• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lucas Moura

Moura is a player that I think Jose can have a big impact with. Make him feel wanted, and that he can play as long as he does his defensive side as well. There is no doubting he can be affective and have an impact on a game but when he is not playing well he has to do the tactical basics as well. He is good in the Air, fast and skillful. So just add the defensive side to your game and the impact for him to the to team could be massive.

Needs to add more to his game than scoring a goal every so often in order to be a starter long term

Right now I don’t see any too many better options, that includes everyone in the squad when they are fit. Not saying we can’t or shouldn’t look to upgrade on him but I think he’s a better option than Lamela for example who people tout as a player we should use in big games. Well, Moura has scored away from home against City, United, Liverpool, Wolves, Ajax and Barcelona. Not a bad resume.

Of the three attackers behind Kane he’s clearly the one that would be easiest to improve on but he’s fully deserving of a place on the side now and I’d like to see him retain his place even when Lamela is fit.

I suspect he's more integral to Mourinho's plans than he's given credit for being.

When I think of Lucas, I think of a number of Mourinho players from his classic sides. Loic Remy from his 14-15 Chelski side. Jose Callejon from his 2011-2012 Madrid side. Damien Duff from his 04-05 Chelski side.

And, most prominently (and perhaps appropriately), Goran Pandev, from his 2009-2010 Inter side, a side which very much resembles our own right about now.

These players weren't the flashiest. They were all sort of wingers/inside forwards/ emergency central midfielders who had a fair amount of pace, good finishing ability, and reasonable passing skills...

...but were also relentlessly functional tactical cogs, in the purest sense of the term. They filled a role for Mourinho, in that they held down the defensive aspects of whichever side they played on, allowing the creative midfielder to be more free, and the 'pacy' winger (in chronological order, Robben, Eto'o, Ronaldo and Hazard) to wreak havoc on the other side. They also popped up with quite a few goals, but that wasn't their primary role - their role was to counterbalance the winger and No.10 up front, in a similar vein to how the attacking full-back was counter-balanced by a more defensive one a bit further back.

Lucas fits that role to a tee - he counterbalances Dele (Lampard/Sneijder/Ozil/Oscar) and Son (the aforementioned Robben, Eto'o, Ronaldo and Hazard). And thus, he's probably less at risk of being shuffled out than one may assume.

I suspect he's more integral to Mourinho's plans than he's given credit for being.

When I think of Lucas, I think of a number of Mourinho players from his classic sides. Loic Remy from his 14-15 Chelski side. Jose Callejon from his 2011-2012 Madrid side. Damien Duff from his 04-05 Chelski side.

And, most prominently (and perhaps appropriately), Goran Pandev, from his 2009-2010 Inter side, a side which very much resembles our own right about now.

These players weren't the flashiest. They were all sort of wingers/inside forwards/ emergency central midfielders who had a fair amount of pace, good finishing ability, and reasonable passing skills...

...but were also relentlessly functional tactical cogs, in the purest sense of the term. They filled a role for Mourinho, in that they held down the defensive aspects of whichever side they played on, allowing the creative midfielder to be more free, and the 'pacy' winger (in chronological order, Robben, Eto'o, Ronaldo and Hazard) to wreak havoc on the other side. They also popped up with quite a few goals, but that wasn't their primary role - their role was to counterbalance the winger and No.10 up front, in a similar vein to how the attacking full-back was counter-balanced by a more defensive one a bit further back.

Lucas fits that role to a tee - he counterbalances Dele (Lampard/Sneijder/Ozil/Oscar) and Son (the aforementioned Robben, Eto'o, Ronaldo and Hazard). And thus, he's probably less at risk of being shuffled out than one may assume.

The Duff one was my thought...

The Duff one was my thought...

He's a long way to go to be at that level, at the moment unless he has scored his impact on matches over 90 minutes has been non existent and we can't afford to carry players like that unless they're scoring over 1 in 2, imo, even then they can still be a drain on team performance (see Kane when off form but still scoring the last year or so)

He has a chance to prove me wrong as our options are limited and he will get a good run of games between now and the end of the season so it's up to him to show himself able to contribute to team play

Last edited:
He’s similar to Son that his strengths lie in being a direct runner and making goals for himself, when it doesn’t come off or they aren’t receiving the ball in the final third you tend not to think of them having a good or an ordinary / invisible game.

