• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings vs Villa (H)

Lloris - 6. Didn't have too much to do, did the 'sweeper keeper' thing very well (notably coming off his line well a couple of times)... only slight negative was gave it away a couple of times over-hurrying distribution (nearly leading to a goal for Villa)

Walker - 5. Poor first half, improved second half.
Gallas - 7. Very solid - leader.
Caulker - 7. Scary kid - bags of ability, quick, and so COMPOSED... reminds me of a young Ledley King
Vertonghen - 7. Pretty positive as always, so composed too, solid defensively

Lennon - 7. Lovely goal (Azza have more confidence in your shooting - you CAN BE a goal threat and should score more goals), generally a threat throughout the game, although the fullback did pretty well against him for long spells. Bright and busy but put in a superb shift defensively
Dembele - 8. Love watching Mousa play, glides around the pitch, beats people for fun, becoming a real vital cog in our play.
Sandro - 7.5. Monsterous as per, needs to work on his distribution as gives it away a bit too much at the mo
Bale - 6.5. Not Bale's best game... really selfish at times I thought... but was a threat as always, nonetheless, probably should have scored.

Dempsey - 6. Difficult role for Dempsey as he's not really a creative VDV style player... still finding his role in this team I think... he's a late arriving player mainly... this reflected in his performance today where he wasn't really involved in this game
JD - 6. Wanted his 200th quite badly, could see that, was constantly shooting and totally ignoring all others :lol:... unlucky with one that was a whisker past the post... we did look more fluid once Ade came on

subs:

Ade - 7. Looked sharp and hungry - really positive performance
Sig - 6.5. Not too much time to make an impact although couple of nice flashes
Townsend - 6.. like Sig yet didn't really make any impact tbf

Lloris - 7

Walker - 6
Gallas - 7
Caulker - 7
Vertonghen - 7

Lennon - 7
Dembele - 7
Sandro - 8
Bale - 6

Dempsey - 6
Defoe - 5

Subs:

Adebayor - 8
Sigurdsson and Townsend - N/A

Overall - 8 - I thought this was our best performance under AVB so far. Yes, it could have been a very different story if Benteke had scored that sitter, and yes, we weren't as good in the first half, but I thought we were still clearly the better team in the first half and had a few near misses before stepping things up a gear in the second half. Games in which Spurs play well in both halves of football are rare as fudge these days so it was pleased to see it for a change.

Excellent - Ade, Caulker, Verts, Dembele
Good - Lennon, Lloris, Sandro, Siggy
Average - Bale, Dempsey, Gallas
Poor - Walker, Defoe

Do we reckon that Ade's cameo will gain him a start rather than Defoe in our next league game vs the Russians?

Do we reckon that Ade's cameo will gain him a start rather than Defoe in our next league game vs the Russians?

Has to. His impact was enormous. It made Sig look like a player again, and introduced a whole new fluidity to our attack.

No chance. He'll use Defoe's pace to exploit's Chelsea's lack of pace at the back on the counter. He'll be out to rub Terry's face in it and Defoe is more likely to do that than Adebayor.

Lloris - 7

Walker - 6
Gallas - 7
Caulker - 7
Vertonghen - 7

Lennon - 7
Dembele - 7
Sandro - 8
Bale - 6

Dempsey - 6
Defoe - 5

Subs:

Adebayor - 8
Sigurdsson and Townsend - N/A

Overall - 8 - I thought this was our best performance under AVB so far. Yes, it could have been a very different story if Benteke had scored that sitter, and yes, we weren't as good in the first half, but I thought we were still clearly the better team in the first half and had a few near misses before stepping things up a gear in the second half. Games in which Spurs play well in both halves of football are rare as fudge these days so it was pleased to see it for a change.
Over generous.

Don't get me wrong, he looked pure class in possession, but wtf is the use of that when he spends most of the time arseing around on the corner flag when we already have Townsend and Walker out wide and no striker in the middle waiting to snap up any chances they might create? We were all over Villa in those last few minutes, they were there for the taking and he has the chance to fill his boots but no, for some mysterious reason he decides to go awol from his post. For that reason alone I'd give him a 6.

Over generous.

Don't get me wrong, he looked pure class in possession, but wtf is the use of that when he spends most of the time arseing around on the corner flag when we already have Townsend and Walker out wide and no striker in the middle waiting to snap up any chances they might create? We were all over Villa in those last few minutes, they were there for the taking and he has the chance to fill his boots but no, for some mysterious reason he decides to go awol from his post. For that reason alone I'd give him a 6.

That why we have Demspey/Sig

Lloris - 7 - solid debut

Walker - 6 - off colour
Caulker - 7 - did well
Gallas - 7 - imposing at the back
Verts - 7.5 - got forward well

Lennon - 8 - well taken goal
Dembele - 7 - good movement
Sandro - 6.5 - few sloppy moments
Bale - 7 - constant threat

Demspey - 6 - marginal
Defoe - 5 - poor all around

Ade - 7 - some very good movement and link-up play. Must start against Chelsea

My first game of the season, was ok we are still obviously working out a new way to play and i will judge AVB at end of season.

Lloris 8 Looked in control came out well and released the ball early, i love that in a keeper.

Walker 6 Think he is a really good player but he really needs to work on his defensive side and i also sensed he felt he is out of form, i really would see if smith can step up at least for the Europa league.

Caulker 7 looked comfortable do not think he did anything wrong and showed good use of the ball.

Gallas 7 Looked awful last 2 games but he was comfortable today and did not look like he was going to make a mistake, i would be very wary about him against strikers with proper movemnet or pace.

Vertonghen 7 Looked a lot better at left back then the other day and is showing signs of good link up with bale.

