• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match Ratings v Sunderland 13/09/14 - poll in opening post

billyiddo

Teddy Sheringham
Staff member
it appears i haven't edited the man of the match field from the last game - i don't want to change it as im unsure whether it will reset the vote count. will take MoM as the player with the highest average.<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KqLp3zEo8WZAWEU8dL2BcZGG61eleWyrZaMOuoN2sak/viewform?embedded=true" width="760" height="500" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>

Re: Match Ratings v Sunderland 13/09/14

Notes:

Capoue and Dembele - did well as a DM double pivot. Dembele in particular really surprised me with his defensive ability and stamina. Capoue almost never put a pass in the wrong area, although his foul that led to the equalizer does tarnish his performance somewhat.

Dier - had a relatively bad game, but he's a 20 year old playing out of position and thus, these sorts of growing pains are inevitable. Still never hid, and took responsibility: bravery like that is what we should be looking for in the lad right now, not consistency or good performances.

Kaboul - overall decline continues. Not as bad as he was against Liverpool, but still, priority should be replacing him in the starting lineup ASAP.

One of those days, obscene amounts of possession, 2 shots off the bar, ref being a homer and we lose the extra 2 points via freak own goal ..

Comments

- Best game by Dembele in a long time, not a fan, but did well
- Chadli showing his threat.
- Lamela in and out, really wish he gets a goal soon for us to boost him.

Negatives, we were still too shakey defensively
Ade was done at about 30/35 minute mark, hope he is ok, because even though he tried, his energy level seemed way down.

Seems like even away, teams are going to just sit back against us for long spells, could be a few more frustrating games this season

Interesting to see who plays mid week.

I like Vlad but he had some brainless moments out there today. So much unnecessary risk.

I am annoyed by Vlad's reluctance to use his left foot.

Vlad is a lost cause imho. He plays football like a 5 a side game and has absolutely zero tactical discipline and positional sense.

Someone gave Kane a 6. Hilarious. I'd be interested to see every touch he had. An own goal and have the ball away more than he kept it would be my bet.

Lloris - 6

Dier - 6
Kaboul - 6
Chiriches - 5
Rose - 7

Capoue - 6.5
Dembele - 7.5

Chadli - 7
Lamela - 7
Eriksen - 7

Adebayor - 6

Vlad is a lost cause imho. He plays football like a 5 a side game and has absolutely zero tactical discipline and positional sense.

i don't think any of that was on display today - he dwelled on the ball a few times, getting caught out with it but other than that i thought he put in a decent performance.

i don't think any of that was on display today - he dwelled on the ball a few times, getting caught out with it but other than that i thought he put in a decent performance.

running forward before proceeding to stop and dwell which inevitably results in the opposition stealing the ball and getting in dangerous position shows no tactical discipline..in particular positional sense.

Funny.
I actually think if Vlad wasn't playing alongside Younes you'd appreciate his quality even more. A CB who was prepared to play it from the back. Excellent. Short-term it will be tough, but long-term, and worth the right outlet pass to release some speed, it will be great.I think Soldado might yet benefit…still, a game of opinions for sure...

running forward before proceeding to stop and dwell which inevitably results in the opposition stealing the ball and getting in dangerous position shows no tactical discipline..in particular positional sense.

not imv it doesn't - unless of course he was told not to run with the ball. mostly it shows indecision on the ball. nothing wrong with a player moving from his position with the ball, his team mates should be aware and covering the space he leaves behind him anyway.

I'd give the whole team a 7 -- we played well imo, thoroughly deserved to win. We're gonna get mixed results this season, but the way we attacked and pressed, I felt real progress with how we played this game.

At some point, we are gonna need one of our attackers to become a match-winner. Costa upfront and we'd have had 3 points today! Ade is just Ade, he does alright but he's not a match-winner. Potentially, it's Eriksen and I'm pleased to see him regain a bit of form today.

*edit* we are also going to need a centre-half to become a match-saver. Not sure who that is gonna be.

Funny.
I actually think if Vlad wasn't playing alongside Younes you'd appreciate his quality even more. A CB who was prepared to play it from the back. Excellent. Short-term it will be tough, but long-term, and worth the right outlet pass to release some speed, it will be great.I think Soldado might yet benefit…still, a game of opinions for sure...

He doesn't play it from the back...he's a ball hogger like Dembele but unlike DEmbele he doesn't play in a position where you can do that most of the time. He also doesn't have dembele's ability to keep hold of possession and ride challenges (he does but nowhere near as good).

Lloris - 6

Dier - 6
Kaboul - 6
Chiriches - 6
Rose - 6

Capoue - 7
Dembele - 7

Lamela - 6
Eriksen - 8
Chadli - 7

Adebayor - 7

I thought they all played pretty well and the dropped points were for the ref and lady luck. On another day this could have been 6

Dembele - class today.

Just a quick comment on Lamela....2 separate scores for him. The first one I'd give him 8, where we turn play over and move forward quickly I think he looks great. Commits defenders and not afraid to get amongst it. The second one I'd give him a 6, where we are trying to break a team down that are behind the ball. He is really lost at times with the stepovers etc, desperately needs an overlapper or to work on his approach in this scenario. Looking forward to Walker coming back, they could work really well. I'm seeing improvement....that's the main thing.

Hey Bill, does doing the ratings this way for each game mean there will be an 'average for the season' for each player at the end of the season?

Hey Bill, does doing the ratings this way for each game mean there will be an 'average for the season' for each player at the end of the season?

We're looking at ways that we can reuse the data and that is one of the options.

Back