• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Liverpoool won't do a Spurs"

ShelfLife

Clive Wilson
Is it just me or is this getting really tiresome? I've been reading it in virtually every other spurs related headline over the last few days, with ex-Liverpool players appearing to be particularly vigorous in their parroting of the phrase. Apart form the obvious fact that I, being a sensitive soul, don't really like too see my club become a by word for wasteful spending and failure in the transfer market, it's such a lazy maxim, lacking any nuance or context. Granted, last season was somewhat underwhelming, but we finished 6th, one place below the previous season's placing. With a virtually new side, which wasn't without its relative successes (specifically Eriksen).

Now I've got nothing particularly against Liverpool, respect them as footballing institution and their history blahdy, blah, blah, but man this is beginning to grate. You're not going to do a Spurs with the Suarez money? Well good for ****ing you. Can we move on now please.

I like how the club who sounded a windfall on Andy Caroll calls it "doing a Spurs"

We did a Liverpool last season.

Modric - £16m
Van der Vaart £8m
Bale - £10m

= £34m

Henderson - £20m
Downing - £20m
Carroll - £35m

= £75m

No way can they ever talk about 'doing a spurs' unless what they mean is signing to many players in one go, which I agree with. Is a lot of cheek about it all though. The majority of the players we signed are young lads with more to offer. I personally think Soldado is the main one with question marks given his age and experience but we've seen things like this with other guys with different teams. Shevchenko for example was one of if not the best striker in Europe when he signed for Chelsea. Didn't go to well did it?

Main problem for us IMO was signing to many players at once.

Main problem for us IMO was signing to many players at once.

That is what I believe doing a spurs means. Selling best player for mega bucks and buying too many players with the money, expecting instant results

That is what I believe doing a spurs means. Selling best player for mega bucks and buying too many players with the money, expecting instant results

Well, according to Sky sports, Liverpool have already signed five players this summer (one a youngster on a free from us, actually), while Brendan Rodgers today is quoted saying this:

Obviously Luis going gives us the clout to go and spend more and we are getting the right type of player in. [...] We are looking for several players who can add to what we have and improve us again.

It looks to me they are well on their way to "do a Spurs".

I think "doing a Spurs" has more negative undertones than just buying several players at once.

It's accepted wisdom that last year we "wasted" the Bale money on a lot of "expensive flops"

Last season was a shambles, judging the players (and specifically the amount of signings) on that is not fair. At first they played like a new team, you'd expect that, and the stupid managerial situation took over. Injured, 'injured', dropped, scores and is dropped the next game.. some weird stuff going on.

Rodgers has a mixed record of signings. Already players like Luis Alberto and Aspas have gone out on loan elsewhere. Emre Can is decent, Markovic is pretty good, but these are players of the level and price range you'd expect Spurs of last season to be shopping around for. They have, in fact, 'done a Spurs' already. 60m already and apparently this isn't including the Suarez cash. Interesting to see who else they go for - need a forward but replacing Suarez's goals will be nigh on impossible.

I think "doing a Spurs" has more negative undertones than just buying several players at once.

It's accepted wisdom that last year we "wasted" the Bale money on a lot of "expensive flops"

Exactly. It's always a real snidely comment about the failure of our signings. The fact we signed to many players at once is barely, if ever, mentioned.

I think doing a Spurs also includes buying players who are unproven in English football

Most teams do this now though. Buying players from the Premier League and particularly English ones is far to expensive.

Last season we signed Soldado for £26m. A lot of money but Benteke would have been around that and he'd only had one succesful season in a big league, which just so happened to be this one. Andy Carroll cost Liverpool £35m too. Given those options I think most people would go for Soldado given his goal ratio in Spain.

Plenty of teams have done it, are doing it as we speak and will carry on doing it.

They have hardly signed a bunch of worldbeaters. Seems to me they are going to do exactly what we did with our money. But I agree, I dont like to call it 'doing a Spurs', and thats the main reason I would love to see Lamela and Soldado in particular really tear it up this season

Bingo. Eriksen is the only player at this point who looks like good business, I think Lamela will come good and possibly Soldado but I've not been impressed with Paulinho, Chadi, Capoue or Chiriches.

I think they have a very good chance of doing better than we did in a somewhat similar situation last summer. They haven't only signed players without PL experience and they have a much better attacking unit than we did when we lost Bale, they weren't as dependent on Suarez I thought.

That being said they're in for a very tough season with massive expectations, having over performed a bit last season (imo) and the addition of CL football.

i wouldn't say this is doing a spurs as we've only done it once, however their run in last season could fairly be described that way

If "doing a Spurs" is buying too many players and expecting them all to slot straight in day one and bring instant success then they're absolutely doing a spurs. There's no way that every player they buy will work out, it just doesn't happen, for any team/manager. Like us they've lost their best player, replacing the skill, guile and fear factor of a player like Suarez (and Bale) is impossible so they are definitely worse off, as we were. I expect them to be fighting with us and united for 4th/5th/6th

the headline is meant to antagonize both pool and spurs fans to sell more papers/record more clicks. by that measure it is an excellent headline.

Back