• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I like the way we are developing as a club, team and individuals. To build a lasting project you must start with a solid foundation and as you progress you can add piece to improve the overall performance. In the last few games I've noticed a greater self belief in the players, originally I thought it was because we were playing teams that we were better than, but last night convinced me we are capable of throwing off that "sexy" image and be a dominant force in the league. This is down to him and his relationship with Levy, two ruthless men with the same goals.

Good points and i have seen the same thing. I said after the Watford game that the team are a unit they are all on the same page. They all know their job and there seems to be no panic if it does not work straight off, we are a very good side and we are getting real hard to beat.

Poch has worked wonders to build a team who are all together and they are now begining to believe that if they stick to the plan then more often then not they will be winners. I was not surprised that we won last night and actually said before the game i thought we would.

Good points and i have seen the same thing. I said after the Watford game that the team are a unit they are all on the same page. They all know their job and there seems to be no panic if it does not work straight off, we are a very good side and we are getting real hard to beat.

Poch has worked wonders to build a team who are all together and they are now begining to believe that if they stick to the plan then more often then not they will be winners. I was not surprised that we won last night and actually said before the game i thought we would.

what's interesting with Poch (and was the last attribute I would have given him when he came to Spurs) is his flexibility. While the energy/pressure is a part of his teams, he's showing he's not stuck to a single setup, a single way of winning/controlling games.

This season has shown a lot of willingness to change setup based on opposition or our available players. When I look at the other successful modern managers, they seem a little less flexible, one style/formation requiring one type of player for certain positions to work.

And once again .. kudos for having the balls to bring on Winks with 20 odd minutes to go .. hell of a statement.

what's interesting with Poch (and was the last attribute I would have given him when he came to Spurs) is his flexibility. While the energy/pressure is a part of his teams, he's showing he's not stuck to a single setup, a single way of winning/controlling games.

This season has shown a lot of willingness to change setup based on opposition or our available players. When I look at the other successful modern managers, they seem a little less flexible, one style/formation requiring one type of player for certain positions to work.

And once again .. kudos for having the balls to bring on Winks with 20 odd minutes to go .. hell of a statement.

He is learning on the job and he finds himself at a club that has not only very (clever) players but many young ones who are willing to learn. At Southampton he did not really have that many who could be as adaptable as we have here. Getting players to work to a certain system is not always that easy getting them to be able to play different systems is really hard, thankfully he has built a squad who are not only talented enough to do this but willing to learn as well.

He is learning on the job and he finds himself at a club that has not only very (clever) players but many young ones who are willing to learn. At Southampton he did not really have that many who could be as adaptable as we have here. Getting players to work to a certain system is not always that easy getting them to be able to play different systems is really hard, thankfully he has built a squad who are not only talented enough to do this but willing to learn as well.
I'm loving the trust he shows to young players like Winks.

He also has a lot more options available to him this season compared to previous seasons at Spurs. Mainly thanks to his excellent work in developing players.

Its been organic growth under Poch, you can see it when you step back.

2014/15 - clear out the deadwood, promote youth. Mixed results but you could see sporadic progress - reaching a cup final and in particular the performances against Chelsea & Arsenal at home. Against both we played the kind of high octane, opposition smothering football that has become Poch's trademark with us. We had little consistency but it probably gave the squad a view of what could be achieved.

2015/16 - a defined style, defensive solidity combined with attacking prowess. The 4-2-3-1 gave us a base and an ability to dominate 90% of the games we played. All the stats showed us as the best team in the league. We still had some issues to iron out - too many draws and, although I applauded it at the time, our self-destruction against Chelsea showed a bit of naivety.

2016/17 - some setbacks - e.g. CL exit but as progress came to a halt in November we've worked out a way to improve again. We have more pts than last season, a better squad, more flexibility from a tactical perspective. This last point has caused us a bit of pain over 6-8 weeks while we moved beyond reliability on key personnel or key systems and now we appear able to play 2 or more systems comfortably. The game last night was the crowning glory. We didn't go gung-ho - we were tactically very smart - we played long when we needed to and we kept the ball and played short at the right time. We stifled them like they have done to us so often. We didn't rise to their antics. When the chances came we were clinical and we showed no weaknesses once we went 2 up. That performance was the hallmark of a top team.

We have a superb manager - one who is so switched on tactically, learns quickly from previous mistakes or defeats and seems to move us to the next level at every opportunity. Individuals have improved beyond all recognition too.

Regardless of where we finish I'm confident we've improved again this season and we are on an upward curve. Long may it continue under this man.
Who would've thunk it in November. It all looked to me like things were falling apart and the team had switched off, what with our lackluster performances. I even wondered whether Poch had lost the locker room. Well, nothing to worry about and we've got a better point tally than last season and playing at our very best. Good man this Poch fella.

Its been organic growth under Poch, you can see it when you step back.

2014/15 - clear out the deadwood, promote youth. Mixed results but you could see sporadic progress - reaching a cup final and in particular the performances against Chelsea & Arsenal at home. Against both we played the kind of high octane, opposition smothering football that has become Poch's trademark with us. We had little consistency but it probably gave the squad a view of what could be achieved.

2015/16 - a defined style, defensive solidity combined with attacking prowess. The 4-2-3-1 gave us a base and an ability to dominate 90% of the games we played. All the stats showed us as the best team in the league. We still had some issues to iron out - too many draws and, although I applauded it at the time, our self-destruction against Chelsea showed a bit of naivety.

