• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Does anybody else think we could compete for the title this season? We'd need luck with key players staying fit, but all teams need that. I honestly feel that we are a very good team and I don't feel as if any team has managed to out-play us this season. Even if we haven't got the result (like Utd in the first game) I have felt we were the better team overall in the match.

This isn't based on a good result today, just our general level so far this season when compared with all of the other teams. I think City and Arsenal are better than us, but we can certainly compete with them over the season. I don't really see a reason why we shouldn't be in the mix, other than the fact that we are Spurs and generally we find a way to phuck things up.

With our performances this season, yes, we could be in the mix. The question mark is how long can we continue these performances? Everyone expects Leicester to fall from the top, so what is to stop us falling in the same manner?

It's too early to call us title challengers, yet the performances this season are those which could be attributed to a title challenging team.

You know what is going to happen don't you? Poch will get made Argentine coach just after Xmas, when we will be 3rd and cruising. he will take his eye off the ball and we will end in 5th, also being losing finalists in the FA Cup.
If there is a way for us to "spurs it up" we will....BUT on the other hand, this team is so young, they may be oblivious to the prophets of doom on Glory-glory, and just keep winning....let's see how we get on against Chelsea.

You know what is going to happen don't you? Poch will get made Argentine coach just after Xmas, when we will be 3rd and cruising. he will take his eye off the ball and we will end in 5th, also being losing finalists in the FA Cup.
If there is a way for us to "spurs it up" we will....BUT on the other hand, this team is so young, they may be oblivious to the prophets of doom on Glory-glory, and just keep winning....let's see how we get on against Chel53a.

Well we are 5th now. So slightly ahead of ourselves despite the good form (not you just general Spurs vibe). I'm more worried by Madrid.

Well we are 5th now. So slightly ahead of ourselves despite the good form (not you just general Spurs vibe). I'm more worried by Madrid.

Poch isn't a Madrid-style coach: he doesn't have the profile ,and the players won't give a damn when it comes to pressing and hunting in packs. After all, he's still a trophyless (relative) novice in the managerial game, and they're all stars and prima donnas who can get him fired by pouting and issuing 'me or him' threats (see Ronaldo, C, and his proclamations about Rafa).So why would they work to get into his system, and why would Perez back him when it comes to, say, Ronaldo versus Poch?

Poch makes his name with us, and then moves on. I'm okay with that. But at the moment, he isn't likely to want to move, and clubs bigger than us (most of them, anyway) aren't likely to want him just yet.

I think Poch is just as excited by the potential of this team as we are. So couldn't see him upping sticks either. Only a massive job could temp him.

I think Poch is just as excited by the potential of this team as we are. So couldn't see him upping sticks either. Only a massive job could temp him.

I hope so, but we've been here before: a certain Harry in 2012, to be precise. It's wiser to examine the scenario and evaluate the chances of him leaving (which appear to be low atm), as opposed to hoping he'll stay because he loves this team as much as we're growing to love it. My only slight concern is what @lurker of old mentioned: it's a slim possibility, but if he gets offered the Argentina job...would he take it?

I hope so, but we've been here before: a certain Harry in 2012, to be precise. It's wiser to examine the scenario and evaluate the chances of him leaving (which appear to be low atm), as opposed to hoping he'll stay because he loves this team as much as we're growing to love it. My only slight concern is what @lurker of old mentioned: it's a slim possibility, but if he gets offered the Argentina job...would he take it?

Mate. Two entirely different men who have done two entirely different things. One wheeled, dealt and talked a lot of brick, the other STFU, made wholesale changes everywhere and used resources as well as market. One had a history of using his mouth, the other didn't. I don't think he would take the Argentina job right now personally...

Imo no. Not at this time in his Managerial career. He has things to do with us first and foremost. We can win something this year, especially if we make a shrewd Striker signing in Jan.

Mate. Two entirely different men who have done two entirely different things. One wheeled, dealt and talked a lot of brick, the other STFU, made wholesale changes everywhere and used resources as well as market. One had a history of using his mouth, the other didn't. I don't think he would take the Argentina job right now personally...

Sure, they're probably very different people, mate. But all the same, I don't think we'd be wise to expect Poch to stay around just because that's what he looks like he's going to do given his understated nature, hard work so far and relative decency as a person. We've been in it before, and a lot of us loved 'Arry and didn't think he'd go anywhere: we thought he'd reached the pinnacle of his career here with us, and thus his lust for the England job came as even more of a shock. In that sense, Poch is even more of an unknown, because he's a young manager on the up: he has a way up to go yet, and if he keeps at it, we won't be the biggest club on his CV, not by a long shot. Hence the wariness.

Imo no. Not at this time in his Managerial career. He has things to do with us first and foremost. We can win something this year, especially if we make a shrewd Striker signing in Jan.

Yep, that's what I suspect is the case as well. Still, never hurts to be aware of possibilities, no matter how dim they might seem at present.

Does anybody else think we could compete for the title this season? We'd need luck with key players staying fit, but all teams need that. I honestly feel that we are a very good team and I don't feel as if any team has managed to out-play us this season. Even if we haven't got the result (like Utd in the first game) I have felt we were the better team overall in the match.

