• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think you are doing Jose a disservice there, yes their players made the big plays at crucial points but his tactics and the way they have been coached to disrupt games stopped us bringing any concerted pressure in the second half, he’s a master of killing games and it only took him 20 odd mins to work us out yesterday. Obviously our lack of fitness played a part too.

That is true. A Mourinho managed Spurs side would've started with Son as the only attacking player and Lamela and Ali sitting deep kicking them.

There wasn't a problem with the players attitude or desire in the first twenty minutes. I know that people are hurting but I don't think reaching for easy answers is the right response. It was a close match, with two evenly matched sides. My biggest regret is that Kane is clearly still unfit.

Attitude is great when it’s going for you
Winners show their attitude when it isn’t
And Kane being unfit is an issue but Son looked kanckered too

If Poch had started Llorente instead I'm pretty sure the 'WTF - why not start Kane even if not 400%?!?' meltdown would have been even bigger than the one still currently happening.

Hindsight is a great and terrible thing.

Like Chich.

No it wouldnt have (for me). Pochettino IMHO should have benched Kane for the last three games. We had the credible proven option of a front four of Eriksen, Lamela, Son, Alli. That was good for Chelsea. Kane can come in off the bench if required. That to me has been a much better option. It is pretty obvious to me so the question is why didnt he bench Kane. Is it that he lacks the balls or there is a contractual clause or some other reason?

Spurs has suffered for the last four games (IIRC) because of this.

No it wouldnt have (for me). Pochettino IMHO should have benched Kane for the last three games. We had the credible proven option of a front four of Eriksen, Lamela, Son, Alli. That was good for Chelsea. Kane can come in off the bench if required. That to me has been a much better option. It is pretty obvious to me so the question is why didnt he bench Kane. Is it that he lacks the balls or there is a contractual clause or some other reason?

Spurs has suffered for the last four games (IIRC) because of this.

I agree, he’s been so careful with Toby and Lamela yet he’s chucked Harry straight back in, our system is based on pressing high up the pitch, I don’t get it.

I love Poch can’t believe any Spurs fan would want him gone. I know people will continue to question his “winning mentality” and say that his teams lack bottle. Personally I think that is nonsense. But his mistake is perhaps overestimating how much he can push some players.

In his second season he felt he could go through the season with no proper cover for Kane or Dembele. It cost us in the league which we surrendered to Leicester. Last season in the cup semi against Chelsea, we were down to the bare bones with very few options off the bench to change the game unlike Chelsea. Now this season he felt he could cover for the missing Alderweireld and Rose and for the loss of Walker. Sadly defensive lapses have cost us dear. Tbh this was predictable, you can cover one loss but 3 is just too many.

I trust him and Levy but have resigned myself to knowing we will not be able win trophies unless we spend serious money like Liverpool, for example, to bring in like for like replacements for players we lose or pay ridiculous money to prevent our top players moving on. It’s a depressing reality I am afraid.

I agree, he’s been so careful with Toby and Lamela yet he’s chucked Harry straight back in, our system is based on pressing high up the pitch, I don’t get it.
To be fair mate Harry is a player, like Eriksen who we simply cannot cover even for a short time.

Fantastic article.

I’ve been critical of Poch and the players tonight but in my mind, if he loses the last four games 8-0, I’d still love to keep him.

It beggars belief that I’ve seen some people saying that they’d want him gone if we don’t get CL football.

In my time supporting this club, we’ve never had it so good.

Poch is the best thing that's happened to us in a long, long time. That hasn't changed because of one loss, gutting as it feels.
The last thing we need is another turn on the managerial merry-go round, starting over from scratch. With or without Poch it's inevitable that we will lose players along the way but he is without doubt the glue holding the basis of this team together. Lose Poch, and we really will have something to melt about.

The stats don’t back that up, over the last three seasons we’ve won games and scored goals during all of his injury absences.
Indeed... we ended a decades long Stamford Bridge hoodoo sans Kane (well he came on for 15 minutes after we were 3-1 up) nonetheless... however without Eriksen to orchestrate our attacks...

Poch is the best thing that's happened to us in a long, long time. That hasn't changed because of one loss, gutting as it feels.
The last thing we need is another turn on the managerial merry-go round, starting over from scratch. With or without Poch it's inevitable that we will lose players along the way but he is without doubt the glue holding the basis of this team together. Lose Poch, and we really will have something to melt about.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But any fan wanting him to go simply cannot be thinking straight. As I said above if we want to win trophies we will need a tremendous amount of luck to nick a cup or spend some ridiculous money to keep our best players or bring in replacements for the good ones we lose.

He’s been out injured for about three months twice and we had as good a record with him not playing, if not better...
You are probably right mate, but perhaps with big games coming up at the business end of the season Poch thought we could not do without him. Let's face it in the big games you need your big players. Which is why this whole Alderweireld situation has been such a shame.

Still love Poch, best thing to happen to this club since Levy! Just a very disappointing day yesterday, had a bad feeling all day about it. Jose/Utd just know how to win, we need to figure out this formula and fast.

Been saying this for ages, but so many argue against this for some reason. Our shopping for bargains will only get us so far....
Completely agree. But we don't know if the financial situation will allow it. We need a like for like replacement for Alderweireld and possibly a right back.

You are probably right mate, but perhaps with big games coming up at the business end of the season Poch thought we could not do without him. Let's face it in the big games you need your big players. Which is why this whole Alderweireld situation has been such a shame.
Don’t get me wrong I was worried when Kane first had an injury but one of Pochs strengths is the team is always more important than one player and when a big player is missing we manage to adapt. Obviously we’d rather a fit Kane than not and completely agree about Toby....

Completely agree. But we don't know if the financial situation will allow it. We need a like for like replacement for Alderweireld and possibly a right back.
Indeed. Am hoping our stadium and elevated profile will enable us to compete a bit more in this area....

Back