• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

If it’s some kind of swap with Traore - I guess with another £10m odd going to them - I’d defo take that!

Couple of ITKs (I know, I know) are saying it's done for him to go back to Wolves.

He’ll be back there within the next week I think. With Jorge Mendes’s active participation at both Wolves and Spurs, I can see a deal being easy to process.

Fair play to him, he was better than Royal when he came on last night. His passes into the box were poor, but he runs were better

Fair play to him, he was better than Royal when he came on last night. His passes into the box were poor, but he runs were better

I think fair play to him beyond this game too. Been pretty clear that he may be on his way out after what can't have been a pleasant time for him here. Kept putting in decent performances, trying his best, being a good professional.

Yesterday game conditions suited him. We managed to dominate in midfield, got Tanganga high up and wide in support. So he could spent more time attacking the box and playing some good combination play rather than hugging the touchline.

Still don't know if it was a forced sub or just a tactical one. If it was a tactical one really impressive from Conte imo.

Hats off to him, his performances lately have been poor and his confidence must be low, but he dug out a really good performance.
And what a tactical stroke from conte, i thought royal was ok and I would never have replaced him with Doherty.

I know he’s been pretty brick to date, and that was only one decent half, but he’s barely ever been played in his position since being here. Maybe a run at RWB will show that he does have some value as a squad player, especially with Romero looking good defensively but pretty mediocre going forward.

I know he’s been pretty brick to date, and that was only one decent half, but he’s barely ever been played in his position since being here. Maybe a run at RWB will show that he does have some value as a squad player, especially with Romero looking good defensively but pretty mediocre going forward.
I’d say he has played right wing back less than 10 times with the first team
Before last night he had played less than 100 mins in the league
We know that the “B” team is always shocking when chucked together so it never helps any player shine
The key last night though was winks dropping deep, allowing Japhet to push up and then Doherty could under lap like he used to at wolves. It was brave tactics and as @braineclipse says above, suited to his game

just another thing @AdamB he made 4 key passes. I’m still not sure what the may actually entails but it was the joint highest of any player

I think fair play to him beyond this game too. Been pretty clear that he may be on his way out after what can't have been a pleasant time for him here. Kept putting in decent performances, trying his best, being a good professional.

Yesterday game conditions suited him. We managed to dominate in midfield, got Tanganga high up and wide in support. So he could spent more time attacking the box and playing some good combination play rather than hugging the touchline.

Still don't know if it was a forced sub or just a tactical one. If it was a tactical one really impressive from Conte imo.
It was tactical, the commentators confirmed it. He has barely played in his best position at RWB, always been right back or even left wing back. Put him in his actual position and funnily enough he looked decent! Clearly a good professional, happy for him to put in a good performance and show what he can do….

his passes in to the box were pretty good. Zipped low balls at pace and one lovely cross to the back post to set up reg for a chance. Much much better than what royal has served up lately.

I think he's one of the worst players we've had in this era, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him at least until the summer. Give him a proper run at RWB, and play Royal as a RCB when needed.

I think he's one of the worst players we've had in this era, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him at least until the summer. Give him a proper run at RWB, and play Royal as a RCB when needed.
As others have said though, if you play him out of position he’s not going to show anything. Play Son at LWB and he looks brick as well! If you play him with the reserves (our cup teams) then yes he ought to shine, but some players just don’t, he’s not the first and won’t be the last to look poor in our B teams.

he is never going to be a world beater, but hopefully Sess and Reggie stay fit now and we never have to see Doherty on the left again. After last night I actually think he’s edged ahead in the pecking order at RWB.

obviously, all that being said, RWB is a position we need to upgrade in coming windows, just that maybe we have a decent squad option in Doherty now?

Considering how much attacking play and positions we had in the first half, Royals contribution to that was minimal. Of course, bringing Doherty on is a risk, as Conte (like us) probably hadn't seen much to be confident about such a decision.

But it worked, and very much in the mould of his Wolves days. I wouldn't get too excited but in games where it's open or we are dominating he could well be a better option than Royal. In tougher games (eg Sunday), Royal is still the choice.

We do need someone who is better than both though and is suited to all types of games. Whether that can wait til the summer, who knows.

People really have to look at his games with the proper team at right wing back
He ain’t a right back
And he ain’t a left wing back
But we signed him off the back of 3 very strong seasons at rwb… he even did damage to us
But weirdly we play him 2 years at right back and then under Conte left wing back

I seem to be in the minority, I didn't think he played well last night, but what he did do was get into the box and cause a bit of chaos e.g. Stevie's first goal, Doherty was charging in and got smashed to the floor and Stevie's shot nearly took his face off. We need more of this chaos, really sprinting into dangerous areas rather than [wait for a pass... then lay a pass back]

I seem to be in the minority, I didn't think he played well last night, but what he did do was get into the box and cause a bit of chaos e.g. Stevie's first goal, Doherty was charging in and got smashed to the floor and Stevie's shot nearly took his face off. We need more of this chaos, really sprinting into dangerous areas rather than [wait for a pass... then lay a pass back]
To go forward you need something foward to aim at

There were a few times when he left the right side and just went wandering inside and Sanchez and Tanganga looked bemused when they had no option other than to turn away and go back to the other side through Lloris or Davies etc. Not sure if that was intentional or not but seemed to slow a couple of attacks. But then who are we to complain, He played well overall, better than Royal and it was an epic night in the end. I'm happy he had a decent game in his best position. I wonder if either Bergwijn or Doherty will still leave this window or if they will now end up staying til the summer at least?

Back