Lennon 7.5 I love the little man and not sure why he does not get more credit, did a lot of running today and a lot of defensive covering, good goal wish he would shoot more often.

Sandro 8.5 My man of the match, was everywhere and never looked like he would get beaten, good simple quick use of the ball, top class performance, read this morning that city wanted him and you can see why.

Dembele 7.5 Lovely touch on the ball and such a classy player but he needs to create more, a few more early balls as well would help.

Bale 7 Good pace as usual and he forces the opposition onto the back foot when he plays because there so scared of him, crossing was so so today i though.

Dempsey 5 Another awful performance, missed a sitter and an assist but did nothing else the time he was on the pitch, maybe he is not being played in the right position i don't know but i would happily pay his bus fare back to fulham because he is not even worth the cab fare.

Defoe 6.5 I love how he works so hard but he really is going to have stop shooting all the time, i know lampard gets 20 shots a game so everyone thinks he is great when he gets his goal but we ar enot creating enough for defoe to waste all our attacking play with stupid shots.

Ade 8 In the little time he was on the pitch i forgot the whole summer of him being a greedy taco, so classy so in control of the ball and makes such good use of it, i cry when i think how good him and berbatov could have been together, never mind we have Dempsey.

Townsend 6.5 not really fair to mark him he does not get long enough on the pitch, im a fan of his and feel as the season goes on we can rest lennon or bale and suffer no massive drop in quality.

Lloris 7 - during the first half, I could hear him communicating with the defence and with the exception of a poor throw out in the second half, it was a clean sheet and a good debut.

Walker 7 - after a shaky start, he looked to be back to his swashbuckling best in the second half, with one audacious cushioned back-header to Lloris towards the end of the game.

Gallas 7 - Good steady performance, he seems to be developing a real understanding with Caulker.

Caulker 7 - he seemed to be quite vocal this afternoon and see the "Gallas" comment; great partnership with Gallas.

Vertonghen 7.5 - how good is this player? He provides the stability to allow Bale to do his thing at the right end of the pitch. He also seems to be able to keep pace with Bale when they are both bombing forward.

Sandro 8.25 - a few loose passes, but how much effort can one man put into winning the ball back and wanting to drive the whole team forward? Can someone please do a .gif of that challenge, where he is on the floor and he fends the ball off of 3 Villa players before find a team mate?

Dembele 8 - how effortless does he make the game of football look? I only remember once miss-placed pass, but as other posters have said, he glides around the pitch and I love it when he drops a shoulder as he spins away from an opponent.

Lennon 8 - back to his impudent best as the game progressed, scoring a quality goal.

Dempsey 7 - he seems to be able to play that "linking role" extremely well, but should have done better with the headed chance (although I don't think he thought it was going to fall to him?)

Bale 7 - some great surging runs, is forming a great partnership with JV (would be interesting to see if Guzan did touch him in the first half?)

Defoe 7 - worked tirelessly in leading the line and deserved a goal, but tried too hard at times?

Subs:

Adebayor 7 - I love JD, but is Ade a better "fit" in the overall system? Was able to see some awesome skills from Ade as he played "keep ball" in the corner.
Sigurdsson & Townsend (both 6) - due to length of time on the pitch.

AVB 8 - Kept it fresh when it was needed and this was probably the best overall offensive performance of the season so far?
SF 9 - I Love Stefan Freund etc., etc.

Crowd 7 - No Boos, plenty of second half support from all parts of the ground.

Last edited:
Another big choice for the cheatski game is what to do about the player who just plays off the main CF. SIggy and Dempsey have both been poor this year - we've been carrying them. AVB is also NOT a 4-4-2 guy so minimal chance that he'll go with Adebayor and Defoe together.

Not sure what the other options are....Dembele further forward and play Thudd? However I dont like moving players out of their best positions

Think we're just going to carry on playing with 10 men (ie 10 who contribute plus Siggy or Dempsey jogging around doing nothing*)

* Siggy's ball for Lennon against Reading aside

Lloris - 7

Walker - 6.5
Gallas - 7.5
Caulker - 7
Vertonghen - 7.5

Lennon - 7
Sandro - 7
Dembele - 7.5
Bale - 7

Dempsey - 6.25
Defoe - 6

Sig and Ade both looked very good when they came on.

Lloris 7 par for the course today
Walker 7
Gallas 8 ran the back line
Caulker 7
Vertonghen 8 mainly for the first half
Lennon 9 MOM, well taken goal and unplayable for Villa
Dembele 8
Sandro 8
Bale 7
Dempsey 7
Defoe 7

Ade 6 - don't get why he was playing the flanks, perhaps today was just about getting him back on pitch
Sigurdson 7
Townsend 6

AVB - 7 did all he could, and if our attacking element were shaper would have been rewarded with a four goal win. He won't have many easier Premiership games than us.

For Villa:
Given 4 should have seen red for Bales dive
Bentucky Fried Chicken 2 missed a sitter
Bent 4
Sandra 7
Couldn't work out why Villa played with ten men, must of missed them making a sub. Did Jenas get injured in the warm up?

Crowd 7 - sat in the South by the East Stand and thought it was a decent atmosphere for a Sunday game.

Last edited:
Once again I'm scratching my head when reading some of what has been written in this thread. For me walker was a sound as Vertonghen defensively and Dempsey, while not being outstanding, did not have a poor game by any stretch of the imagination.

Once again I'm scratching my head when reading some of what has been written in this thread. For me walker was a sound as Vertonghen defensively and Dempsey, while not being outstanding, did not have a poor game by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't try to understand it. It's seriously not worth the time.

Back