were winning before he arrived.”

I just don’t get, when all things are considered, how @Nigeyman’s criticism stands up to any reasonable scrutiny. Because Poch hasn’t won a League cup like Ramos or Graham or an FA cup like Venables ? He has changed us from being the “best of the rest” to becoming real contenders for the big prizes, on a relative shoe string against teams with far more resources. He’s finished second in the league and a Champions League runner up despite most windows not getting in the players he wants. No manager of Spurs not even the great Keith Burkinshaw comes that close to winning the biggest trophies since, well Bill Nicholson.

Just look at Arsenal and look at United if you want to see the decline that sets in when the man at the helm is not up to the job.

I am unashamedly a Poch fan, I find it hard to believe that there are Spurs fans out there who are not. The man has done wonders for this club and long may he continue.

You should never have to feel shame for being a Pochettino fan, likewise I shouldn’t have to for not believing in him.

Hopefully I come across as someone who respects his work. I have tried to make that abundantly clear.

My own feelings is that I had one of the happiest days of my life under Ramos and that cup win...more so In any day under Pochettino...

Why?

Because football is about winning trophies, rightly or wrongly it absolutely is and always will be.

You argue for continuity...I say Chelsea unfortunately!

A new manager every season and a succession of trophies would be my counter argument to that point.

If people feel Poch is the only human on this earth who could have done what he’s done with us then fair play...I believe our talented players are better than what they have shown for the last six months and that last nights final was very winnable.

The best pound for pound manager? Not for me, his fiercest critics can say ‘Poch the pretender’ and only delivery of shiny silver things can truly shut that argument down.

We carry on and good luck to us.

Absolutely this. You know what @Nigeyman may think I am biased about Poch, so he should post the above on a non Spurs forum. Of course ignoring twisted and bitter Arsenal, Wham and Chelsea fans, most reasonable, impartial football observers would agree that he is an exceptional manager and many would covet him for their club. You think Roman wouldn’t want him at Chelsea? Woodward wouldn’t want him at United?

Roman might want him at Chelsea but only for a season.

It's emotional nonsense that thankfully the decision makers at our club do not reflect.

Hes managed Espanyol , Southampton and us FFS:rolleyes:

I understand that but surely silverware has to come into the discussion when talking about who is the best coach? Even if it’s not the only factor, if you talk about who is the best coach or player in any sport, most of the time you’d name the person who has either won the most trophies/medals. It’s also why I cringe when united fans say they are the biggest club In the world when they have only won 3 European cups. They’ve won half the amount of Liverpool and a massive TEN less than Real Madrid. It’s just nonsense. For argument’s sake I’ll remove pep as he has had Messi and massive resources but Klopp has won back to back titles in Germany and a domestic double and now he’s won a European cup. He’s not just a flash in the pan who’s one 1-2 trophies.

Poch is absolutely in the top 3 coaches in Europe, but the best? Not until he wins one of the big prizes.

The only thing Poch has done is raised your expectations too high. There are not many steps left for us to take BUT they're gauranteed to be the hardest, yet he's letting you down when we don't take one.

We all love the club (it's our life), and look what Poch has given that club in the last five years. Days and nights we thought were a pipe dream. Enjoy that?

Who you bringing in when you sack Poch tomorrow to keep our current tragectory going?

I have enjoyed many nights under Pochettino and was proud to call him our manager, his behaviour after full time at turf moor dented that.

You may be right regarding expectations but I do not want my own stalling and being content at just getting top 4 or finishing 2nd or runners up. I would like more just like Oliver Twist I suppose.

Who do I want as manager? An excellent question and an effective way for me to open myself up to more derision...

Yet I won’t shy away, I would personally like Diego Simeone. He has fought with a club of similar stature to ours and rocked the big boys of Spain and has won titles...and yes also lost ucl finals.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You should never have to feel shame for being a Pochettino fan, likewise I shouldn’t have to for not believing in him.

Hopefully I come across as someone who respects his work. I have tried to make that abundantly clear.

My own feelings is that I had one of the happiest days of my life under Ramos and that cup win...more so In any day under Pochettino...

Why?

Because football is about winning trophies, rightly or wrongly it absolutely is and always will be.

A new manager every season and a succession of trophies would be my counter argument to that point.

If people feel Poch is the only human on this earth who could have done what he’s done with us then fair play...I believe our talented players are better than what they have shown for the last six months and that last nights final was very winnable.

