• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Grow up if you think there is an pro Liverpool/anti Spurs bias in the media.

Watch the full MNF piece this from. Both Carragher and Neville have a hard on for Poch's Tottenham.
They were disappointed by the performance.

But they did the exact same thing I did after the game, pointed out that Poch never wins away from home against the top 6 and that this is were we need to improve.
Straight away the natural counter to this is "surely the top 6 win their home games and Poch's 1 win from 15 isn't that unusual".
That is the moment when you need the table you are mocking above to show we have a worse top 6 away record than any of the rest of the top 6.

No one is saying beating the top 6 away is the be all and end all, just we have to improve our record here. We are not gonna win anything with 2 points from those 5 games a season.

Our away record in general this season is poor. 4 away wins in the league.
That's is a huge worry going into next year with no WHL.
The reason they are saying we are sooo good, and we have to win something, is to pile on the pressure. Instead of thinking that team is doing well, they are trying to turn it into that team is underachieving.

The reason they are saying we are sooo good, and we have to win something, is to pile on the pressure. Instead of thinking that team is doing well, they are trying to turn it into that team is underachieving.
Some people really do have a complex about things. How do you know the reason why they are praising us? What are they meant to say about a team who were up until the City game second in the league? Please.....

Anyone else think - 'oh crap', after the Barca result last night?

Funny enough watching it, I understood what Poch is trying to do. He appears to be heavily influenced by his time in Espanyol and wants to introduce a hint of the Spanish style of play to the team. Without Toby and Vertonghen, we dont have players that can pass from the back and our team does lack above average technique. Watching PSG, I reinforced my view that we overrate our squad. We need better players to achieve the results we want to achieve. Poch is overachieving with these guys! My only minus for him is that he needs to change his instructions / tactics for when Jan/Toby are not available.

Funny enough watching it, I understood what Poch is trying to do. He appears to be heavily influenced by his time in Espanyol and wants to introduce a hint of the Spanish style of play to the team. Without Toby and Vertonghen, we dont have players that can pass from the back and our team does lack above average technique. Watching PSG, I reinforced my view that we overrate our squad. We need better players to achieve the results we want to achieve. Poch is overachieving with these guys! My only minus for him is that he needs to change his instructions / tactics for when Jan/Toby are not available.
I think some are over hyped, not over rated.

Is poch putting players into these games to see if they will thrive or crumble?
Find out who has that win at all cost mentality?

Some people really do have a complex about things. How do you know the reason why they are praising us? What are they meant to say about a team who were up until the City game second in the league? Please.....
How do you know the reason why they are praising us? Where is their analysis that Liverpool, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project & Man U should really be winning stuff?

Top teams come to the lane and park the bus, hoping to take home a point. We like nothing more than a team who comes to play, as it gives us room to take them apart. We should do the same away to the top six.
Also, if we are going to win big knock out games in europe, we need to start doing this. It's naive to turn up at someones ground and think we'll play our normal game and be better than them.

How do you know the reason why they are praising us? Where is their analysis that Liverpool, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project & Man U should really be winning stuff?
When teams are doing well you get praise as odd as that sounds. And they are saying we have to win something because....its true?! Its nothing that doesn't get said on here, this forum is full of people praising our team but saying we need to start winning things - are we just trying to put pressure on the club too? The pundits highlighted our failings aswell, so they've given balanced perspectives. Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project et al have all won more than us in recent years - the point is if we want to be considered one of the real powers of English football we have to win trophies...

The problem is in every interview all season player after player keeps going on about pushing on and winning trophies.

This from a few days ago for instance http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/kane-sees-points-prove-and-trophies-win-tottenham

And then they turn out and play with no motivation and you have Dembele saying that Gent wanted it more than us.

If Poch or the players came out and said we're concentrating on the league, most of us would accept that.

The problem is in every interview all season player after player keeps going on about pushing on and winning trophies.

This from a few days ago for instance http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/kane-sees-points-prove-and-trophies-win-tottenham

And then they turn out and play with no motivation and you have Dembele saying that Gent wanted it more than us.

If Poch or the players came out and said we're concentrating on the league, most of us would accept that.

I will be watching this with interest. I personally wonder whether Poch will use it as info gained or unappreciated comments made. Personally? I appreciate Dembele not thinking of us as muppets and being honest, but it further magnifies that we are amidst watching a few of our players making the change to being leaders. It is age and experience. I personally have patience...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...gh-manchester-united-st-etienne-europa-league

(By Jamie Jackson)

"He said: “I am delighted, especially because the first half we played so bad and managed to finish the first half winning 1-0 when we didn’t deserve to, so I was pretty confident the second half we had to improve. It was down to lack of concentration, I had a feeling immediately in the dressing room – too noisy, too funny, too relaxed.

