• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Martin Chivers on 'My beloved Spurs@

Spur of the moment

Frederic Kanoute
Just caught the latter stages of Danny Kelly interviewing Chiv on TalkSport which finished at midnight, sounded quite riveting.

Anyone else catch it?

Was great to hear him referring to Spurs as 'the love of my life' or something like that. Also heartening to hear him talking about the great camaraderie that existed among the players, Phil Beal, Alan Mullery, Stevie Perryman, Johnny Pratt, Alan Gilzean, Mike England, Ralph Coates, Pat Jennings, Jimmy Neighbour and the rest in the late sixties and through much of the seventies.

Even better to hear him describing the brilliant relationship he developed afterr his playing days with Sir Billy Nick whom he obviously held in the very highest regard despite all their squabbles and moans in his playing days.

Will have to make a point of listening again once it's posted on the Talkbrick website.

Last edited:
"Big Chiv" was my favourite Spurs player when I was a lad.

He had a difficult start to his Tottenham career after his record-breaking move from Southampton (sound familiar?) but from 1970 to 1975 he was one of the most lethal strikers in Britain.

Great player who was hampered by knee injuries, but for a time with us he was the best CF in Europe. And he is still our all time top scorer in Europe with 22 goals in 32 games.

Had a tough time to start with as he followed on from Greaves but became a proper Spurs legend. These days he probably would have been hounded out by the fans after a season.

Had a tough time to start with as he followed on from Greaves but became a proper Spurs legend. These days he probably would have been hounded out by the fans after a season.

A lot of our fans never took to him I could never work that out, he was great with JG until his knee injury which kept him out for a while, when he came back he got a lot of stick, Chiv, Peters and Gillie were mustard together, I remember Billy Nic praising him after scoring two goals against Villa in the LC final, Chivs had a long injury free career after his initial setback and I think we let him and Peters go far too early, Peters was outstanding at Norwich, happy days.

Just watched the LC Final on Youtube again. Big Chiv's second goal - a bit Berbatov-esque.

A lot of our fans never took to him I could never work that out, he was great with JG until his knee injury which kept him out for a while, when he came back he got a lot of stick, Chiv, Peters and Gillie were mustard together, I remember Billy Nic praising him after scoring two goals against Villa in the LC final, Chivs had a long injury free career after his initial setback and I think we let him and Peters go far too early, Peters was outstanding at Norwich, happy days.

I was at that game and third division Villa were better then us for most of the game, Perryman cleared one of the line and Chivers scored two goals in the last 10 minutes to win us the game.

I was at that game and third division Villa were better then us for most of the game, Perryman cleared one of the line and Chivers scored two goals in the last 10 minutes to win us the game.

I was there too, your spot on Villa were the better side, Chico Hamilton run us ragged, I thought Perryman was our best player on the day, great memories though mate.

I was there too, your spot on Villa were the better side, Chico Hamilton run us ragged, I thought Perryman was our best player on the day, great memories though mate.

Indeed, you can not beat winning trophies no matter how fortunate we were \o/

Bugger me I can remember almost nothing about it other than the footy was pretty boring. Was there with my best mate who happened to be a Villa fan so I had to suppress my victory celbrations somewhat.

Not sure if I've told this story but...

In June iirc 2003 I changed my season ticket from Paxton road to park lane (Couldn't handle it anymore) So I went into the park lane ticket office and picked up my new ticket and asked if I could view my new seat. Yes they said and asked me to go through to the main reception where I'd be met by a member of staff.

As I walked through out of the lift came Gary Mabbutt and Martin Chivers!!!! 20 years old and acted like a kid in a sweet shop - eyes wide open and a big smile on my face. Shook his hand and he said 'hello son' I was so gobsmacked and think I said 'Pleasure to meet you Mr Chivers'

He owns a pub in brookmans park nowadays I believe. They don't make players, or men for that matter, like him anymore.

What struck me about Martin Chivers was how humble he was and quite shy. Contrast this with the bombastic gobbricks, with half his talent in the modern game.

I was upset that he never really got a chance to strut his stuff in a major international tournament , as England were so brick in the period when he was in his pomp. Chiver's England performances were first rate, based on what I have seen on Youtube.

Back