• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Legend

Lilbaz

Tom Huddlestone
Noticed a couple of times the last week, people talking of players past and present as legends.

Obviously this is open for interpretation and is subjective (no right or wrong answers).

For me a legend is a player that future generations that never saw them play will know about. For whatever reason. A moment of brilliance, or season. Truly class. Or servitude.

Like to hear your thoughts.

Is clive allen more a legend than lineker? Ginola or white? Gilzean or sheringham?

Rocket ronnie might be a legend to a certain generation, but not the next.

Good topic.

Lineker is a really interesting one. He was one of my heroes growing up and got me into Spurs, yet he’s barely mentioned on here as far as I can see. Here roughly the same length of time as Gazza, arguably achieved more, yet less revered. Is it because of his obviously pro Leicester stance?

Last edited:
Good topic indeed. Peoples' use of the word Legend will obviously be different.

They had similar discussion on TalkSport quite a few months back where they were differentiating between who is a Legend, an Icon or just a Great at their Club.

As mentioned, everybodys take on it will be different and as Lilbaz rightly says I agree there is no right or wrong answer

My personal take:
Legends - (One Club/Longevity Servants) Steve Perryman, Ledley King, Cliff Jones, Gary Mabbutt, Glenn Hoddle, Jimmy Greaves, Pat Jennings

Icons- (Players who provided great moments that live forever/created history) Gazza, Ginola, Ardiles, Villa, Bale - to name a few

Greats (Consistently top players over their Spurs career) Sheringham, Van der Vaart, Lineker, Clive Allen, Roberts, Chivers - to name a few

In the current squad, I would say Kane is the Great bracket with potential to become a legend, Lloris too. Son (for me) along Moura are in the Icon bracket for their recent expolits.

Great topic! And Paxtonwolf has provided a great list for us! (Though where is Danny Blanchflower for heavens sake…!)

Lineker, for me, is an England legend who also played for Spurs whereas Gazza is an icon courtesy of pretty much propelling us to the 91 cup final including obviously THAT free kick. Similarly, Moura is always going to be remembered as an icon at spurs even though there are plenty of better players who have worn the shirt who are not icons. If that makes sense?!

Good topic indeed. Peoples' use of the word Legend will obviously be different.

They had similar discussion on TalkSport quite a few months back where they were differentiating between who is a Legend, an Icon or just a Great at their Club.

As mentioned, everybodys take on it will be different and as Lilbaz rightly says I agree there is no right or wrong answer

My personal take:
Legends - (One Club/Longevity Servants) Steve Perryman, Ledley King, Cliff Jones, Gary Mabbutt, Glenn Hoddle, Jimmy Greaves, Pat Jennings

Icons- (Players who provided great moments that live forever/created history) Gazza, Ginola, Ardiles, Villa, Bale - to name a few

Greats (Consistently top players over their Spurs career) Sheringham, Van der Vaart, Lineker, Clive Allen, Roberts, Chivers - to name a few

In the current squad, I would say Kane is the Great bracket with potential to become a legend, Lloris too. Son (for me) along Moura are in the Icon bracket for their recent expolits.
I think that’a a good breakdown myself

I once passed Cliff Jones and Bobby Smith as they walked into WHL. Nodded to them, they smiled and nodded back. Made my day.

Cliff has been mentioned already, so I'd like to add Bobby Smith. Double winner, third all time goal scorer, including goals in two FA Cup Finals.

Great topic! And Paxtonwolf has provided a great list for us! (Though where is Danny Blanchflower for heavens sake…!)

Lineker, for me, is an England legend who also played for Spurs whereas Gazza is an icon courtesy of pretty much propelling us to the 91 cup final including obviously THAT free kick. Similarly, Moura is always going to be remembered as an icon at spurs even though there are plenty of better players who have worn the shirt who are not icons. If that makes sense?!
And no mention of Dave Mackay either...

Only found out the other day, jennings was only one of 2 keepers to ever win player of the season. Dunno who the other one was.

Edit - peter shilton was the other.

Last edited:
Everyone should put their age when posting in here, as that defines who you will consider a legend.

Where is the ginger Pele for instance?

(I'm 43)

Perryman, Clive Allen, Hoddle, King, Gascoigne, Villas, Klinnsman

near legend - Bale, VdV

future legend - Kane, Loris

* Legends = unforgettable memories

In my defence, I was only listing a few off the top of my head. Not for one moment am I suggesting there are only 7 legends in my mind. That was just a few names to list as examples for each group.
We have well over 100 years of history, and there will plenty more over those decades that warrant the 'Legend' tag and indeed the 'Icon' and 'Greats' tag

Back