• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Welcome Mr Pochettino.

I guess Baldini flying out to Spain today on business means we already have a list of targets arranged which Poch agrees on. I have more confidence about this guy than I did when we hired AVB.

Surely Poc has had a quick chat with Baldini about the 2 or 3 he probably wants

Le Tiss sounds a tad peeved.

He's a massive Saints fan and loved what the guy was doing for the club. I think we should take note of someone like him rating Poch so highly. The same can be said for nearly every player at Southampton.

Different ends of the spectrum though.

Poch is a young exciting progressive, if slightly unproven and unknown, coach. Redknapp was a journeyman who had achieved little in a very long career, and who everyone knew and generally disliked.

What I'm getting at is the hostility towards Redknapp was informed, whereas the ambivalence towards Poch is because of his lower profile.

Agreed, and that makes it a bold choice. Usually when an appointment hasn't worked out, there's an over reaction to move in the complete opposite direction.

All I'm saying is, I believe Poch will exceed expectations.

Welcome Pochaman. I just hope he is flexible with his tactics. I'd love us to play pass and move attacking football that is incisive in the final third. it doesn't matter if it comes as a result of high energy pressing up the pitch or if it comes from deep counter attacking moves, the variety is what we need.

From Luke Shaw to Danny Rose, chin up Poch :lol:

In all seriousness, less of a gamble than AVB so I'm relatively hopeful but still mindful of Levy's itchy trigger finger should a few bad results come about. Good luck to him!

You know, I'm starting to lose count of the number of clubs' supporters who say similar things about us. Okay, Southampton fans' bitterness in this case is perhaps understandable, but what have we done to **** off the rest of footballdom? Are we so unlovable? :(

It's the fans unfortunately, people think we are arrogant, ungrateful, deluded/insert adjective here and with good reason.

Interestingly - in our last season under Redknapp we seemed to be the "second team" of a huge number of supporters of clubs who played outside the premiership. On my travels I met a huge number of people who said that they loved the way that we played and they really hoped that we won the league, etc, etc.

Probably just annoyed the likes of GB either even more hearing opposition fans say that about HR.

In all seriousness, less of a gamble than AVB so I'm relatively hopeful but still mindful of Levy's itchy trigger finger should a few bad results come about. Good luck to him!

And this time we won't have Tim to improve the points take.

I won't believe all that stuff from El Gaffer until I hear him say in English.

Welcome Poch! :)

One of my top candidates all along after LvG was out of our reach. Very happy with this, and great to get the uncertainty out of the way.

Argentinian magic! :)

Lots of reservations, not convinced he's a good fit for the club (our trigger happy chairman and a manager in an environment in which he is not familiar) but I give him my 110% support.

Unless he's 'doing a Moyes' then I sincerely hope he gets 2-3 years and a proper crack at it.

It's hard to do but I'm putting the expectations/aspirations of top 4 away for the next season and just want to see Poch look like he'll take us forward. Any signs of potential progress and as long as we don't end up in the bottom 6-8, then I'm hoping we'll stick with this fella.

But it's Spurs so the sublimely ridiculous and completely unexpected will probably happen. That's half the fun...

Whilst im not convinced il of course welcome him with open arms and when im at WHL ill be rooting for him.

Welcome to WHL

One thing to consider is the consistency-factor…Poch is as close to an AVB like appt as you can get with a few significant tweaks.

1) he is more experienced and more used to pressure from his playing days and managerial
2) he is a calmer, more composed 'young' coach
3) he is more adventurous with his pressing game/believes in more attack-minded football

We didn't give in and go for a 'big name' who would rip it all up and start again (and whom Levy probably wouldn't be able to support in the manner they'd expect) and we didn't overhaul the squad in January.
We haven't sold anyone significant from the squad, and we don't appear to be in the process of doing so.
We haven't bagged the DoF.

So for all the **** Levy gets from the universe, he has actually managed to persevere as much as possible with 'the model' so-to-speak.

Poch comes with Prem experience too…I like the look and feel of it…

COYS

p.s. if we wanted to **** Saints off and nick two players, the ones I'd have are Shaw and Lovren

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/spurs-sign-pochettino-will-side-line-next-season/#_

With Mauricio Pochettino confirmed as Spurs’ latest manager how he will look to set up Spurs next term? The continuity in his style of play has translated over from Espanyol to Southampton and seems likely to be a starting place to understand what he will attempt to bring to his Spurs side.

In terms of formation both Southampton and Espanyol lined up in a 4-2-3-1 in nearly every fixture of Pochettino’s tenure. Pochettino’s team will likely ditch the 4-4-2 imposed by predecessor Tim Sherwood and return to the favoured formation of Andre Villas-Boas. The formation, which features two central midfielders with considerable defensive responsibilities, was criticised by some as being too negative. However, this formation was used by Southampton, Everton and Emirates Marketing Project for stretches of last season and they produced some of the most attractive football in the league.

Pochettino’s philosophy is said to have been what attracted Levy to chose him over Frank De Boer and Rafa Benitez. De Boer’s Ajax plays the modern tiki-taka whilst Benitez is the arch-pragmatist who sets his team up to win with precise tactical instructions based on the opponent. Pochettino’s ideas are influenced by Marcelo Bielsa and centred on pressing in numbers high up the pitch, compressing play with a high defensive line, playing out from the back and then swiftly forward in the opposition half. The results are that this produces an attractive style with his teams rarely dominated. It does however have two major pitfalls. Playing a high line requires excellent organisation and the correct personnel – the lack of either can lead to disaster. The intense pressing also means that Pochettino’s teams have run out of steam and opposition teams have exploited this with Southampton dropping more points from wining positions than any other team.

In terms of personnel there are those who will benefit from Pochettino’s appointment and others who will likely leave. In defence Jan Vertonghen should be a mainstay and prosper under the new manager with his technical ability and proclivity to carry the ball out of defence. Vlad Chiriches should also continue his promising development. In Pochettino’s system the full-backs are as much a part of the attacking unit as the defensive which should suit Kyle Walker. Elsewhere Michael Dawson could well be moved on with Hull and Crystal Palace reportedly circling. Danny Rose was a weak link that even Sherwood could identify, although may be retained as back-up. The defence needs a partner for Jan Vertonghen who is more technically proficient than Dawson and more reliably fit than Younes Kaboul as well as a top-class attacking left-back.

One thing to consider is the consistency-factor…Poch is as close to an AVB like appt as you can get with a few significant tweaks.

1) he is more experienced and more used to pressure from his playing days and managerial
2) he is a calmer, more composed 'young' coach
3) he is more adventurous with his pressing game/believes in more attack-minded football

We didn't give in and go for a 'big name' who would rip it all up and start again (and whom Levy probably wouldn't be able to support in the manner they'd expect) and we didn't overhaul the squad in January.
We haven't sold anyone significant from the squad, and we don't appear to be in the process of doing so.
We haven't bagged the DoF.

So for all the **** Levy gets from the universe, he has actually managed to persevere as much as possible with 'the model' so-to-speak.

Poch comes with Prem experience too…I like the look and feel of it…

COYS

p.s. if we wanted to **** Saints off and nick two players, the ones I'd have are Shaw and Lovren

I agree. I have often criticised Levy in the past for a lack of strategy in managerial appointments, with each one looking like a reaction against the last. This time around I do not think that he has done that. There appears to be a consistency of approach but Poch addresses the areas where AVB fell short. I am optimistic. I really hope it works out.

Back