• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

Marcus Edwards was a Tottenham Hotspur academy graduate and made his first team debut in an EFL Cup clash against Gillingham in September 2016.

A month later, the 20-year-old suffered a serious injury and was forced to miss the majority of the 2016/17 season.

After regaining full fitness, the attacker struggled for minutes and after loan spells at Norwich City and Dutch club Excelsior, he left Tottenham for Portuguese side Vitória de Guimarães last summer.

During his time at the north London club, Mauricio Pochettino likened Edwards to Barcelona star Lionel Messi and following that, there was a lot of media attention on the youngster.

Speaking to Portuguese newspaper Record, Edwards cited the attention as one of the reasons for his struggles at Tottenham.

“I wasn’t always an easy young man… And the media attention, the conversations about me, all of this didn’t benefit me. I don’t think I could handle all this well. And that was reflected in the way I played, the joy I had or didn’t have on the pitch,” the winger said.

“I needed a project like the one in Vitória, where I could be calm and just worry about playing football.”

E
dwards also gave his views on Tottenham’s decision to show Pochettino the exit door and replace him with José Mourinho.

“He’s a great manager, but all of this is still a little shocking to me, including Mourinho being the coach,” Edwards said about Mourinho’s appointment.

“I never thought that was possible. It’s very strange to see him with the Tottenham crest on his chest, but now that he’s there he wants to have all the success in the world, as he did in all the teams he was at.”

Apparently Sporting have agreed a £10m fee and we are due £5m of it. So thats £20m made from Foyth and Edwards already.

For all of Poch's brilliance, he wasn't all that good at bringing through youth players. Edwards could have been used as a sub against tired legs. He was a much better option than the average French wingers we'd bring on.

Looks like €3.25m? Some strange ownership
Agreement. I guess Vitoria still own the other 50%
So if he does well at a bigger club in sporting that 50% might be worth more going forward?

Looks like €3.25m? Some strange ownership
Agreement. I guess Vitoria still own the other 50%
So if he does well at a bigger club in sporting that 50% might be worth more going forward?

Oh i didn't see the update. Guessing we'd still own a quarter but get €3.25m. Might get another cheque a in a few years time. Good luck marcus.

I have no knowledge of these deals but I would guess Vitoria are the party that agrees the total fee and the other parties receive their sell on component based on that - but have no say.

Unless Sporting and Spurs have agreed to keep the sell on clause rather than settling on it- or a specific clause means Spurs can hold that interest and trigger a share of the transfer fee at their discretion.

I am also fairly certain we would want any cash due from that transfer ASAP.

I should also add it is great to hear he is pushing on after some failed loans and slow early progression.

We might elect to keep the interest so that we can buy him back easily should he continue to breakthrough.

I have no knowledge of these deals but I would guess Vitoria are the party that agrees the total fee and the other parties receive their sell on component based on that - but have no say.

Unless Sporting and Spurs have agreed to keep the sell on clause rather than settling on it- or a specific clause means Spurs can hold that interest and trigger a share of the transfer fee at their discretion.

I am also fairly certain we would want any cash due from that transfer ASAP.
Works best for all involved - we defer the sell on fee, Vitoria get more.
We roll the dice on him getting a big money move (15m is fudge all these days) in the future.

Just happy the lad is working his way back up
the football pyramid under his own steam.

why we didn’t use him as an impact sub instead of the toothless Njie etc or shield him from hype, I’ll never know. It shows his character and quality to be able to start again and prove himself at a series of clubs.

Back