• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

I haven't watched it since the game, but Tierney wasnt his man
Tierney was his man for that cross
What I couldn’t understand was with Tierney always being their most attacking player and their attacks being defended mostly how did we not have that space to attack with Bale and Tanguy... but watching the game it was clear... Those two players didn’t want to run at all today

I wonder if those calling Doherty shyte and calling for Aurier are the same people who called Aurier shyte not so long ago?

Is that broken down anywhere?

I’m not going to say he hasn’t made mistakes but others immediately spring to mind as leading to more, Hugo, Sanchez and PEH for a start.
No they literally just put stuff out there with no substantiation and as they have a lot of followers it gets repeated

I wonder if those calling Doherty shyte and calling for Aurier are the same people who called Aurier shyte not so long ago?
Aurier was
He was always in no man lands (some will say that was tactics)
This season Aurier has defended really really well
His only major mistake being the penalty against Leicester
But he would have struggled today being doubled up on constantly. Theh had Tierney and ESR over there and Doherty was left

My big concern is he seems to be getting worse. Early critique was that he wasn’t contributing offensively but defensively he was doing ok, now he looks like a rabbit in headlights on and off the ball. I’m a big Tanganga fan but whether he lacks in experience he more than makes up for with physicality and competence on the ball. It was poor all over today and he wasn’t supported very well but Doherty looked horrifically out of his depth. I think the best thing that can happen is he goes back to Wolves for whatever we still owe them for him, plus whatever kickback Mendes will need to make it happen.
And if Aurier wasn’t fit he shouldn’t be on the bench.

Aurier was brick, and was critisized. He has improved. Currently Doherty is very brick, and being critisized.
I was just about to say this Mullo-permo

When Aurier was playing poorly, I criticised him. When he played well I didn't.

Doherty is currently playing very poorly and deserves criticism, he has been very bad at football recently.

You could make a decent case for playing Dier at right back for the rest of the season. That's how bad it is.
Not ahead of Aurier if he's fully fit.

You could make an argument for Tanganga being second choice at right back ahead of Doherty. Tanganga offers very little going forward, but he's solid at the back and has the physical attributes to deal with being more exposed defensively.

Not ahead of Aurier if he's fully fit.

You could make an argument for Tanganga being second choice at right back ahead of Doherty. Tanganga offers very little going forward, but he's solid at the back and has the physical attributes to deal with being more exposed defensively.

I think those are the options

- Aurier who plays as the attacking option, for bigger games
- Tanganga as rotation or when we want to be more defensive on that side.

I really don't get Doherty, Aurier even at his worst had good games or good parts of games. It's not just about being beaten, it's positioning, often just being bypassed while not really being a threat forward.

Think this one will just be a bad buy.

Not really turned out to be the signing we hoped for, but he was left exposed badly by Bale who was missing all the time.

Looking at today's game:
- first 55 mins he has Bale in front of him who did nothing defensively and left him 2 on 1 all the time
- after that, we took Bale off and had a RW who worked, and that stopped them killing us down our right

I think its hard to criticise Doherty much for today. He's been poor all season, but I dont see how we could have played well today given how exposed he was
When he was 1 vs 2 you can't criticise him, but whoever got 1 on 1 with him, they could do whatever they wanted, and just breezed past him every time! He managed to block a couple of crosses out for a corner kick, but I don't think he came out on top of a single 1 vs 1 situation.

He offers very little going forward, and has been shockingly bad defensively.

When he was 1 vs 2 you can't criticise him, but whoever got 1 on 1 with him, they could do whatever they wanted, and just breezed past him every time! He managed to block a couple of crosses out for a corner kick, but I don't think he came out on top of a single 1 vs 1 situation.

He offers very little going forward, and has been shockingly bad defensively.
1 vs 1 they got past him twice and once was for the goal (i rewatched the game)
2 vs 1 was every time pretty much
Tierney ran past him like he was stuck in mud

A fullback getting beat 1 v 1 twice in a game is a lot.
Is it?
I’m not convinced that is
I’ve seen many full backs get beat that frequently and more
I guess it depends how many times that players is attacked
The issue of course if it’s both times that’s him done 100% of the time

Is it?
The issue of course if it’s both times that’s him done 400% of the time

My bigger issue is I've seen players pass him (regardless of 1:1 or 2:1) and he's not even close to them, they run past him with a 3 to 5 yard gap, so they are under no pressure for their next pass/cross/whatever. Given time and space even mediocre PL players will punish you.

My bigger issue is I've seen players pass him (regardless of 1:1 or 2:1) and he's not even close to them, they run past him with a 3 to 5 yard gap, so they are under no pressure for their next pass/cross/whatever. Given time and space even mediocre PL players will punish you.
Yep
It’s not good

Is it?
The issue of course if it’s both times that’s him done 400% of the time
Yep. I remember you giving Aurier pelters because he got beaten by Rashford once (while making a far better attempt than Doherty did on Sunday) in the game at Old Trafford.

Back