• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Man United should 'snub the Europa League - a tournament for losers'

AuroRaman

Chris Armstrong
:eek: I've only just hit my 30's, but **** me, The UEFA Cup was and still is, in my opinion, a premier cup competition, only belittled by UEFA themselves for the cash money of the CL.

Articles like this only enforce a negative view for newer fans of this grand old competition. I know, Daily Fail and all that....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2578095/Manchester-United-belong-Champions-League-not-Europa-League-ADRIAN-DURHAM.html

United BELONG in the Champions League and if they finish fifth or sixth they should snub Europa... it's a tournament for losers
By ADRIAN DURHAM

From where they are now, it will be a seriously impressive achievement if Manchester United finish in a top-four place.
If they don’t, then they could end up fifth or sixth.

But there’s no way they should slum it in the Europa League. United are way too big a club to be involved with the minnows, so they should just refuse to enter.

Instead, they should follow through with the idea mooted last week –United should set up a series of friendlies against top European sides through the course of the campaign.

I would be surprised if these games didn’t attract bigger crowds than Arsenal, Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool get for proper Champions League ties next season.

Back in the 1950s Wolves, English champions and pioneers of big European nights under the floodlights in this country, played to packed houses at Molineux and on live television across the nation when they hosted the likes of Real Madrid, Celtic and the Hungarian giants of the time, Honved.
These games were all friendlies, but they were all massive.

English clubs were denied the chance to play in the European Cup when it first started back then because the people running the game in this country assumed an air of superiority over the rest of the continent.

United belong in Europe’s elite and it’s almost unfair that because of a change of manager, and a tricky transition, they will be denied Champions League football. It’s equally unfair that the Champions League will be without United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, and one of the biggest draws in Europe.

They have been England’s most successful representatives in the competition for the past 10 years and we will miss their participation.
There will be plenty of United haters scoffing at this, but the truth is the Red Devils don’t belong in the Europa League. Neither do the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

The elite shouldn’t be forced to enter this meaningless competition. And that includes United.

So I hope United attract the cream of Europe to Old Trafford for friendlies, rather than take part in the Europa League.

It’s a tournament for losers. One difficult season doesn’t mean United are losers.

shouldn’t be forced to enter this meaningless competition

I hope United attract the cream of Europe to Old Trafford for friendlies, rather than take part in the Europa League

Thought provoking as ever from Adrian Durham

Last edited:
I don't agree with all of it, but his base premise is correct, United would be better off not playing in it

In my opinion the following comments made by Dumbham are disgusting

"it's a tournament for losers"

"there’s no way they should slum it in the Europa League. United are way too big a club to be involved with the minnows"

"The elite shouldn’t be forced to enter this meaningless competition"

I could understand why he would say all that on his radio show, as he paid to get a reaction from callers, but I am almost livid reading that.
He actually needs to get his facts right in the first place. I know it doesnt happen every season because of dual-qualifiers (National Cup winners already in the CL), but most seasons there are probably more 'winners' in the Europa League than in the Champions League.
This season for instance out of our 4 CL entries only United were actually winners, City,Cheslea and Arsenal weren't
Whereas, in the EL Wigan and Swansea were both Cup winners

The only loser, as far as I can see, is you Mr Durham, you ginger-faced Peterborough-supporting twunt

The only loser, as far as I can see, is you Mr Durham, you ginger-faced Peterborough-supporting twunt

The minnowest of minnows.

I'd love it if they boycotted the Europa. Because they would almost certainly get a CL ban the next season.

Like it or not, Europa is a money spinner for clubs and I believe more attractive to any player than no European football at all. Two seasons with no continental action would be disastrous for Man U.

I don't agree with all of it, but his base premise is correct, United would be better off not playing in it

He's wrong, United and Moyes would bite your hand off if you offered them a chance at winning that/any Trophy next year.

Let's be clear, United has a huge fanbase, but barring a minor miracle (i.e. hundreds of millions of pounds), they aren't going to win the PL again anytime soon, they are miles away from competing with Europe's best (CL), they are going to have to earn that 4th place next year.

Even our fans forget the excitement we had when MJ actually had us in a qualifying position to play in Europe for the first times in many years.

The tournament is good, the format, the prizes and the media coverage is poor.

:eek: I've only just hit my 30's, but **** me, The UEFA Cup was and still is, in my opinion, a premier cup competition, only belittled by UEFA themselves for the cash money of the CL.

Articles like this only enforce a negative view for newer fans of this grand old competition. I know, Daily Fail and all that....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2578095/Manchester-United-belong-Champions-League-not-Europa-League-ADRIAN-DURHAM.html

United BELONG in the Champions League and if they finish fifth or sixth they should snub Europa... it's a tournament for losers
By ADRIAN DURHAM

From where they are now, it will be a seriously impressive achievement if Manchester United finish in a top-four place.
If they don’t, then they could end up fifth or sixth.

