• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

@Raziel -- how can you not be a Messi fanboy? He's a joy to watch!

I think being good at multiple clubs is a positive for the title of "greatest ever." Then again, Michael Jordan had all his success in one team, for one period of time and is talked of as the greatest ever basketball player. Many of us would call our own Ledley our greatest ever defender, he only did it for us -- but we saw with our own eyes how good he was.

I think people are in danger of trivialising just how good Messi has been for Barca. It's worth me pasting this from the first paragraph of his wiki page, and you kind of need to read it a couple of times to appreciate it:

A prolific goalscorer, Messi holds the records for most goals scored in La Liga, a La Liga season (50), a calendar year (91), a single season (73), a Champions League match (5), and most Champions League seasons (5). Being also a creative playmaker, Messi holds the record for most assists made in La Liga and Copa América.

And although he hasn't hit those heights for Argentina, he is still their all-time leading goalscorer, one of their all-time most creative players (see above, most assists in Copa America) and as captain, has led them to 3 consecutive finals of major tournaments. Very small margins and he'd have won the lot for Argentina to be fair.

It's fun to compare players from different generations, we can never really have a definitive answer. My daughter is dragging me off for a walk over the park or I'd probably keep going!

Messi is the best I've seen.

But he is not my favourite that goes to to our Glenn!

I've been lucky to see some greats with Best, Cruyff and Maradona all up there!

@Raziel -- how can you not be a Messi fanboy? He's a joy to watch!

I think being good at multiple clubs is a positive for the title of "greatest ever." Then again, Michael Jordan had all his success in one team, for one period of time and is talked of as the greatest ever basketball player. Many of us would call our own Ledley our greatest ever defender, he only did it for us -- but we saw with our own eyes how good he was.

I think people are in danger of trivialising just how good Messi has been for Barca.

He's been 1 of the 2 best players of the last generation, no question, no argument (and no, I'm not going to rehash if he's the best of this or any generation).

He is however human, and has failed to live up to billing at national level, I saw him play in the Copa this year, and his record won't look too bad (goals/assists), but truthfully he was poor and numbers were more a reflection of opposition, the free kick everyone raved over was nothing special (seen Erisken score better) and it highlights the annoyance factor with Messi.

He's good enough that his actual great stuff should be highlighted, when every time he does something basic (that a hundred other players do weekly) and everyone fawns over it, its just annoying.

If Messi had the tournament (in Copa) than Griezmann has had in the Euro's, I can't even begin to imagine the toss fest ...

Cm7-R0_XYAIL8hY.jpg

They've gone full Suarez. :confused:

Almost all the top players seem to have this unpaid tax problems. Even Maradona had 33m unpaid tax problems during his time at Napoli. Barcelona better protect Messi or he might want to leave Spain and play elsewhere. I am sure PL teams like ManCity, ManU or Chelsea will be trying to steal Messi from Barcelona.

Hat-trick for him tonight. I read that he has the most goals in Europe this calendar year -- I thought he was supposed to be in decline! Maybe the most consistently brilliant player that there's ever been, it is year after year with him.

Back