• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

:| But surely it's all relative.

Defenders are more athletic, but so are the forwards.

Exactly, which is why I agree with the person who said you can't compare those from different generations. I mean what is there to compare? Achievements? But that isn't fair as Best played for Northern Ireland or Di Stefano who never even went to a World Cup with either Argentina or Spain.

I mean why isn't Messi better than Maradona? Is it because he hasn't single handedly won the world cup? Like someone said, at the time the World Cup was the pinnacle of football, but nowadays it's the Champions League, you only have to look at football played to see that the World Cup has lost the prestige it once had and Messi has already single handedly won Barca the Champions League with his goals.

He's 24 years old.

He has played 311 games for Barcelona, scoring 228 and assisting 93 goals.

He has played 67 games for Argentina, scoring 22 and assisting 20 goals.

His honors include five La liga trophies, three Champions leagus trophies, two FIFA World cup trophies, one spanish cup trophy and one olympic gold medal.

He had been voted world player of the year three years running now, he's won numerous similar awards, he's been the Champions league top scorer the three past seasons (and looks likely to win it this year as well), he's been man of the match in the Champions league final, etc. etc. etc.

I'd say there's absolutely no doubt Messi is one of the all time greatest football players. If he keeps playing like he does, scoring goals for fun and winning awards for the next five or so years, he will be the greatest.

I do agree it's rather pointless to compare players from different eras, though, but you can't ignore his amazing stats at the very highest level. The guy is phenomenal.

What I love about Messi is his ability to chip the keeper at will, its a dying art and I miss it these days. For me he is the best player I have ever seen, if he can drag Argentina to a semi or final with some goals then his legend status will be complete.

I do wonder if he will fade out though, it happened to Ronaldo so why not messi. One of the biggest things Messi has going for him though is that it seems he is very very level headed.

Just 7 goals away from becoming Barcelona's all time goal scorer. He is gonna break it in a few weeks time, and you really have to wonder if his new record will be equalled in our life time

What I love about Messi is his ability to chip the keeper at will, its a dying art and I miss it these days. For me he is the best player I have ever seen, if he can drag Argentina to a semi or final with some goals then his legend status will be complete.

I do wonder if he will fade out though, it happened to Ronaldo so why not messi. One of the biggest things Messi has going for him though is that it seems he is very very level headed.

Ronaldo loved the party life, and when you add to that the wear and tear of all those injuries something was always gonna give. Messi is a completely different kettle of fish

Ronaldo loved the party life, and when you add to that the wear and tear of all those injuries something was always gonna give. Messi is a completely different kettle of fish

true and I agree with you about Messi's mentality. But Still he could be one serious injury away from being a player in decline. if he keeps this level up into his 30's then he will be the first player able to sustain this kind of level for a really long period of time.

I can only assume that is the Brazilian one in which case, I'd argue he never really faded per se and was one of the best of his generation (if not 'the' best) for a decade

His record alone is phenomenal

Unless of course you mean his fitness in which case bear in mind he appears to have suffered from a chronic metabolic condition

I can only assume that is the Brazilian one in which case, I'd argue he never really faded per se and was one of the best of his generation (if not 'the' best) for a decade

His record alone is phenomenal

Unless of course you mean his fitness in which case bear in mind he appears to have suffered from a chronic metabolic condition

Forget what i wrote, I meant Ronaldinhio not Ronaldo! sorry!

I'd say there's absolutely no doubt Messi is one of the all time greatest football players. If he keeps playing like he does, scoring goals for fun and winning awards for the next five or so years, he will be the greatest.

I do agree it's rather pointless to compare players from different eras

Sorry mate but you've completely contradicted yourself there. Either you can't compare different eras or you can.

It was scary that even though Ronaldo had problems with his knee, that he loved to party and he also fluctuated in weight so much - that he was still banging them in for Real Madrid and Brazil late into his career. He wasn't the same player as in his PSV and Barcelona days - but he was still a fantastic footballer.

Sorry mate but you've completely contradicted yourself there. Either you can't compare different eras or you can.

Or, like I was trying to say, you can compare them, but point out the fact that its impossible to come to a definite conclusion as football is different now than it was. Hence me putting him in the group of players who have all been classified as world class at some point - Messi is up there with Maradona, Pele, Zidane, etc in my eyes.

I could have been more accurate in my wording, but when you look at the boy's stats and how he concistently performs - not only in the two horse race that is La liga - but at the highest level today (Champions league), he is undoubtedly world class. If he is better than Maradona was? Impossible to say. At the same level? Yes, I think. But until time machines are invented, we're stuck speculating.

He is amazing thats for sure but i dont like him. I prefer CR7 or Ronaldinho back in the days.

If messi is the best then he'll have to show it in another club/league.

Back