But there’s no way they should slum it in the Europa League. United are way too big a club to be involved with the minnows, so they should just refuse to enter.

Instead, they should follow through with the idea mooted last week –United should set up a series of friendlies against top European sides through the course of the campaign.

I would be surprised if these games didn’t attract bigger crowds than Arsenal, Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool get for proper Champions League ties next season.

Back in the 1950s Wolves, English champions and pioneers of big European nights under the floodlights in this country, played to packed houses at Molineux and on live television across the nation when they hosted the likes of Real Madrid, Celtic and the Hungarian giants of the time, Honved.
These games were all friendlies, but they were all massive.

English clubs were denied the chance to play in the European Cup when it first started back then because the people running the game in this country assumed an air of superiority over the rest of the continent.

United belong in Europe’s elite and it’s almost unfair that because of a change of manager, and a tricky transition, they will be denied Champions League football. It’s equally unfair that the Champions League will be without United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, and one of the biggest draws in Europe.

They have been England’s most successful representatives in the competition for the past 10 years and we will miss their participation.
There will be plenty of United haters scoffing at this, but the truth is the Red Devils don’t belong in the Europa League. Neither do the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
The elite shouldn’t be forced to enter this meaningless competition. And that includes United.

So I hope United attract the cream of Europe to Old Trafford for friendlies, rather than take part in the Europa League.

It’s a tournament for losers. One difficult season doesn’t mean United are losers.

Ahhh diddums.

If you dont finish in the top 4, you have not earned the right to be in the Champions League. If it was down to me, and you dont finish 1st you should not be in a competition called the Champions League

But if he thinks that is unfair, they should try finishing 4th and have their rightful place taken away from me. Dont recollect him writing an article about that travesty, course not, it didnt happen to Man United

He's wrong, United and Moyes would bite your hand off if you offered them a chance at winning that/any Trophy next year.

Let's be clear, United has a huge fanbase, but barring a minor miracle (i.e. hundreds of millions of pounds), they aren't going to win the PL again anytime soon, they are miles away from competing with Europe's best (CL), they are going to have to earn that 4th place next year.

Even our fans forget the excitement we had when MJ actually had us in a qualifying position to play in Europe for the first times in many years.

The tournament is good, the format, the prizes and the media coverage is poor.[/QUOTE]

This.

I might be part of the minority but I enjoy the Europa League, okay I admit I miss the Saturday matches, but still I accept it's the price we have to pay

"It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe.... we're nothing. we're nothing."

Chavs did it right, they got kicked down to it from the CL, then won it outright.

Just pure arrogance to say some clubs are too big for a competition. They are where they are because of results, not because of past history. Adrian is a toss pot, though I think few argue the EL is a much poorer version of the old UEFA cup.

Chavs did it right, they got kicked down to it from the CL, then won it outright.

Just pure arrogance to say some clubs are too big for a competition. They are where they are because of results, not because of past history. Adrian is a toss pot, though I think few argue the EL is a much poorer version of the old UEFA cup.

Its a shame really that it has become that, but it is still a European competition and providing you get through the Group Stage (which should be abolised, 2-legged matches all the way for me) you do get some decent opponents and some proper old-school Euro nights.

Here's to another one on Thursday

He's a **** but he's right. It's only worth being in the competition if you win it. We've not got past the quarters and it's hindered our league form.

Durham is probably a hypocritical ****. He's the type of person who dismisses the Europa League's value and importance. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's also the type that has a moral outrage when foreign managers are perceived not to take the FA Cup seriously.

The tournament is good, the format, the prizes and the media coverage is poor.

they'll make more money out of high profile friendlies

it's not the CL

it hinders qualification to the CL

Durham is and will always be a complete and utter twunt.

The EL loses its value when you see teams having to play on pitches that are worse than your average Sunday league ground, but to call it a bad competition is ********. By his rehtoric we should abandon the first few rounds of our domestic cups because the lower league clubs are "losers". UTD aren't too big for the competition. In fact given their current performances they aren't good enough for it.

Durham is and will always be a complete and utter twunt.

The EL loses its value when you see teams having to play on pitches that are worse than your average Sunday league ground, but to call it a bad competition is ********. By his rehtoric we should abandon the first few rounds of our domestic cups because the lower league clubs are "losers". UTD aren't too big for the competition. In fact given their current performances they aren't good enough for it.

Although strictly speaking those of us in the PL have already abandoned the early rounds of both cups.

If PL teams dropped into, say, the quarter finals of the UEFA I'd be all for it.

Back