• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

Yes, the engines are hot, but you'd still need lots of bits and parts to distribute that air, which would take up space that isn't there (there's next to no space not already used in an airplane) and most importantly, weight. Weight saving is the most important.
Also, the air at the altitude where commercial aircrafts operate, contains very little oxygen, so you'd basically end up suffocating people. I don't know what's worse, smelly air or death....
Let's not forget that most aircraft use jet engines too.

You can't easily take the warm air from a jet without disrupting the flow, and it's the flow that causes the thrust. You could, theoretically, run a heater from the turbine but that would reduce efficiency and increase fuel usage.

Watch the video Steve posted... eventually they show how half the air you breathe is taken from the engines...

But then he says that the air is completely refreshed every 3 minutes

Hard to believe, I feel sure it is stale and stinky after a long flight...

Still not sure of this fella, when players get past him (with ease i may add) he just looks likes he shrugs his shoulders and jogs back. He is like a kid who had just been nutmegged.

Still not sure of this fella, when players get past him (with ease i may add) he just looks likes he shrugs his shoulders and jogs back. He is like a kid who had just been nutmegged.
There was one time in the first half, a Burnley player literally walked past him! Doherty tried to stick out his leg, but it looked like he was 90 years old with horrible arthritis! It was shocking and hilarious at the same time.

There was one time in the first half, a Burnley player literally walked past him! Doherty tried to stick out his leg, but it looked like he was 90 years old with horrible arthritis! It was shocking and hilarious at the same time.
Yeah I remembered that. It also looked to me that davies was the preferred out ball, so we aren’t playing the same wonky which basically allowed Serge to hang around on the half way line.
I thought he was going to be an instant hit but I guess a combination of playing in a 4 and Serge’s relative improvement have lessened his impact. We probably have two quite similar levels at rb at the mo, whereas the left hand side looks to have a much bigger difference to me!

Yeah I remembered that. It also looked to me that davies was the preferred out ball, so we aren’t playing the same wonky which basically allowed Serge to hang around on the half way line.
I thought he was going to be an instant hit but I guess a combination of playing in a 4 and Serge’s relative improvement have lessened his impact. We probably have two quite similar levels at rb at the mo, whereas the left hand side looks to have a much bigger difference to me!
I’d also add that he is used to playing with a winger in front of him from which he cuts in
Now he has wide players coming central so it comes back to him being the supply line

Aurier is a better player IMO but Doherty is still a decent level for back up. We might need to adjust our game a little though to play to Doherty’s strengths which I think are one two, give and go’s.

I’d also add that he is used to playing with a winger in front of him from which he cuts in
Now he has wide players coming central so it comes back to him being the supply line
Agreed, as you say, for Wolves Doherty played as a right wing back and had licence to score by driving into the box and getting to the back post for crosses.
Playing right back for Spurs is very different, as you say, expected to stay wider and cross (because Moura or Lamela or Bergwijn will not stay wide).
So he is a bit of a square peg for a round hole; we might be expecting rather a lot from him e.g. if we were to try Rodon at left back, he would be a square peg.

I noticed that Sissoko would drop into right back to cover for him. And Hojboj would drop into left back to cover for Davies.
Hence it looked like we were playing a 3 at the back with Toby, Dier and one of Hojboj or Sissoko.
A bit like when Dier would play DM and would drop inbetween Toby and Jan.

The incident in the first half the other day was pathetic. It was what you expect of a kid just starting the game because he got caught square on to the attacker so he was dead once the ball went past him.

He’s been okay so far. 5 or 6 out of 10 type of okay. However, he isn’t doing stupid things or throwing in stupid challenges and while Aurier is a more talented player, he is always far more likely than Doherty to give a goal away.

I get the sense the lad is struggling a bit under the weight of playing for a bigger side than Wolves so perhaps he needs a bit of time. It’s a good thing for him that fans aren’t in the stadiums because that would ramp the pressure on him up hugely.

The thing some people struggle to accept is that this guy was bought in to be rotated with Aurier as Mourinho directly said in a video interview, wheras a lot of people have done nothing but slag off Aurier and assumed this guy was going to be the main man.

Aurier consistently played game after game without much of a break previously, now we have at the very least a decent backup Aurier can now be rotated - and low and behold he is looking better and making less mistakes than when he was played almost every game he was fit. Funny that....

The thing some people struggle to accept is that this guy was bought in to be rotated with Aurier as Mourinho directly said in a video interview, wheras a lot of people have done nothing but slag off Aurier and assumed this guy was going to be the main man.

Aurier consistently played game after game without much of a break previously, now we have at the very least a decent backup Aurier can now be rotated - and low and behold he is looking better and making less mistakes than when he was played almost every game he was fit. Funny that....
It appears that way BUT quite simply if someone offered £25m for Aurier he'd of gone.

I think it's early days for all our new signings, it looks like things are coming together BUT (as so often gets remarked on here) the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions on any of them (but hey, it's good to be excited).

FWIW I think Aurier and Doherty look pretty evenly matched but imo it's hard to train rash or poor decision making out of someone and although Aurier has reduced his brain farts.(partly helped by being played away from the danger zone), it is still within him and the fear that that has the potential to screw us over at a vital time....then Doherty gets the nod.

I didn't see much of him last season at Wolves but I am surprised he isn't more of an attacking threat so far.
Me too, he averaged a goal or assist every 5 games at Wolves (Goal ratio in Prem similar to Lamela!) I don’t think he’s been awful but the best moments I can remember have been taking a quick one two and coming inside, perhaps he will benefit from Bale in front of him.
I will say although his crossing hasn’t been very good so far he doesn’t seem to have anywhere the amount of time and space Aurier used to get, possibly as we have evolved to have dual attacking full backs or maybe he’s not had the confidence to take up the advanced positions Serge does.
On the plus side we can be patient with his adaption to playing in a 4 as opposed to a 5 as Aurier has improved a lot post lockdown and strikes me as someone who will benefit from competition.

Me too, he averaged a goal or assist every 5 games at Wolves (Goal ratio in Prem similar to Lamela!) I don’t think he’s been awful but the best moments I can remember have been taking a quick one two and coming inside, perhaps he will benefit from Bale in front of him.
I will say although his crossing hasn’t been very good so far he doesn’t seem to have anywhere the amount of time and space Aurier used to get, possibly as we have evolved to have dual attacking full backs or maybe he’s not had the confidence to take up the advanced positions Serge does.
On the plus side we can be patient with his adaption to playing in a 4 as opposed to a 5 as Aurier has improved a lot post lockdown and strikes me as someone who will benefit from competition.
We play a very different system now to the wonky that we did last season which would possibly have suited Doherty more
Aurier has improved but we still have the issue of free kicks and attacks down his side being a threat when he plays (maybe people are over compensating because of past history)
Doherty himself has said that playing in a 4 is different to playing in a 5. We haven’t form memory had any assists other then Reggies from our FBs this season have we?
And we haven’t had any direct goals from FB errors? I think Aurier conceded a free kick that was scored from and Doherty a handball that was a joke at Southampton.
It’s possibly a case of over scrutinising them and maybe expecting more when we as a team are playing very differently (pressing, Kane dropping deeper, playing through midfield with Ndombele and Hojbjerg)
And as you say competition is a good thing

He needs a preseason. My understanding from listening to Ally Gold is that he didn't have a full preseason with us. I will judge him fully then.
TBF though no one has had a pre season
It players who have had the benefit of more time with Jose should naturally be “better” from that
What’s clear IMO is that Jose is sing any coaching time to focus on the weaknesses. Hence why we hanged our approach to defending free kicks vs Burnley after the previous shambles

Back