• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Les Ferdinand striker coach

I'm getting bored of looking at that Clint avatar of yours. I think that you need a change. Would you like me to sort it out for you? ;)

Behave yourself im not having his face on my screen, i give you permission to change it to stevie perryman if you wish. Sir les indeed:rolleyes:

So what does Ferdinand do under the new Sherwood regime ?

Scary to think that he is helping our coach considering his extreme views of the modern game, especially as we got trashed by Emirates Marketing Project (earlier in the season) and he is rubbishing the likes of claude makelele and yaya toure who were seriously good at their roles and supporting their clubs wins in a big way that was obvious to see for all.

Tottenham coach Les Ferdinand claims ‘Claude Makelele is the worst thing that happened to the Premier League’
http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/28/totte...ding-midfielders-are-a-waste-of-time-4280699/

Spurs boss Tim Sherwood has chosen to play without a designated defensive midfielder of late and it’s paid off with victories in his last two top flight outings against Crystal Palace and Swansea – where the Lillywhites have scored five goals, while only conceding one.

Former Spurs and England striker Ferdinand insists it’s a policy he, Sherwood and fellow coach Chris Ramsey are all agreed on.

‘I know there’s a lot of talk about holding midfield players, and I’m always arguing with Tim and Chris about this and they agree,’ Ferdinand told the Tottenham Journal.

‘I don’t like holding midfield players, I like players to understand that if one goes forward, the other one tucks in for them. I don’t want someone who just sits in front of the back four and doesn’t go anywhere, but that’s just my own personal view.

‘I was saying to William Gallas when he was here, the worst thing that happened in this league was Claude Makelele.

‘When he came into this country he wasn’t a holding midfield player. He was a player who had the intelligence to say “Frank [Lampard], you can score more goals than me so if you go I’m going to tuck in here for you, and I’ll hold. You keep going forward”.

‘Then everyone went “right, we’ve got to have a holding midfield player” – and what we’ve done is produce a crop of players who don’t want to go over the halfway line, who don’t want to pass over the halfway line and are happy to just sit in front of the back four.’

Spurs play host to free-scoring Emirates Marketing Project tomorrow night and Ferdinand said: ‘Do Emirates Marketing Project play with one [ a holding midfielder]? They’ve still scored 100-odd goals.

‘People say Yaya Toure is a holding midfielder. No he isn’t, he’s getting forward and getting goals – but if someone else goes he’ll stay in there.

‘Fernandinho’s scoring goals. Why? Because he’s a holding player? No. They’ve just got an understanding, “If he goes, he’ll hold, and if I go he’ll hold”.’

Last edited:
I don't think that he is rubbishing Claude Makelele and Yaya Toure, quite the opposite in fact.

I actually agree wholeheartedly with Sir Les if he is saying a midfielder should be able to go forwards as well as defend. Although there's no harm in playing three of them that can do that in the middle, depending on the game. I don''t want Sherwood to become just as fixated on 4-4-2 as AVB was on 4-2-3-1..it is all about flexibility and tactics according to circumstances, (so long as players play in their positions and know what they are meant to be doing).

As for striker coach - I can't really imagine Sir Les sitting down with Soldado and explaining how he used to bang em in the old days. Or Ade. It wouldn't be the same as having Klinsmann or Lineker, or Van Basten from that generation as striker coach, perhaps. Not that I've got anything against Sir Les, I'm sure he is a top bloke.

Amazing that he's managed to make near enough every striker go backwards (or just remain as is) since he's been striker coach. You have to wonder what he actually does.

Amazing that he's managed to make near enough every striker go backwards (or just remain as is) since he's been striker coach. You have to wonder what he actually does.

i think a lot of what strikers do is instinctive. Sure there are all the little tricks of the trade, and the positional stuff, that you can talk about. And there is a lot of repetitive technique stuff, which is just about practising over and over and over again situations that might come up in the game. But once the striker coach has imparted his wisdom in the first few sessions, then i would have thought pretty much anyone could supervise the repetitive practice sessions.

And the game has changed a lot since Sir Les was a striker, so I'm not sure how valuable his experience would be anyway.

He only became a first team coach in December before that he was working with the development squad.

What a old of bull****. It's the same bull**** which has made us look incredibly vulnerable in EVERY GAME because we don't have a DM

So if they don't need one then do they plan to sell Sandro or adapt his play. In my view he's our best player and is never going to be a great box to box player though he does have a good engine on him and does get forward well even overlapping into the box at times but he has an awful shot and final pass in that area bar the occasional screamer.

just saw him on TV as a pundit yesterady for the hull v pool game. about 24 h earlier he was at the spurs dugout at Hull.
so i assume he is still just part time coach ?

and also whats happened to freund?

just saw him on TV as a pundit yesterady for the hull v pool game. about 24 h earlier he was at the spurs dugout at Hull.
so i assume he is still just part time coach ?

and also whats happened to freund?

Freund is still there and meant to be very involved.

Milo just speaking all kinds of sense as per usual...

I like the comments from Sherwood. Top teams rarely rely on out and out, dedicated defensive midfielders. You need midfielders who are two way players, capable of taking part in buildup play.

Ferdinand was a striker coach under Harry. I seem to remember a season where JD and Crouchy were absolutely flatter than pancakes and nothing could seemingly be done to get them finding the net. Sir Les has not done our strikers much good in recent times.

I quite like Ferdinand. In contrast to Timmeh he always comes across as a decent bloke and a proper yid.

But I've never heard anything come from his mouth that gives me any confidence in his ability as a coach whatsoever. He's a typical cliche filled ex-pro pundit whose reflections sometimes are truly baffling (and not because of their complexity). He just reminds me of Dion Dublin, Martin Keown and the rest.

Back