2016/17 - some setbacks - e.g. CL exit but as progress came to a halt in November we've worked out a way to improve again. We have more pts than last season, a better squad, more flexibility from a tactical perspective. This last point has caused us a bit of pain over 6-8 weeks while we moved beyond reliability on key personnel or key systems and now we appear able to play 2 or more systems comfortably. The game last night was the crowning glory. We didn't go gung-ho - we were tactically very smart - we played long when we needed to and we kept the ball and played short at the right time. We stifled them like they have done to us so often. We didn't rise to their antics. When the chances came we were clinical and we showed no weaknesses once we went 2 up. That performance was the hallmark of a top team.

We have a superb manager - one who is so switched on tactically, learns quickly from previous mistakes or defeats and seems to move us to the next level at every opportunity. Individuals have improved beyond all recognition too.

Regardless of where we finish I'm confident we've improved again this season and we are on an upward curve. Long may it continue under this man.
Nomination for Post of the Year already.

Who would've thunk it in November. It all looked to me like things were falling apart and the team had switched off, what with our lackluster performances. I even wondered whether Poch had lost the locker room. Well, nothing to worry about and we've got a better point tally than last season and playing at our very best. Good man this Poch fella.
November was the blip that I saw coming last season

No team has a constant upwards tajectory and less so in this league... add in the Euros and we were due a a hard spell.

Poch and the players got through it with minimal damage IMO and dealt with it as professionals ... but still ones learning their craft

We're in our purple patch period now like we had last season and statistically have had for 5 seasons now, but this will last.

I honestly think having players miss games due to injuries and suspensions like we have had will be a blessing as it has giving nearly all at least a couple of weeks off or more and we have dealt with it

We have also adapted and developed a new system which again is huge in the context of how we deal with certain games and the value of that will be massive over the next season/s

I love Poch and am glad we are letting him learn from the mistakes he makes along the way, I just hope all our fans remember this in the bad times as well as the good times.

His recent comments about giving young players a rest and some time away from football are very perceptive and the sort of thing great managers understand. To us, football is our whole life, but we need to understand this young men want/need to go out and let their hair down.

Poch has a reputation as a hard task master who works the players well, but he is also clearly capable of showing some leeway to them and getting into the mind of young men. I wonder if he picked this up from his meeting with Alex Ferguson last year. I remember a story how Roy Keane told Alex Ferguson he had changed in his later years at United and was not as tough on the players, Fergie responded that he had to, (the implication that the psyche of the younger players was different) Poch is showing this same intuition.

I love Poch and am glad we are letting him learn from the mistakes he makes along the way, I just hope all our fans remember this in the bad times as well as the good times.

His recent comments about giving young players a rest and some time away from football are very perceptive and the sort of thing great managers understand. To us, football is our whole life, but we need to understand this young men want/need to go out and let their hair down.

Poch has a reputation as a hard task master who works the players well, but he is also clearly capable of showing some leeway to them and getting into the mind of young men. I wonder if he picked this up from his meeting with Alex Ferguson last year. I remember a story how Roy Keane told Alex Ferguson he had changed in his later years at United and was not as tough on the players, Fergie responded that he had to, (the implication that the psyche of the younger players was different) Poch is showing this same intuition.

Pochettino has had a reputation as someone who knows what players need for a long time. Way before meeting Ferguson.

Said no-one at Southampton.
Poch's loyalty was to Cortese and his project. When the "fat bitch" inherited the club things changed.
Going from SCBC to Spurs is an obvious promotion, and I do think we need to worry if one of the world's biggest clubs (i.e. Bayern or Real) come calling.

Thankfully, Barcelona is right out -- not sure the fans would accept him as a former Espanyol stalwart, either. Remember that it's more than just your standard local rivalry -- we're talking Spanish vs Catalan here.

I'm sure I remember reading quotes from him saying that his managerial style wouldn't suit clubs like Real Madrid (specific name check in the quotes) think it was from an interview on Spanish radio a year or so in to his time with us.

It was the one where he also mentioned how Spurs are someway behind the bigger clubs financially and we had to be smart in order to compete with them - remember thinking at the time that Levy finally had his man!

Going from SCBC to Spurs is an obvious promotion, and I do think we need to worry if one of the world's biggest clubs (i.e. Bayern or Real) come calling.

Thankfully, Barcelona is right out -- not sure the fans would accept him as a former Espanyol stalwart, either. Remember that it's more than just your standard local rivalry -- we're talking Spanish vs Catalan here.
Is espanyol not a Catalan club too?

I'm sure I remember reading quotes from him saying that his managerial style wouldn't suit clubs like Real Madrid (specific name check in the quotes) think it was from an interview on Spanish radio a year or so in to his time with us.

It was the one where he also mentioned how Spurs are someway behind the bigger clubs financially and we had to be smart in order to compete with them - remember thinking at the time that Levy finally had his man!
Yep. Athletico Madrid would be a better fit for Poch's style.

I think we are all getting ahead of ourselves; Poch will only be courted by one of these giants if he wins something with us, like a league title or champions league. Bayern's last few managers have won everything, same for Real Madrid (apart from Zidane, who is in the process of winning everything!)

If one of these clubs ends up wanting Poch, we will have been very successful in the meantime.

Back