• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

But we're talking about a january window here and the effect it had on the remainder of that season? he was playing well and the team was producing fantastic football with him in it, don't think it's a valid critisim that a lack of a new starting CF to replace the one brought in in the previous window held us back

My reply to Steff was more to do with that whole period under Redknapp, 2009 to 2012. Actually I would include AVB's season in charge. How great it would have been to have had a Harry Kane. That was my point.

The thought of a manager who hasn't won anything taking over at Real Madrid is just plain ridiculous for me. I think right now Klopp and Wenger stand a higher chance than Poch in getting the Real job. We should get worried when Poch starts to win things though.

Sent from my SM-T825Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The thought of a manager who hasn't won anything taking over at Real Madrid is just plain ridiculous for me. I think right now Klopp and Wenger stand a higher chance than Poch in getting the Real job. We should get worried when Poch starts to win things though.

It happens all the time. Schuster, Del Bosque and Zidane had never won anything as managers. Toshack had a few Welsh cups with Swansea, which doesn't really count and one Spanish cup. Queiroz had one Portuguese cup.

It happens all the time. Schuster, Del Bosque and Zidane had never won anything as managers. Toshack had a few Welsh cups with Swansea, which doesn't really count and one Spanish cup. Queiroz had one Portuguese cup.

ZZ and Del Bosque are a bit different as they were Real people already. Hiring an outsider with no links to the club and without any trophies won is quite different

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It's a while back now so the timeline of events isn't as fresh in my memory - if there was no England managers stuff before the window closed and no suggestion he'd be leaving in the summer at that point then you're probably right regarding that.

Whilst 4th and a CL run out would have ordinarily been a good return the damage was already done and he made his own bed ultimately - a bit of humility at the end of the season and he may have got another contract but he seemed to think he was in a position of power the way he went about things once the England job went to Hodgson - should have been grovelling for his job not forcing Levys hand.

If i was a conspiracy nut id look at the derailment of us that season as done by design - i don't think the FA had any intention of appointing Redknapp and really should have done something to halt the media campaign to get him the job as it was so obviously damaging a clubs season (and ultimately costing us millions in CL revenue) he obviously thought he was in with a shot so must have had reason to believe that was the case - all it would have taken was a quiet word in his ear from some one in a position of power and the whole thing would have been avoided.

That season I looked upon as classic Spurs in my lifetime. I genuinely believed that we were never going to be really successful and that we had to know our place, which was best of the rest and absolutely no more. So much stuff that could go wrong, did go wrong that I genuinely thought we’d never make it out of that cycle. I looked upon that Harry season as like lasanga gate - just nothing would go right for us no matter what we did. Something would always clap us back down. Chelsea winning the CL...I mean how fudging lucky did they need to be both against Barcelona and Bayern...and yet you knew they were gonna win it. It was nailed on. It’s actually amazing that Poch has been able to turn it around.

Even in this situation though, at the time I was annoyed with the FA, but looking back I can understand why they didn’t say anything. If they have a quiet word with Redknapp there’s no telling what kind of way he would try and use his press mates to put pressure on them. Or if they came out publicly, it just moves the speculation on to someone else. They probably did the right thing in staying quiet - although they probably could have had a quiet word with Harry you are right. Ultimately though a bricky circumstance that conspires against us making a step up. We have Levy to thank for keeping us on a course of long term progression, and frankly Harry was the one that should have handled it a lot better.

Anyone can win a cup with a bit of luck. It is no mark of how good a manager someone is.

It’s a fair point. Harry touting himself for the England job certainly distracted us that season. But he did finish fourth and but for the luckiest Champions League win in history, we’d have qualified for the following seasons competition.

Harry certainly wasn’t blameless but it’s wrong to say his flirtation with England was the reason Levy didn’t spend in the transfer window.

I don’t believe it is wrong mate. However, if it is, then more fool ‘Arry for making two pony signings!!!! I will never forgive him for that season. He said at Xmas that players are not bothered by manager distractions(he had not yet signed a new contract and said he would deal with it later - in fairness he had health issues), and when he did not get the job, immediately turned around and demanded a new contract saying players need managerial stability! Added to his dodgy tax stuff? Come on.

You are spot on about the FA never considering " rent a quote", they got burnt once before by the Press hype when they ended up appointing KK as England manager ( and we all know how that turned out). One of the reasons that Redknapp was even suggested as being the next England manager was his mates in the press who always knew " rent a quote" would fill their papers for them.

The FA never considered him as they ALL thought they could not/would not have another KK episode who was appointed after the media decided he was the man they needed and it was carried along by the hype.

He ran a campaign via them. Tacky.

Back