• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mateo Kovacic

What do you imagine the benefits should have benn if the partnership was beneficial for us?
Graham Hunter did a good Barca podcast... it was mentioned that at one time all Barca/Spanish players stayed in Spain and the Spanish team was a real soft touch, never performing much in tournaments... then young Spanish players started going abroad like Fabregas to Arse, Piquet to United and some other examples I forget... they learned how to fight harder etc etc and Spain benefitted... that kind of thing... Real Madrid could have loaned us some spuds or given us first refusal on some

I would have hoped fringe players or youngsters we would have had a chance of them being sent our way loans/ or option son transfer etc it was made a big thing about a partnership and I cant see any benefit to that I know of
That wasn't really what the partnership was about from my memory.
Graham Hunter did a good Barca podcast... it was mentioned that at one time all Barca/Spanish players stayed in Spain and the Spanish team was a real soft touch, never performing much in tournaments... then young Spanish players started going abroad like Fabregas to Arse, Piquet to United and some other examples I forget... they learned how to fight harder etc etc and Spain benefitted... that kind of thing... Real Madrid could have loaned us some spuds or given us first refusal on some
I wouldn't want us to take Real youngsters on loan to develop them.

I reckon five-ten years ago you would have taken someone in an area we needed backup... rather than wasting money on some of the 'players' we signed, or nobody

Real Madrid’s Mateo Kovacic has hinted at leaving this summer as he wants to play more regular football. The Croatia midfielder, a second-half substitute in yesterday’s friendly with Brazil at Anfield, has been linked with Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester United. ‘I believe I’ll play more, whether in Real or somewhere else. Now is the time for me to play,’ he said. ‘I am under contract and I wish not to comment on other clubs.’
https://www.metro.news/transfer-talk-4/1085669/

We've been linked with him for a year or so now. He also sits the profile of Dembele replacement very well.

With Modric's age, Madrid's new manager might want to look at all his CM options afresh. But Real don't really do progression like that - they are more likely to keep Modric for another year or so, and then buy big to replace him.

I agree, all this talk of a big revamp at Madrid - I think itll be more limited than people expect.

They will go big on a Ronaldo replacement (assuming he leaves), and maybe Benzema (getting old) but I wouldnt be surprised if they basically stuck with the rest of the side for the next season.

Think it makes sense for us to go for him, however I think its a long-shot that he comes to Spurs. He was a regularly used sub for Real last year and would have plenty of other clubs after him as well

If he wants game time, he might also be intimidated by how Winks schooled Modric and Kroos twice last season :cool:

If it's a midfielder we go for, pleeeeease can we go all out for Milinkovic-Savic. For me he really could be the missing piece. I fear we've missed the boat however and the big guns will be lining up now.

£75m isn’t it?

Apparently. So yes, i think that ship has long sailed.

Often wonder, without the wages and the transfer fees available, how Spurs see themselves competing when this kind of player comes along?? The hook of a new stadium, life in London and guaranteed regular football perhaps?? Though tbh, i doubt any team will pay that kind of money and not have him as a regular.

I guess we did it with Sanchez, who was on the radar of Barca amongst others if rumours were to be believed. But he's not the same league as Milinkovic-Savic in my opinion.

Apparently. So yes, i think that ship has long sailed.

Often wonder, without the wages and the transfer fees available, how Spurs see themselves competing when this kind of player comes along?? The hook of a new stadium, life in London and guaranteed regular football perhaps?? Though tbh, i doubt any team will pay that kind of money and not have him as a regular.

I guess we did it with Sanchez, who was on the radar of Barca amongst others if rumours were to be believed. But he's not the same league as Milinkovic-Savic in my opinion.
It comes down to what we can offer on and off the pitch doesn’t it
He will want too £££ but also want game time

Let me rephrase it...what can we offer that the other suitors aren't prepared to?? Very little i would imagine.

Game time for me doesn't come into it as he'll walk into most teams now.
A sparkly new stadium to play in? Nice, but not worth much when compared to an extra 50k a week.
The Poch factor probably doesn't hold too much gravitas for him either, unlike younger players looking for a stepping stone club (i know he's only 23).

I think London is a big factor.
I think the training facilites, being second to none, could turn a players head (if he were on the fence with a second option).

Otherwise its about either
a) being in position to win things
b) being in position to appeal to clubs that win things

We definitely cover b), and are heading toward a).

I think London is a big factor.
I think the training facilites, being second to none, could turn a players head (if he were on the fence with a second option).

Otherwise its about either
a) being in position to win things
b) being in position to appeal to clubs that win things

We definitely cover b), and are heading toward a).

I think London is overrated, players will easily gravitate to Manchester or Liverpool where they can earn big bucks

I think London is overrated, players will easily gravitate to Manchester or Liverpool where they can earn big bucks
Agreed, London is traffic, filth and stabbings. Poch says in his book how he hardly ever goes in to London due to being busy/tired/traffic and it is difficult to use public transport when famous, so it is not as though he (nor footballers) are always going to the theatre or art galleries

In Liverpool your house gets turned over so much you have to spend all the extra money on your insurance premiums. Scouse weighting.

Schalke are interested in Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic, reports Marca.

Schalke are set to lose Leon Goretzka to Bayern Munich and they want to sign Kovacic to replace the Germany international.

Kovacic, who is contracted to Madrid until 2021, wants more first-team action, having managed only ten league starts in 2017/18.

Various teams are keen on the Croatia international – sources in Italy say Juventus are interested in him too – but senior Madrid figures believe he has a future at the Bernabeu.

Back