• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

Have to agree with parklane1 Messi plays in a team with several world class players whereas Maradonna carried a team of workmen at Napoli and an average Argentine team. Sad to see noboby includes Cruyff in the mix he was a great

People don't realise what an average side that Argentina were in 1986. He also got them to a final 4 years later.

I find it a tad hypocritical that people will hold it against Messi because he plays in a team with plenty of other supremely talented players, and yet no one holds it against Pele even though he was also surrounded by superstars. He even got injured in the 1962 World Cup and Brazil still went on to win the tournament!

:| But surely it's all relative.

Defenders are more athletic, but so are the forwards.

Not to mention that creative players are protected now from being physically assaulted a dozen times a game. The game is set up far more now to suit attacking players than it ever was. I'd have loved to have seen Hoddle in the modern era, he would've been untouchable! Gazza actually wouldn't have been as effective, because Gazza relied heavily on using his elbows to dribble past defenders and would sometimes literally shove them out of his way as he ran (which in the modern game would be a foul).

Back on topic, I am too young for Best or Pele, so Maradona is the best I've seen. But Messi is running him close and if Messi can keep this level of performance up for another three or four seasons then I think he'll be the best I've ever seen.

I would like to see Messi in a team like ours - see whether he would be as effective. Because you can argue that he isnt that effective for Argentina because he doesnt have the same calibre of players as he does at Barca.

I see Messi has just scored his 233rd goal for Barca making him the highest goal scorer in the club's history

Last edited:
Heres a stat: Fernando Torres (3 in 36), Andy Carroll (5 in 31) and Luis Suarez (10 in 36) have scored as many goals in a combined 103 league matches as Lionel Messi has in 7

He will re-write the record books.

If he wins world player of the year for the fourth time, he will surpass all of the others. International football is not the benchmark, the Champions League is and this lad is going to be the all time leading goalscorer in that too.

He will re-write the record books.

If he wins world player of the year for the fourth time, he will surpass all of the others. International football is not the benchmark, the Champions League is and this lad is going to be the all time leading goalscorer in that too.

agree

Going back to the whole messi has to win the world cup can anyone remind me how many european cups pele and maradonna won?

Back