• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Let's make levy sweat

Completely agree. Just had a my first, a little boy and normally I think I’d be covering him in Spurs clothing and other memorabilia and just can’t be bothered to atm.
Congratulations mate. My daughter really got interested in Spurs the year we got to the Champs league final. She can't be bothered ATM.

The evidence he had on hand at the time was that Mourinho was on a downward trend career wise. His stints at Real Madrid and Chelsea and finally United showed Derp He also had never worked in our circumstances so there was little to suggest he would be able to adapt adequately.

I love how Levy has cultivated this shield of the Teflon Don. Nothing is ever his fault, he can never be held accountable, theres always some unforseen force at work that unfairly hampers his work. Yet he is "the best chairman in the game" :expressionless:

No there's nothing unforeseen at work here. Levy took a risk and failed with it. That bit is undeniable. But do we hang him for that or accept that doing his job, you will make bad decisions now and again? He's not absolved of responsibility for the appointment, he made it. He owns it. I just don't think it's a hanging offence. Yes, Jose had struggled in his last few jobs. But you mention Real Madrid and Chelsea. He won the league with both. With United he won two trophies and finished second even though that wasn't a successful stint. That's what we wanted, someone to get us over the line in a final, someone to get us in the top 4. If he could do that with what most people, him included, believed was a worse set of players at United than he inherited here, it's reasonable to expect that he'd at least do likewise here. There was risk associated with Jose, we all saw it at the time. I'm sure Levy did too. But he felt it was a risk worth taking. Personally, I was seduced a bit by his CV even though I thought we were a bad fit. Levy took a shot and he failed. It's not the first time. Hopefully, he gets the next one right.

Levy cannot go completely without blame though mate. I love the guy, but his managerial appointments always seem to go for an obvious option even when they don’t appear to be the best fit, which Mourinho falls into here. I fell a little bit for Jose because well he is Jose Mourinho and I was gutted after Poch left, but there were plenty of fans on here warning about his recent history with Utd and Chelsea and his MO. If they could see it why couldn’t one of the most astute chairman in the game? He did the same with AVB despite how he failed at Chelsea. Again I love Levy but he is very much accountable for this debacle and really needs a good next appointment. You can say a lot about the way Chelsea are run but they mostly seem to achieve success whoever is in charge. We are the total opposite.

Again, it's a fair argument. My only point is that I don't believe in hanging someone for a bad decision when I can see the reason that they made it. It was a risk. It's backfiring. There was a very strong argument for not hiring him, which I actually subscribed to, but there was also a strong argument for hiring him. Levy took the risk and failed. The important thing for me now, in terms of judging him as a chairman, is whether he's tied himself into a maximum payout and what he does next. If he keeps Jose then Levy goes down in my estimation. If he hasn't insulated us financially in some way from the usual Mourinho meltdown then he hasn't done his job very well and that would be a more valid stick to beat him with than making the appointment in the first place.

No there's nothing unforeseen at work here. Levy took a risk and failed with it. That bit is undeniable. But do we hang him for that or accept that doing his job, you will make bad decisions now and again? He's not absolved of responsibility for the appointment, he made it. He owns it. I just don't think it's a hanging offence. Yes, Jose had struggled in his last few jobs. But you mention Real Madrid and Chelsea. He won the league with both. With United he won two trophies and finished second even though that wasn't a successful stint. That's what we wanted, someone to get us over the line in a final, someone to get us in the top 4. If he could do that with what most people, him included, believed was a worse set of players at United than he inherited here, it's reasonable to expect that he'd at least do likewise here. There was risk associated with Jose, we all saw it at the time. I'm sure Levy did too. But he felt it was a risk worth taking. Personally, I was seduced a bit by his CV even though I thought we were a bad fit. Levy took a shot and he failed. It's not the first time. Hopefully, he gets the next one right.

Again, it's a fair argument. My only point is that I don't believe in hanging someone for a bad decision when I can see the reason that they made it. It was a risk. It's backfiring. There was a very strong argument for not hiring him, which I actually subscribed to, but there was also a strong argument for hiring him. Levy took the risk and failed. The important thing for me now, in terms of judging him as a chairman, is whether he's tied himself into a maximum payout and what he does next. If he keeps Jose then Levy goes down in my estimation. If he hasn't insulated us financially in some way from the usual Mourinho meltdown then he hasn't done his job very well and that would be a more valid stick to beat him with than making the appointment in the first place.

The key to allowing Levy the room to make mistakes is if he acts to rectify them soon enough - make that change at the end of the season and appoint someone that has obviously been scouted out over the last couple of months then you can say fair enough, mistake was made - it happens let's not dwell on it.

Otherwise you have to question what his thought process is.

Ok, two ways.
latest

The key to allowing Levy the room to make mistakes is if he acts to rectify them soon enough - make that change at the end of the season and appoint someone that has obviously been scouted out over the last couple of months then you can say fair enough, mistake was made - it happens let's not dwell on it.

Otherwise you have to question what his thought process is.

Surely we have to assume that when he was appointed, Levy had a plan for if things went tits up. He had a very recent showing of it at Utd so surely he didn’t want to pay for 3.5 years of that. That’s why I can’t buy into the all the “too expensive to sack” etc. There’s always an exit strategy.

Edit: And in terms of assessing a worst case scenario. I’d say we are very very close. Aside of a 3 game run in the Carabao and a small lead over Arsenal (Achievement!?) we are literally bottom rung of every conceivable measure.

I had some sympathy last season with the injuries to Kane and Son and and the Eriksen situ but this time round it pretty much rests with him.

Last edited:
Levy cannot go completely without blame though mate. I love the guy, but his managerial appointments always seem to go for an obvious option even when they don’t appear to be the best fit, which Mourinho falls into here. I fell a little bit for Jose because well he is Jose Mourinho and I was gutted after Poch left, but there were plenty of fans on here warning about his recent history with Utd and Chelsea and his MO. If they could see it why couldn’t one of the most astute chairman in the game? He did the same with AVB despite how he failed at Chelsea. Again I love Levy but he is very much accountable for this debacle and really needs a good next appointment. You can say a lot about the way Chelsea are run but they mostly seem to achieve success whoever is in charge. We are the total opposite.

Chelsea are a funny one, fire managers constantly yet always seem to be up there challenging, getting to semi finals and finals as well as winning quite a few cups. Obviously helps they have money to do so and sign big players but since Jose was first there the will to win and hunger seems to have stayed with them and more often than not they pull things out of the bag.

Still early days but Tuchel looks like an outstanding manager.

Chelsea are a funny one, fire managers constantly yet always seem to be up there challenging, getting to semi finals and finals as well as winning quite a few cups. Obviously helps they have money to do so and sign big players but since Jose was first there the will to win and hunger seems to have stayed with them and more often than not they pull things out of the bag.

Still early days but Tuchel looks like an outstanding manager.
Money!

It feels like the spend more on teabags than we do on players.

Back