The best pound for pound manager? Not for me, his fiercest critics can say ‘Poch the pretender’ and only delivery of shiny silver things can truly shut that argument down.

We carry on and good luck to us.
When I hear the ‘lack of trophies’ criticism levelled at Poch I am reminded of the quote from Bill Nicholson/ Danny Blanchflower which for me, epitomises Poch’s philosophy and shows why he is a manager in the best traditions of the Bill Nich.

“It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.”

These days with Poch we are aiming very high I don’t understand why some fans do not get that.

When I hear the ‘lack of trophies’ criticism levelled at Poch I am reminded of the quote from Bill Nicholson/ Danny Blanchflower which for me, epitomises Poch’s philosophy and shows why he is a manager in the best traditions of the Bill Nich.

“It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.”

These days with Poch we are aiming very high I don’t understand why fans do not get that.
Almost stupidly high

Even the hardest taskmaster of them all, Levy, only demanded that he'd like to head into the new stadium as CL qualifiers. It'll be our 4th campaign in a row next season.

I understand that but surely silverware has to come into the discussion when talking about who is the best coach? Even if it’s not the only factor, if you talk about who is the best coach or player in any sport, most of the time you’d name the person who has either won the most trophies/medals. It’s also why I cringe when united fans say they are the biggest club In the world when they have only won 3 European cups. They’ve won half the amount of Liverpool and a massive TEN less than Real Madrid. It’s just nonsense. For argument’s sake I’ll remove pep as he has had Messi and massive resources but Klopp has won back to back titles in Germany and a domestic double and now he’s won a European cup. He’s not just a flash in the pan who’s one 1-2 trophies.

Poch is absolutely in the top 3 coaches in Europe, but the best? Not until he wins one of the big prizes.
Then where does that put Roberto Di Matteo? Should he be our manager? Do you think Pellegrini having won one of the big prizes with City will do a better job at West Ham than Poch at Spurs?

These days with Poch we are aiming very high I don’t understand why some fans do not get that.

Fair point and very well made.

Can you understand my position that there is for me, no way any amount of glory can be found in failure...

No clever statements or club motto’s can put a spin or a gloss on failure.

Pochettino needs to do more to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Nich.

And if he’s with us for years to come then I hope for the clubs sake he can be and prove me wrong.

Pochettino has normalised over-achievement and, in so doing, has allowed acknowledgement of his achievement at Spurs to be easily ignored and created false criticisms that can be levelled against him.

Fair point and very well made.

Can you understand my position that there is for me, no way any amount of glory can be found in failure...

No clever statements or club motto’s can put a spin or a gloss on failure.

Pochettino needs to do more to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Nich.

And if he’s with us for years to come then I hope for the clubs sake he can be and prove me wrong.

I think I understand it. I don't like it and am sad/pitying for you that you can only see glory (and success) in the winning of a trophy.
It truly appears that you value winning the League Cup over getting to the final of the Champions League.

Also...define failure from your first sentence. Failure in the Champions League is crashing out at the group stages, having played poorly and maybe not even won a match. Failure is not as black and white as simply saying only the winner gets glory and every single other club failedequally, with no pride or glory or joy to be attained from whatever they did in the competition.

I'm also curious as to the disproportionate weighting you have given to the events at Burnley, which seem to outweigh damn near every other public act by Pochettino whilst at Spurs. What was so bad about Burnley that has caused you to suddenly tar him in such a way?

I think I understand it. I don't like it and am sad/pitying for you that you can only see glory (and success) in the winning of a trophy.
It truly appears that you value winning the League Cup over getting to the final of the Champions League.

Also...define failure from your first sentence. Failure in the Champions League is crashing out at the group stages, having played poorly and maybe not even won a match. Failure is not as black and white as simply saying only the winner gets glory and every single other club failedequally, with no pride or glory or joy to be attained from whatever they did in the competition.

I'm also curious as to the disproportionate weighting you have given to the events at Burnley, which seem to outweigh damn near every other public act by Pochettino whilst at Spurs. What was so bad about Burnley that has caused you to suddenly tar him in such a way?

Promise I’ll answer this pal but I’m off to bed for now.

[QUOTE="Nigeyman, post: 1203819, member: 2197]

Why?

We carry on and good luck to us.[/QUOTE]

Football is about how you play, what you stand for and what you represent as much as it is “winning trophies.”

Chelsea? Please. Empty club. Souless.

I believe Poch is superb. He has changed everything about us.

Back