This isn't based on a good result today, just our general level so far this season when compared with all of the other teams. I think City and Arsenal are better than us, but we can certainly compete with them over the season. I don't really see a reason why we shouldn't be in the mix, other than the fact that we are Spurs and generally we find a way to phuck things up.
Assuming injuries aren't an issue, if Poch manages to keep the team focused and play every game like it's a relegation battle, then I darn right think we can win the title. We're only 4 points from the top and could have been running away with it if we had that focus and Kane on form in the first few games of the season. And from the looks of it, it seems like Poch is addressing this focus issue, so who knows!

I agree. And if he end sup making this team an elite team, with funds to boot, why would he want to leave? He'd be managing one of the best teams in the world with full support from the front office and it will be his way or the highway. I can't see him finding that in many other places, least of all the Madrids, and Uniteds of this world.

He really could be our SAF, if things go right.

Poch isn't a Madrid-style coach: he doesn't have the profile ,and the players won't give a damn when it comes to pressing and hunting in packs. After all, he's still a trophyless (relative) novice in the managerial game, and they're all stars and prima donnas who can get him fired by pouting and issuing 'me or him' threats (see Ronaldo, C, and his proclamations about Rafa).So why would they work to get into his system, and why would Perez back him when it comes to, say, Ronaldo versus Poch?

Poch makes his name with us, and then moves on. I'm okay with that. But at the moment, he isn't likely to want to move, and clubs bigger than us (most of them, anyway) aren't likely to want him just yet.

Not worried about Madrid. Much more worried about Abramovich and Chelsea when he gets tired of the Mourinho circus. He has not a lot of options left.

Not worried about Madrid. Much more worried about Abramovich and Chel53a when he gets tired of the Mourinho circus. He has not a lot of options left.

I'm not worried about Chelsea. Do you honestly think that Pochettino will want to join that circus? Especially when our team has so much promise?

I would be more concerned about Atletico Madrid once Simeone moves on. I could see that being tempting for him culturally if they made the finances right. I think he definitely wants to see in the new stadium era though and barring a spectacular offer or massive drop off in performance he will be here for the medium term.

We remind me so much if athletio a few years ago in that nienonensaw it coming and they had a system and style that meant they were a constant threat in every game. Their manner hadnt don't anything of note career wise ti that point but was passionate about a system and his players

The only difference was he had more experience in his side and less youth but it's of course a different league.

There is no reason why we couldn't win the league. Who thought they would?

We appear to be the fittest team in the league
We're scoring plenty but be scoring MORE
We have been borderline outstanding in defence
We have depth almost everywhere of players that play the same way as the guest 11 and we have the January window to add the one more striker we need IMO

So why can't we win it?

We're Spurs so we can't!
We always fudge it up its what we do!!!
Not enough experience (although we have players with a lot of international caps to counter that)
Due some injuries/bad luck/lasagne gate (delete as appropriate)

It's not gonna be easy but surely we have to aim as high as possible and that's first. Providing we give as good as we can I'm happy. I think our hardest challenge will be how we react when we actually lose a game and how we perform in that one. That's the measure if any great side.

Right now city have a really wobbly spine and are dependant on their true too players reading fit which ti men's means they have a weakness in their squad and also their mentality judging by us and pool smashing them.

Arsenal can't keep anyone fit for 90 minutes and are reliant on Ozil as their sole/main creator. They too lack squad depth and have arguably less options up front than us and rely on one striker to score the majority whilst having a defence that simply isnt as good As ours

United will be there or thereabouts I'm convinced but will still win games by the Odd goal and will draw many too. They won't lose many im sure and that will cost them IMO but they could be the ones

Chelsea are just too far behind and that's a hell of a mountain to climb. ill say no more so as to not jinx us

Leicester have been truly outstanding but you can't keeping conceding the number they have to stay top (ask loserpool) which leads me to...

loserpool are gonna be up and down all season whilst making the changes to the system. Yesterday they were top drawer but their best players didn't go on international duty so we're fresh and well drilled and City were garbage. I fully expect them to beat Swansea and then crow from the hills but still dont see them making top 4

And back to us.... Why not???

Sure, they're probably very different people, mate. But all the same, I don't think we'd be wise to expect Poch to stay around just because that's what he looks like he's going to do given his understated nature, hard work so far and relative decency as a person. We've been in it before, and a lot of us loved 'Arry and didn't think he'd go anywhere: we thought he'd reached the pinnacle of his career here with us, and thus his lust for the England job came as even more of a shock. In that sense, Poch is even more of an unknown, because he's a young manager on the up: he has a way up to go yet, and if he keeps at it, we won't be the biggest club on his CV, not by a long shot. Hence the wariness.

Yep, that's what I suspect is the case as well. Still, never hurts to be aware of possibilities, no matter how dim they might seem at present.

If anyone thought that of Redknapp they'd have to be pretty naive.

I'm on the same page. We will aim to win every game we play of course. The top 3, and it will likely be close between first and 3rd, and getting to the final of the EL. Both viable. We must get another striker. So far we have been pretty okay with injuries. As the season takes it toll we'll rely on squad players. We're strong in the middle, and the front 3. But not up top, and you might argue we could sign better defensive cover.

But if we get two players in the window and shift the Townsend and Fazio we'll be well placed. Another CB if we do sell Fazio. Maybe one who can cover DM too.

Back