• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

I missed the game live and have only watched extended highlights so I feel that excludes me from productive conversation but it’s nice to see this guy putting in some excellent performances for us of late.

There’s an interesting comparison to be made about him and Royal ie RWB bought to play as RB and the inverse of that, it’s still a problem position for us but hopefully the doc can continue to put in solid performances either way, it probably goes without saying but United are going to pose different challenges in that area.

I missed the game live and have only watched extended highlights so I feel that excludes me from productive conversation but it’s nice to see this guy putting in some excellent performances for us of late.

There’s an interesting comparison to be made about him and Royal ie RWB bought to play as RB and the inverse of that, it’s still a problem position for us but hopefully the doc can continue to put in solid performances either way, it probably goes without saying but United are going to pose different challenges in that area.
Are they?
They are actually very open at the back which suits his running and I don’t rate there left side options personally

Absolutely fantastic. Quite a change from his performances as a RB. Sometimes you have to wonder what the club is doing. Signing Doherty to play as a RB in a flat back 4 where he was bloody awful.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
That’s been a huge big bug bear of mine
We shoe horn players unto different roles that made them attractive… odd scouting

Are they?
They are actually very open at the back which suits his running and I don’t rate there left side options personally

They are indeed. It’s easy to say they’re open at the back but I’m sure Doherty won’t have free reign of his side like he did against Everton. As Carragher said, Everton have a championship level back four, Utd are going to present a bigger challenge.

Edit- It’s “their” left side options but I’m sure you knew that and could describe the differences between there / they’re and their without having the google it ;)

They are indeed. It’s easy to say they’re open at the back but I’m sure Doherty won’t have free reign of his side like he did against Everton. As Carragher said, Everton have a championship level back four, Utd are going to present a bigger challenge.

Edit- It’s “their” left side options but I’m sure you knew that and could describe the differences between there / they’re and their without having the google it ;)
Everton’s back four this season took city to a hard fought defeat
Uniteds didn’t ..
I know different games of course but I wouldn’t be saying that’s Uniteds defence is anything amazing

Everton’s back four this season took city to a hard fought defeat
Uniteds didn’t ..
I know different games of course but I wouldn’t be saying that’s Uniteds defence is anything amazing

I don’t know what you’re trying to argue (for reasons of writing a comprehensible argument in English) but in summary, I hope Doherty will be as effective as Utd as he was against Everton. However, as you say (from what I can make out) it’ll be a different game.

Agreed.

They will pose a different and harder challenge for sure. It's between Doherty and Emerson, I see no reason to think that Emerson will cause their back line more problems than Doherty will.

Defensively it's a different question. An on form Emerson could be seen as the more defensively solid options, perhaps worth sacrificing some attacking threat for more solidity at the back. As things are Emerson hasn't been in great form so it's pretty obviously Doherty for me.

I think his runs and combination play can cause them problems. He's forming a good relationship with Kulusevski it seems and having Bentancur and Romero back helps significantly too. More players to combine with and better passes to him.

I don’t know what you’re trying to argue (for reasons of writing a comprehensible argument in English) but in summary, I hope Doherty will be as effective as Utd as he was against Everton. However, as you say (from what I can make out) it’ll be a different game.
What I’m saying is that Everton’s so called championship level defence was miles better against city than uniteds and both of them played city very reverently
So to assume uniteds defence would be better is IMO the wrong assumption based on recent form and results

What I’m saying is that Everton’s so called championship level defence was miles better against city than uniteds and both of them played city very reverently
So to assume uniteds defence would be better is IMO the wrong assumption based on recent form and results

From a style of play point of view Everton played right into our hands. United may do the same, they may not, or not to the same extent. They also pose a much greater threat going forward, might make for fewer good counter attacking possibilities even if they play with a similar style to Everton.

Why bother with grammar and spelling the BBC don't in their broadcasts and written word.

Hardly surprising, all teams pay reverence when City come to town, just look at their stats.

Haven’t read the article so maybe guilty of judging on a headline but he’s still mediocre at best. He’s done well lately but only because the alternative is unsuited to playing wingback and some of our opposition has been dreadful. Hate to say it but while he can do a job till the end of season, his days here should be numbered.

As @Bedfordspurs said somewhere else a big reason for the upturn in form has been the refresh of the right hand side. Sanchez Emerson Moura are all unpredictable whereas Doherty Romero and Kulu have shown that being able to control a ball and release it at the right time helps us to control the tempo and move teams around a little more. We definitely need another RWB but i can see a role for Doherty as backup in the short term as we have a few other positions that need strengthening in depth too.
When we played our ‘keep it tight hit them on the break’ tactics players like Moura and Reggie looked a lot better on our rare breaks, but I always felt both weren’t particularly effective when it came to the final ball. At least now we look like we can impose ourselves on teams again, the next stage will be to try and get more suitable players to rotate and compete as our bench looks light

As @Bedfordspurs said somewhere else a big reason for the upturn in form has been the refresh of the right hand side. Sanchez Emerson Moura are all unpredictable whereas Doherty Romero and Kulu have shown that being able to control a ball and release it at the right time helps us to control the tempo and move teams around a little more. We definitely need another RWB but i can see a role for Doherty as backup in the short term as we have a few other positions that need strengthening in depth too.
When we played our ‘keep it tight hit them on the break’ tactics players like Moura and Reggie looked a lot better on our rare breaks, but I always felt both weren’t particularly effective when it came to the final ball. At least now we look like we can impose ourselves on teams again, the next stage will be to try and get more suitable players to rotate and compete as our bench looks light
I think this analysis is a little unfair on Royal as he is being lumoed in with everyone else. He isn't unpredictable in possession, he's quite safe and plays fairly safe passes. His crossing is crap yes, but to call him unpredictable is a bit unfair.

Would Royal do as Doherty be with Romero behind him and Kulu in front remains to be seen. WB is a very specific role, but Royal was never the possession issue when he was starting, that was always Moura and whoever played instead of Romero (often Sanchez).

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Back