1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Doherty

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Denmark Spur, 30 Aug 2020.

1. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Paul Robinson

Just half of that spent and we could easily be a CL regular again (and with reasonably young players that would likely keep us there).

2. Raziel

Raziel Paul Robinson

So interestingly he's played in 23 games for the season, 21 starts .. that surprised me

3. Mulletperm

Mulletperm Clint Dempsey

Absolutely Derp It is the blokes attitude. It is severely lacking.

4. Bullet

Bullet Jack Jull

I don't know the reasons why... but he has been rank average for Spurs so far.
    I was alarmed to read (above) that he is 29, just going past his peak and into "old git" territory for a full back... get rid of him ASAP and reinvest please.
    He is MILES off what we need and age is not on his side.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  5. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Tom Huddlestone

One of several old gits who need offloading as part of the painful rebuild.

Lloris 34
    Hart 33
    Alderweireld 31
    Sissoko 31
    Rose 30

6. AdamB

AdamB Chris Jones

+ Lamela and Moura, 29 this year

7. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Tom Huddlestone

Yeah, would be nice to upgrade on those 2 squad fillers too (well unless Lamela can miraculously get over his perennial injury woes) but very much doubt our transfer committee is brave enough to sanction 8 changes to squad in 1 window.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  8. AdamB

AdamB Chris Jones

Agree that we wouldnt make 8 changes to a squad in a summer however on your list of 8:

- Rose doesnt really count as he's out of contract and won't need replacing
    - even if we do sign a keeper, there's a reasonable chance that we might not let Lloris or Hart go this summer, depending on who the incoming keeper is and what we do with Whiteman and Austin
    - I think the chances of selling Doherty are minimal and selling players after 1 year in a club doesnt happen that often. I'd also give him a second season to prove himself

Bedfordspurs and SteveAWOL like this.
  9. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Rafael Van Der Vaart

Why does Mourinho keep picking him? What on Earth has he done to justify being picked ahead of Tanganga? Apart from having Jorge Mendes as an agent?

What on Earth does he do right?

Just bin him this season - don't want to see this bloke lumbering around again until next September. Whatever it is - the COVID, the new team or whatever, he has been useless and incompetent from start to finish. Take him out of the firing line - send him home, and maybe he can try again next season.

MKSpur likes this.
  10. Robbo

Robbo Pedro Mendes

Baffling he wasn't subbed at half time. Everything they created came down our right side - Bale being poor as well didn't help, but Doherty was overrun time and time again. And he only got worse in the second half too.

11. 90291Spur

90291Spur Chris Perry

Which makes it all the more baffling that the players (BECAUSE IT IS NEVER JOSE’S FAULT) didn’t reorganize to play in a formation that supported an out of sorts player getting ripped apart. Definitely not Jose’s fault. Never.

12. Baleforce

Baleforce Paul Miller

I find it incredibly infuriating when we make an absolute guarantee round peg signing and the player struggles.

Humans are fudging brick at football.

Doherty just the latest in a long line, not the first and unlikely to be the last.

13. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Jonathan Woodgate

Hence my wondering if Aurier was truly available.

14. AdamB

AdamB Chris Jones

Looking at today's game:
    - first 55 mins he has Bale in front of him who did nothing defensively and left him 2 on 1 all the time
    - after that, we took Bale off and had a RW who worked, and that stopped them killing us down our right

I think its hard to criticise Doherty much for today. He's been poor all season, but I dont see how we could have played well today given how exposed he was

mjc23 and Baleforce like this.
  15. Baleforce

Baleforce Paul Miller

If he wasn’t he shouldn’t have been on the bench, fitness is always the most important metric.

MKSpur likes this.
  16. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Rafael Van Der Vaart

17. Bishop

Bishop Eidur Gudjohnsen

It's easy to criticise him for the goal, it didn't come from an overload it was a simple 1 on 1 in which Tierney dropped his shoulder and destroyed him. The lack of support from Bale didn't help him in the first half, but its not a valid excuse for the goal.

MKSpur likes this.
  18. Baleforce

Baleforce Paul Miller

Is that broken down anywhere?

I’m not going to say he hasn’t made mistakes but others immediately spring to mind as leading to more, Hugo, Sanchez and PEH for a start.

MKSpur likes this.
  19. AdamB

AdamB Chris Jones

I haven't watched it since the game, but Tierney wasnt his man

20. Bishop

Bishop Eidur Gudjohnsen

He was challenging Tierney directly, there was no one else there and Tierney just dropped his shoulder and ran past him. On that play Tierney was 10000 percent his man and he did awfully.

So poorly 1 on 1 that it actually negates the defence of Bale not helping him out today. When he needed no help he fudged it up.

And as I said I've not even been one to criticise him this season, I'm willing to give him a season before passing my judgement but it's not looking good.

DubaiSpur likes this.