• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

Park Lane James

Andy Sinton
Just watched the documentary, who has seen it? I thought it was highly enjoyable, with a lot of prominent figures in world football (past and present) contributing to the tale of Lionel Messi. IMO, there isn't a better player in the world at this time, but the talk about him being the greatest player of all-time is ridiculous. I don't think you can compare players from different eras, as the demand from one time to another are completely different. Messi has never played on the muddy pitches that the likes of Cruyff, Pele, Di Stefano (had to include him :D ) did - and the competition that they faced and the demands placed on them by coaches etc were completely different. I believe that you can only compare players that played at the same time, and at this moment Messi is the best of his generation. The best of the generation before him were the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Paolo Maldini etc.

Anyway, great program - try and catch it on catch up or 4od.

ipad-art-wide-messi-420x0.jpg

Some say he'll never be considered along with Maradona or Pele until he performs in a World Cup. I say that's poppy****. In Pele and Maradona's time, the World Cup was the pinnacle of football, when the best played against the best.

Now, that is the Champions League. And Messi dines out on the Champions League and bricks goals.

Best player I've seen in my lifetime.

He has nothing to prove at club level. He's done against all the big sides from every country time after time. Best player in the world by a mile! Some people think the CL has overtaken the World Cup, but the World Cup is still the biggest stage in football. I think it depends how many goals and Champions League winners medals he ends up with. If he retires with 700 goals and 6 or 7 Champions League winners medals, then I don't think there can be any debate about who is the greatest, but I think if he were to get injured and never play again, people would use his performances in the World Cup against him.

Some say he'll never be considered along with Maradona or Pele until he performs in a World Cup. I say that's poppy****. In Pele and Maradona's time, the World Cup was the pinnacle of football, when the best played against the best.

Now, that is the Champions League. And Messi dines out on the Champions League and bricks goals.

Best player I've seen in my lifetime.
Agree entirely

If he keeps on going on at this rate then he'll always be considered as part of the 'Pantheon of greats' that has played the game. To actually choose a 'greatest' within that select group just isn't necessary.

It's a fantastic story. In the age where more and more football stars are built like behemoths and tone their physique to ridiculous levels to gain an edge, Messi terrifies defences and creates absolutely beautiful moments on the pitch while looking not particularly fit, muscular or athletic. He's short, has an average build, and plays with a smile on his face more often than not. He just looks like a regular, non-descript, cheerful guy dropped into a football ground. If said normal, non-descript, cheerful guy was blessed with the touch of a footballing GHod and had a centre of gravity so low he could literally run sideways, of course.

He's a phenomenal, fantastic, awe-inspiring player. He's also a regular-looking Joe, who's done nothing particularly controversial or dingdongish in his career. And he's the complete anti-thesis to Ronaldo, who, with his meticulously toned physique, constant angry scowl and sheer arrogance, typifies the modern player.

In fact, looking at that paragraph, one could say the same of a certain Paul Gascoigne; was short, stocky, not particularly athletic, but always enjoyed the game and was a footballing genius. Or of Modric, who seems in the same mould. These are the players you can easily relate to, not the ultra-sleek mega-men that thunder around pitches and peer down from billboards these days.

Amazing footballer, plays the game like the rest of mankind can only do on a games console.

Show is available on ITV Player here: http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=311328

In fact, looking at that paragraph, one could say the same of a certain Paul Gascoigne; was short, stocky, not particularly athletic, but always enjoyed the game and was a footballing genius. Or of Modric, who seems in the same mould. These are the players you can easily relate to, not the ultra-sleek mega-men that thunder around pitches and peer down from billboards these days.

Why is it whenever a British player has exceptional talent, like Gazza and Best, they invariably turn to the bottle and ruin their careers. Don't think there's much chance of Messi falling into that trap.

Amazing footballer, plays the game like the rest of mankind can only do on a games console.

Show is available on ITV Player here: http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=311328

Why is it whenever a British player has exceptional talent, like Gazza and Best, they invariably turn to the bottle and ruin their careers. Don't think there's much chance of Messi falling into that trap.

Probably partly due to the fact that britain has much more of a binge drinking culture than other countries going back centuries if not millennia. Even chroniclers of the first crusades banged on about how the English contingent were a bunch of drunken louts compared to their European counterparts!

Probably partly due to the fact that britain has much more of a binge drinking culture than other countries going back centuries if not millennia. Even chroniclers of the first crusades banged on about how the English contingent were a bunch of drunken louts compared to their European counterparts!

The Brazillians to be fair to them aren't too great with their hookers and coke.

First of all I think Argentina and Brazil produce talents like this more frequently, so even some of them fall away through poor work ethics or off the field issues more of them make it to the top.

Secondly I think Messi has been helped a lot by being in the Barca system all of his career who generally seems to produce footballers who are more down to earth compared to most clubs in the world.

It's not just British players. Socrates and Garrincha are up there with the greats, yet both were alcoholics.

Without the slightest hint of doubt the best footballer the world has ever seen to date. Saw his five goals yesterday, every single one pretty damn sublime. Absolutely in awe over this guy - seems like such a genuinely nice and professional guy as well.

messi is the best player of the modern era (last 20 years)

that includes Zidane, Real Ronaldo and Maldini

the man is out of this world

Don't like bringing up this old chestnut but defenders nowadays could be deemed harder to play against due to the fact that they are fitter and play at a much faster pace nowadays to the ones who did back then. Sure you had players ripping apart the likes of Best, Pele, Maradona with vicious tackles but that's not football is it really

Don't like bringing up this old chestnut but defenders nowadays could be deemed harder to play against due to the fact that they are fitter and play at a much faster pace nowadays to the ones who did back then. Sure you had players ripping apart the likes of Best, Pele, Maradona with vicious tackles but that's not football is it really

:| But surely it's all relative.

Defenders are more athletic, but so are the forwards.

Back