1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Maanger Sack watch 18/19

Discussion in 'General Football' started by nayimfromthehalfwayline, 6 Aug 2018.

1. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Cecil Poynton

By default, as a PL club they are among the richest on the planet.

They dont have Emirates Marketing Project money, but £17m isnt a bank busting sum.

And whether they like it or not, they operate in the same market as everyone else - they dont have a special sub-market where £17m represents a big money buy.

They have struggled for goals, hence buying attacking players. Easier said than done when you are Brighton, though honestly I havent seen enough of them to know whether the players are good enough and need to settle or just duds.

Im not suggesting Houghton is a brilliant manager, and couldnt have done better (clearly he could) - I am suggesting he is very safe pair of hands, has done a tremendous job there and deserved time.

Im also suggesting unless you can obviously improve on him theres no point sacking him - and as it stands I dont see that better manager available to them.

Robspur12 likes this.
  2. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Gerry Armstrong

He has done a tremendous job but in this day and age its for clubs to right look up and look at the example set by Wolves and Watford and that be the benchmark, this is not Stoke 5/6 years ago, this is about progression and just because they are "plucky Brighton" does not mean they should not aspire to more.

I don't buy the who do they think they are and what doe they expect, the obviously expect more and for the 6th biggest net spend in the league and the volume of players they have purchased they should want to look up and not down and so should Houghton.

harr1984 likes this.
  3. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Im not talking about Stoke or them being plucky or any of that nonsense.

Im saying they got promoted with a midtable Championship squad. It needs a lot of investment just to bring it up to a lower Pl level squad.

And even with that squad he has kept them up two seasons now, a remarkable achievement.

I can see he has tried to develop it further and add goals, and it would seem that hasnt worked (yet?), but I dont see that as a sacking offence.

Yes, ALL clubs should aspire to more - but right now Brighton have sacked off a safe pair of hands for wishful thinking.

Hardly a sensible move.

And, potentially in the "who do they think they are" realm - who do they think they will attract as manager (and then players) to really push them on?

I would suggest they are either looking at Pl journeymen like Pardew or rising talent from below. Either a much riskier option than sticking with Hughton IMHO.

Robspur12 likes this.
  4. Grays_1890

This is the Premier League not the Bostik league, teams should and will have a clear plan, as simple as it stands, 15th and 40 points, whats next years plan, improve, reality got worse on more spend. Clubs won't accept that and rightly so.

You said they are in the same league as all of us, so they should rightly expect more, its the only way to move forward.

End of the day, fair sacking for me, worse team I saw this season

5. Grays_1890

I would suggest thats purely based on your knowledge though not that of the football world where there are literally hundred of talented managers out there with forward thinking ways of management. I bet you would never have picked the manager for Wolves two years ago?

6. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Probably not (and Im impressed by him).

Wolves undertook a root and branch change with him and invested SIGNIFICANTLY to make it work, as well as making a deal with the devil.

Wolves are also a much more attractive club than Brighton, and historically more significant, so they have a degree of kudos to work with also.

Look at Brighton, who and what they are, what options are there out there?

If their squad really is as bad you say theyll need to replace those poor buys regardless. And its well established new managers, with new ideas will want new players to make it work. So they have to spend money whatever.

Who can they attract? Management and Player wise?

Let me guess, youll just respond with the "its not my job to know/there must be people out there" response, wont you?

I would suggest that yes, while there is talent out there, Brighton will struggle to bring it in.

Robspur12 likes this.
  7. Grays_1890

Chris Houghton was 2nd year Prem Manager and spent a bomb even in Prem terms, he nearly got out smarted by a club whose record signing never saw the light of day and is managed by Neil Warnock. Im sorry but Brighton should have progressed not regressed.

8. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

I think it's an ambitious move by Brighton, but it may well backfire. Overall, Hughton did his job, which is to keep them up. The club obviously want more, but they will struggle to get it imo. Fulham spent over £100m in the summer and still went down.

9. indospurs

indospurs Mido

Moyes ? Who else fancies a job dahn sarf ?

10. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Second season is notoriously difficult. And he kept them up, even if it was a struggle that is really significant.

I see you dodged the idea of offering any specifics. Not that Im trying to dig at you - but I think it speaks volumes.

It is clear there are no obvious better options, player or manager, otherwise you would be able to suggest some.

So while you might think its fair to sack him (I dont, but I certainly dont think he has been brilliant either) I think you have to accept it was hardly a great move to sack him right now. Else there would be clear, positive, alternatives to suggest.

Chances are itll backfire. Right now they will be favourites to go down for me.

If Hughton stayed they would still be favourites for the drop/bottom 6 - but as it stands I would have fancied him to keep them up again.

How ambitious it is is yet to be seen. They pull in Mourinho, then yes - absolutely! They pull in Moyes? Then no, not at all...

They are in a terribly difficult situation, one where I dont honestly think they have the capacity to push up to mid table any time soon. They are a slow build kind of club IMO, and Hughton was as good as anyone for the job.

Robspur12 likes this.
  11. Grays_1890

When I am in a meeting at work?

No need to be an utter pr1ck using a tone of "it speaks volumes"

12. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

I love Chris and i think Brighton have taken a risk by sacking him ( depends who they get next), however he is a defensive manager and i would expect that is why they got rid of him. My son in law is a S/T holder at Norwich and he said that towards the end of Hughtons time there the football was awful and no ambition on the pitch.

13. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Chris Armstrong

Would love to see the Cowley brothers at Lincoln get a big gig sometime soon. They’ve worked miracles in the lower leagues, I just wonder if their style is transferable or changeable at the higher levels. They play fairly agricultural football but could just be a case of needs must / horses for courses at the current level ?

14. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Quite specifically I prefixed the comment "Not that Im trying to dig at you".

Because I wasnt trying to dig at you, like "an utter prick". I was pointing to your lack of response as a response in itself.

How am I supposed to know you are in a meeting at work? Youre replying fast enough...

You should know well enough by now that if I wanted to act the clam Id do a much more direct and successful job of it.

Instead I do try to just post things literally, no subtext and hidden meaning. I say what I mean/mean what I say.

And in this case - I predicted you would not have a response because I dont believe there is an obvious one, which is my entire point. And you failed to provide a response. Hence my, quite reasonably, pointing out that basically supports what I was saying.

By all means throw a tantrum, plenty do - but understand you have misread my intention. I certainly wasnt trying to wind you up.

15. Robspur12

Robspur12 Mitchell Thomas

This. Disgusted with Brighton tbh kept them up two seasons in a row. 2 seasons in the Premier League is no more than consolidation especially when you do not have great quality at your disposal. He deserved at least some of next season to see if he could build on this season.

Last edited: 13 May 2019
  16. Legohamster

Legohamster Vedran Corluka

I know a lot of Brighton ST holders and it’s the worst football in the league being dished up there - it’s the worst in the league

I’ve been twice this season (a draw with Fulham and a win over Wolves) and it was only terrible finishing that meant they got anything out of those games.

They lost to Cardiff twice and should have gone down.

The sacking is correct.

17. harr1984

harr1984 Steve Carr

Funnily enough this is what people were saying when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins and replaced him with a certain Pochettino.....

Legohamster likes this.
  18. Grays_1890

Well it didnt because like I said I was in a meeting and my last message at that time crossed over with yours and then I headed into a two hour meeting at work. So you can take that time in space as a victory if you like but you were wrong.

19. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Simon Davies

Is he the bloke who owned The Pheonix Nightclub?

20. fernadez

fernadez Jamie Redknapp

Brighton should have watched this.