• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

All that showed me was that he is young and not physically ready for the prem.

Gave the ball away, didn't release it early enough and ran into blind alleys.

Point is that he is young and needs to develop ... let's not build up a player that does not need it at the moment.

Maybe, just maybe at 17 it's too early to tell.

Not sure. With Hoddle and Gascoigne the intelligence was clear from the earliest days.

You can train players to stop doing dumb things (e.g. Dembele and not realising the ball), but you can't train a player to see the pass that 99/100 other players can't.

Not sure. With Hoddle and Gascoigne the intelligence was clear from the earliest days.

You can train players to stop doing dumb things (e.g. Dembele and not realising the ball), but you can't train a player to see the pass that 99/100 other players can't.
You got me on players like Hoddle and Gascoigne (perhaps throw in Messi and Ronaldo too) but we have to trust that Poch thinks he is trainable, or he would not have been taken on tour - unlike someone like Pritchard if the rumours of him being on the market are true. My reaction is based on the fact that so many people on here are so keen to look for faults from the get go, even from a 17 year old.

Was that YouTube clip literally every touch he had once he came on? He looks like he might have something about him but so does many young players, and let's be honest he did very little in that cameo and it's only because of his age it's being spoken about....

Was that YouTube clip literally every touch he had once he came on? He looks like he might have something about him but so does many young players, and let's be honest he did very little in that cameo and it's only because of his age it's being spoken about....
Agreed. I was wondering what I was missing?!?

Watching him play against seasoned professionals (first team or not) it is clear how far he has to go to make it.

There were a lot of occasions where he did well but ultimately failed to pick the right pass, that will come with experience. You could see that he was almost taken aback by how little time he was getting in key areas.

And let's not forget, this was a pre-season friendly against an Italian team - the Premiership will be a whole different level.

Really excited about his potential and comfortable in the knowledge that Poch will not rush his development. He has shown that he knows how to up a player's experience without being to the detriment of either the player or the team. We just have to look at the way Kane, Dier, Alli and now Onomah were slowly introduced at a pace that suited their development.

Let's hope that Edwards follows the same path.

My concern there was how easy it was to knock him off the ball. Until he can build a little strength any challenge is likely to result in losing possession.

What I noticed in the game was that he appeared to find space well and all though he did lose the ball early when he came on he soon started to pass the ball quicker. His stature will sometimes go against him but it never stopped Zola or Juninho being good players. He's got a lot to learn but given time, the right advice and application he could be a good 'un.

He is promising, but maybe we can just turn it down a notch for the moment. Highlight clips of a 30 min appearance in pre-season is a bit OTT for my liking.

It's not highlights, it's every touch he had. The game was played at 11.00 GMT and so lots of us were at work. I was interested in how things went especially after he scored at Rotherham and thought other fans might be too.

He is promising, but maybe we can just turn it down a notch for the moment. Highlight clips of a 30 min appearance in pre-season is a bit OTT for my liking.

Been following Spurs for over 50 years and the same thing has happened many times over those years to " one of our own" youngsters. The hype that surrounds a lot of these kids never bears fruit on many occasions but we the fans are as much to blame as anything. We rave about a cameo and expect them to be the next big thing but most times it never turns out that way.

Let these kids develop and then hopefully become a top player, we can do that without the hype because as sure as brick if the hype does not transmit to a top player some of the same fans who are creaming themselves about these players will be the same ones who are giving them brick when it does not transpire.

My concern there was how easy it was to knock him off the ball. Until he can build a little strength any challenge is likely to result in losing possession.

Juninho and Zola were two very small players who did well in the PL despite being short and lightweight - they succeeded by knowing how to shield the ball using their bodies. Even someone like Bergkamp was lightweight, though a bit taller, and since all those played, the PL has become less physical and football continuing to become a non-contact sport.

Juninho and Zola were two very small players who did well in the PL despite being short and lightweight - they succeeded by knowing how to shield the ball using their bodies. Even someone like Bergkamp was lightweight, though a bit taller, and since all those played, the PL has become less physical and football continuing to become a non-contact sport.
If Juninho and Zola were lightweights they were also mighty tough little buggers.

Bergkamp? No way was he lightweight and he was actually over 6ft tall. So a lot taller and stronger than Edwards:)

Back