“My assistants had the feeling in the warm-up with some of the guys not really focused, not the right adrenaline in their bodies. The game started and the first thing we did was a back pass [by Eric Bailly] to the striker and one-to-one with Sergio [Romero]. When you don’t have concentration it’s hard to recover it. Even on the touchline I felt the communication was difficult so we needed half-time. The second half was a different story, a different result.”"

Pertinent stuff for us too, perhaps. Maybe we're too jokey, *too much* of a friendly team to consistently be competitive when it matters. Clearly Mourinho feels like there's danger in the players being 'too noisy' or 'too funny'. Perhaps it's something we struggle with as well?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...gh-manchester-united-st-etienne-europa-league

(By Jamie Jackson)

"He said: “I am delighted, especially because the first half we played so bad and managed to finish the first half winning 1-0 when we didn’t deserve to, so I was pretty confident the second half we had to improve. It was down to lack of concentration, I had a feeling immediately in the dressing room – too noisy, too funny, too relaxed.

My assistants had the feeling in the warm-up with some of the guys not really focused, not the right adrenaline in their bodies. The game started and the first thing we did was a back pass [by Eric Bailly] to the striker and one-to-one with Sergio [Romero]. When you don’t have concentration it’s hard to recover it. Even on the touchline I felt the communication was difficult so we needed half-time. The second half was a different story, a different result.”"

Pertinent stuff for us too, perhaps. Maybe we're too jokey, *too much* of a friendly team to consistently be competitive when it matters. Clearly Mourinho feels like there's danger in the players being 'too noisy' or 'too funny'. Perhaps it's something we struggle with as well?
Bang on. With my own team I already know how the start of the match will play out from the warm-up or even before, depending on how focused they are before the match. Envariably when they are not zoned in they start slowly and make bad decisions from the off.

My preference would be to go in fast and hard from the start and leave the sideways recycling of possession stuff to much later in the game when we need to conserve energy. Like the City match for example.

Prefer no pre-match interviews with players or between games.
No problem with immediate post match but just keep it zipped and unleash the coiled spring on the opposition rather than during an interview building up to a game.
I so agree. I dread every time I hear the likes of Kane and Dier talking up our chances before the match because it's almost a given that whatever they say the opposite will be the outcome.

Talk the other lot up for all your worth, big up their egos, make them feel they've only got to turn up and it's won. THEN set about them with a vengeance from the off such that they don't know what's hit 'em. It's what Fergie used to do to us every game for nigh on three decades and it worked practically every single time.

Last edited:

It is not a problem for the players to keep on going on about improving and winning trophies. The problem is if they don't back it up. For the most part of the last two seasons, I think they have proven that they have the desire and motivation to win trophies. Picking a couple of games in isolation and showing that as any sort of proof that they lack desire is not fair. Form is temporary.

And on the last point, if Poch or the players came out and said they were concentrating on the league, I certainly don't think most of us would accept that. I certainly wouldn't and I expect at least half of the board wouldn't, given the previous discussions about taking the cups seriously. Form cannot be turned on or off in an instant, and focusing only on the league is just not (imho) a viable or desirable strategy.

I thought our performance on Thursday was shocking as well as the Liverpool performance. But do I think that these players lack motivation? No. They're going through a bad bit of form where nothing seems to be going for them. I don't think the stats are showing that they are running any less, it's just that things are not working out. This is temporary and we will go back to some of our more impressive performances this season.

In my mind we are not good enough to win the league if at least one of the bigger teams is at the races. They have the proven winners in their team and those players that can make something out of nothing. We have a couple of them. To then say that we should focus on the league just seems stupid. If it's an outside chance of winning it, why put everything into winning it. Why not take the lottery of a cup draw.

I really do think that we as fans need to get a grip and have a sense of realism. In any season there will be a few shocking performances. If your first reaction is to complain, whinge or moan, then quite frankly all I can say is "how can you expect this team, with its age, with the amount of money that has been spent on it to be perfect or better than another that has had more money spent on it and an experienced manager who has won league titles before. Our way is (un)fortunately about patience. I don't think anyone expected that we would win the league this season, so why expect that now?

Since Pooch has taken the decision to be highly critical of Janssen today. Which is fair comment. I assume he accepts that hes had a terrible fudging month with brick tactics and brick excuses. I assume he's also accepting some responsibility for buying brick players and leaving us with a tiny squad. Hopefully he'll take the opportunity to sort himself out on the training ground before he tinkles away the whole season again;):po_O:mad:

Back