• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

'Lightweight' Luka

AuroRaman

Chris Armstrong
I know we have a Spanish Football thread, but I feel our former little magician deserves a thread of his own, as young Gareth already has one. This isn't necessarily a 'what-might-have-been' thread, I am proud that players such as himself and Gareth have worn our shirt and have produced some truly world-class performances in our colours.

I hope now other fans realise just how good he is, used to hear so many opposing fans (and plenty on here too) say that he was overrated, too lightweight and didn't produce enough goals/assists.

What a player. Just a sublime footballer =D>

[video=youtube;YqMbChAxjQI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqMbChAxjQI[/video]

[video=youtube;S7iF0thY7r4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7iF0thY7r4[/video]

[video=youtube;vbQ-AlhWjf8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbQ-AlhWjf8[/video]

I don't remember reading anyone say he was overrated on here. In fact he was a player that all pretty much agreed was world class.

I'm sure I did in the past, when I was more of a lurker than a poster :-k

Perhaps I'm tarring us lot with an unfair brush because of other forums!

Probably the best midfielder I have seen in my lifetime at Spurs. Either him or Michael Brown.

Crazy to think the Madrid fans wanted rid of him a year ago

I don't remember reading anyone say he was overrated on here. In fact he was a player that all pretty much agreed was world class.

I was involved in some rather long winded discussions with people claiming that he was overrated (essentially because he didn't get enough goals or assists).

I was involved in some rather long winded discussions with people claiming that he was overrated (essentially because he didn't get enough goals or assists).

Fair enough. I always thought he was world class BUT i did feel the role he plays (deep lying playmaker) was overrated and not essential in this league.

not lightweight at all, just not enough goals and assists

It's depressing to think that only a couple of years ago we had two players in our team that are now integral cogs at arguably the best side in Europe at the moment. If we do not dramatically improve next season then we'll very likely be seeing similar threads crop up on here for the likes of Vertonghen, Lloris and Eriksen.

It's depressing to think that only a couple of years ago we had two players in our team that are now integral cogs at arguably the best side in Europe at the moment. If we do not dramatically improve next season then we'll very likely be seeing similar threads crop up on here for the likes of Vertonghen, Lloris and Eriksen.

we just have to accept and be thankful that these great players have played/are playing for us and are simply passing through WHL on their way to bigger and better things.....until we have a new stadium nothing will change so lets enjoy them while they are here

Fair enough. I always thought he was world class BUT i did feel the role he plays (deep lying playmaker) was overrated and not essential in this league.

We've spent around £45 million on Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue since Modric left. We're without a deep lying playmaker and we look significantly worse in midfield.

It might not be essential to have a deep lying playmaker in this or any league, but having one can clearly be super helpful. Similarly it might not be essential to have a target man striker, quick strikers, full backs that can cross, defensive midfielders, sweeper keepers etc. Doesn't make any of those roles overrated though I would think.

not lightweight at all, just not enough goals and assists

Yeah, 1 goal and 6 assists in La Liga so far. Playing next to another midfielder in Alonso that has picked up no goals and 1 assist in the league so far. Clearly they must be regretting not going for someone with higher stats on goalscoring and assists.

Paulinho scores a few, maybe they'll be interested in a swap?

I wonder when people will start complaining about Sandro not scoring enough goals?

Probably the best midfielder I have seen in my lifetime at Spurs. Either him or Michael Brown.

Crazy to think the Madrid fans wanted rid of him a year ago

Bit out of order. Clearly you weren't around for the epic Dean Marney years.

We've spent around £45 million on Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue since Modric left. We're without a deep lying playmaker and we look significantly worse in midfield.

It might not be essential to have a deep lying playmaker in this or any league, but having one can clearly be super helpful. Similarly it might not be essential to have a target man striker, quick strikers, full backs that can cross, defensive midfielders, sweeper keepers etc. Doesn't make any of those roles overrated though I would think.

Yeah, 1 goal and 6 assists in La Liga so far. Playing next to another midfielder in Alonso that has picked up no goals and 1 assist in the league so far. Clearly they must be regretting not going for someone with higher stats on goalscoring and assists.

Paulinho scores a few, maybe they'll be interested in a swap?

I wonder when people will start complaining about Sandro not scoring enough goals?

i love the guy and how graceful and effective he is on the pitch, i just think with his talent he could score a few more goals and play some more killer final passes. Im sure he himself feels he could improve as a player. Top players always want to be better and better. Thats what marks them out from the rest

By the way the first of those compilations was great. So often compilations of players like Modric is all about the rare times they do get goals and assists (a bit like the second two vids). But this one instead highlighted all wonderful stuff he contributes in buildup play.

Have our wingers and full backs seen the play switch to them with that quality as many times as that in total from all our players our entire season this time around as Modric did just in that one video?

i love the guy and how graceful and effective he is on the pitch, i just think with his talent he could score a few more goals and play some more killer final passes. Im sure he himself feels he could improve as a player. Top players always want to be better and better. Thats what marks them out from the rest

Obviously, and going by reports at the time he did just that. Worked his socks off on and off the pitch to get better.

And better he got, fantastic player. But playing in his position trying to get better at scoring and assisting is just a very small fraction of all the work he surely must have done to get better. Of course if he was a glory hunter that's probably what he would have focused on, shoot shoot shoot. Just like that's what you focus on. I don't think that's been his focus, or the focus of Real Madrid.

And that's why last night he could stand on a pitch with midfielders like Alonso, Isco, Di Maria on his side and Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Lahm and Martinez and be the best midfielder on the pitch - by some margin I would say. Despite not having a single shot on or off target.

His movement, his first touch, his turns, his dummies, shimmies, faints, short passing, mid range passing, quick passing, flicks. All that is partly a result of his drive to constantly get better. Obviously. And he bested some of the best around at that.

But then, despite him playing in a position where few players score many goals people somehow ask of him "why don't you practice shooting more?" As if that's the most important thing for a player in his role.

Obviously, and going by reports at the time he did just that. Worked his socks off on and off the pitch to get better.

And better he got, fantastic player. But playing in his position trying to get better at scoring and assisting is just a very small fraction of all the work he surely must have done to get better. Of course if he was a glory hunter that's probably what he would have focused on, shoot shoot shoot. Just like that's what you focus on. I don't think that's been his focus, or the focus of Real Madrid.

And that's why last night he could stand on a pitch with midfielders like Alonso, Isco, Di Maria on his side and Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Lahm and Martinez and be the best midfielder on the pitch - by some margin I would say. Despite not having a single shot on or off target.

His movement, his first touch, his turns, his dummies, shimmies, faints, short passing, mid range passing, quick passing, flicks. All that is partly a result of his drive to constantly get better. Obviously. And he bested some of the best around at that.

But then, despite him playing in a position where few players score many goals people somehow ask of him "why don't you practice shooting more?" As if that's the most important thing for a player in his role.

This is a good post.

When he was here this point was raised and someone (I forget who, but if anyone recalls please let me know) made a great point. Modric isn't the person who makes the assist, or scores the goal. He's the person who begins the play, passes to the winger to cross in etc. He is the basis of attack, the fulcrum. Arguably the hardest player to stop on the pitch. Statistically maybe not that impressive, but i'm always more impressed by what I see than by what I read about a player.

Back