If we keep playing to their strengths by getting the ball to them early and Moura gets a run of games we will see even more goals I’m sure of it!
Son has seven assists in the league this season, one in the CL. That's a significant improvement on previous seasons as he's had about that number in full seasons previously.

Moura so far has two assists in the league and CL combined in his Spurs career.

He's doing some things better now Moura, but he needs to keep improving if he wants to be an obvious first choice like Son is.

Mourinho rates him, I think he thinks he can improve him. I'm not going to bet against that.

He’s similar to Son that his strengths lie in being a direct runner and making goals for himself, when it doesn’t come off or they aren’t receiving the ball in the final third you tend not to think of them having a good or an ordinary / invisible game.

If we keep playing to their strengths by getting the ball to them early and Moura gets a run of games we will see even more goals I’m sure of it!
Son has seven assists in the league this season, one in the CL. That's a significant improvement on previous seasons as he's had about that number in full seasons previously.

Moura so far has two assists in the league and CL combined in his Spurs career.

He's doing some things better now Moura, but he needs to keep improving if he wants to be an obvious first choice like Son is.

Mourinho rates him, I think he thinks he can improve him. I'm not going to bet against that.

He's a long way to go to be at that level, at the moment unless he has scored his impact on matches over 90 minutes has been non existent and we can't afford to carry players like that unless they're scoring over 1 in 2, imo, even then they can still be a drain on team performance (see Kane when off form but still scoring the last year or so)

He has a chance to prove me wrong as our options are limited and he will get a good run of games between now and the end of the season so it's up to him to show himself able to contribute to team play

I agree with you mate. I was just saying that I think right now Mourinho sees him as that sort of player in this set-up.

Tottenham star Lucas Moura opens up on failed Man Utd transfer
The former PSG man was twice close to joining the Red Devils but insists he has no regrets and is happy to have ended up at Spurs

Tottenham forward Lucas Moura has admitted he was close to joining Manchester United in the past before eventually opting for Paris Saint-Germain instead.

The 27-year-old is a fans' favourite at Spurs following his heroic hat-trick against Ajax in the Champions League semi-final last year, and he has also impressed under Jose Mourinho so far, scoring three goals in the Portuguese's five Premier League games.

Lucas started his career at Brazilian side Sao Paolo before making the move to PSG in 2013, but speaking to ESPN Brasil he said he held talks with the legendary Sir Alex Ferguson before his final decision.

"Yes, there was a conversation," Lucas said. "I was very close to signing with Manchester United. It was still at the time of Ferguson.

"I ended up choosing PSG, I spent five fantastic years there, I won a lot, learned a lot. I do not regret it.

"Despite the hard times, the bad times, I don't regret it because I grew a lot, I learned a lot. Now I'm here in the Premier League, and it's a new hope."

Lucas has also lifted the lid on his first words with Mourinho when he took the job at Spurs, and said he has a good relationship with the fellow Portuguese-speaker, who was seemingly keen to sign the player during his time as Real Madrid manager.

Lucas added: "He arrived, was more relaxed, he spoke of the time of Sao Paulo, which he talked to my parents when he was at Real Madrid.

"It was more relaxed. He always asks how I am. It's very cool, I always have this openness with him to talk. Even because of the language, it makes it a lot easier."

Lucas will be hoping he can continue his fine recent scoring streak when Spurs take on London rivals Chelsea on Sunday in a game which could be hugely important in the battle for Champions League qualification.

Probably needs an extended period of time out due to injury, should improve his hero status. Scoring a hat trick in the CL semi final didn’t help clearly.
I KNOW!

I mean, FFS, we still talk about that clogger Rosenthal scoring three against Southampton in the 5th (?) round of an FA Cup competition where we ended up surrendering meekly to some jammy scousers.

We may still have surrendered meekly to some jammy scousers in the end, but Moura's hat trick was on one of the biggest stages in world football. Maybe it's just too soon, and he'll be a cult hero come 2043.

Probably needs an extended period of time out due to injury, should improve his hero status. Scoring a hat trick in the CL semi final didn’t help clearly.
Hero status is overrated anyway.

I'm quite certain that Mourinho has made it quite clear what he wants from Moura to be a regular first choice, up to him to deliver. So far the change of manager has been a real boost to his chances at Spurs, but he needs to perform consistently, do his job in the defensive process, and deliver a fairly consistent end product.

More hopeful now than before that he will actually fulfill his obvious talent with us.

Back