• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

Crazy to give him a two years contract with his fitness issues,
he'll have to choose between a pay as you play contract or a 1+1 contract.
Our success isn't a given, we need to spend our money well.
It's not like we just decide to give Glenn Hoddle ?ú6m because he's a club legend.
One have to contribute to get paid and two years is a big risk when it comes to King.

Depends on what kind of wages he wants. Not sure if he will expect to be among our top earners despite his injury problems. Might be that he will accept lower wages if given a 2 year contract.

Either way, for me King is very important to the club. I'm hoping that we keep him on as a player and that we get him some kind of coaching job after his playing career is done if Harry or the manager at the time feels he's ready for it.

They should give him another two years. He's obviously lost some of his pace, but he makes up for that with intelligence and great positioning. The other centre halves except maybe Gallas can only improve by playing alongside him.

I'll be so gutted when King does eventually retire. He'd be in my all time top 5 Spurs players, maybe top 3.

I think we have stood by him for a long time, considering his injury problems. He should sign a pay as you play deal if it's offered. It should also recognise how good he is and be big enough when he can play, and bonuses for 10/15/20 matches etc.

Playing or not, he surely should be taken in the Spurs coaching system? When were the last time we had a defender with his footballing intelligence and reading of the game? As a player he is probably shot unfortunately, you can clearly see him struggling through pain I can't believe he would endure if he had an additional two year contract running. If there is a serious health risk involved, by crippling him for life to gain a player's contract, it would be much better in my view to hook him up with working with younger players with more potential for the future to come. He must have so much to give and share, other than only as a player. We also need to get our defensive structure and partnership set more tightly, experience playing together can weigh up for individual lack of skill in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love the King and would love to see him play for two more years, but sometimes health comes first and as a couch he would be welcome to stay for life in my book.

This all the way. He's the only player in my Spurs supporting years who has been ever-present at the club. He's the best player I've seen play for us hands down, and he deserves to have some loyalty shown by the club. Sod intelligent business decisions, there are some things that go beyond such a viewpoint and Ledley King is one of them.

=D>

A genuine Spurs legend.

For years he has, when "fit", oozed calmness and authority at the back. Our win record with him playing, compared to playing without him in the team is remarkable. When I see his name on the teamsheet I always breathe a small sigh of relief.

Recently, though, he has lost his aura of unflappability, and a fair bit of pace too. Has his knee problem finally reduced his effectiveness to the point when he can no longer be considered a certain starter, even when "fit"?

Must we now face up to the prospect of life after Ledley? :frown:

I think we have to lay the King to rest, i'm certain this is his last season, what a honour to have a player like i'm at our club. =D>

It was always going to happen, but I don't think it's happened yet. He did nothing wrong yesterday, and can't be blamed for any of the goals. He has possibly lost a yard of pace, but is still probably the quickest defender around. He looked calm and composed yesterday, it was our midfield that badly let us down.

It will inevitably catch up with you when you cannot train properly. This was my point when we discussed a contract extension. Yes by all means but not at the expense of signing a permanent replacement. His knee will only get worse and he will only get older too (which will affect him as an athlete). Not a knee-jerk (inevitable pun) but a facct I reckon. I said two seasons ago that we needed to look to make the CB partnership a lot more settled (admiteddly it was also to give Gomes some confidence and stability).

A genuine Spurs legend.

He is

For years he has, when "fit", oozed calmness and authority at the back. Our win record with him playing, compared to playing without him in the team is remarkable. When I see his name on the teamsheet I always breathe a small sigh of relief.

Recently, though, he has lost his aura of unflappability, and a fair bit of pace too. Has his knee problem finally reduced his effectiveness to the point when he can no longer be considered a certain starter, even when "fit"?

I think it has

Must we now face up to the prospect of life after Ledley? :frown:

From Aug 2012 I think we have to.

Give the guy a place on the coaching staff, I would hate to see his knees go any worse

I think he's had enough good games this season to warrant a pay-as-you-play deal for another year, but he has also shown signs that he is losing it. Yesterday was sad to watch - he couldn't keep up with the game at all. These are the kinds of games where he would normally be our best player, but yesterday he was as bad as the rest of the team.

King is certainly not as consistently good as he used to be. He'll always be a legend - I just hope he himself realise when it is time to retire. I'd hate to see him playing as a shadow of his former self.

Not sure what Ledley's knee condition is exactly but it does sound very similar to the one I have. I had to officially give up playing when I was 30. My doctor told me that I was wrecking my knee with all the pressure of running and jumping and I would end up in a wheelchair if I kept going. Having small children at the time was enough to make me stop. Maybe if I had all the medical and training support that Ledley gets then I might have extended my playing time a bit longer.
Ledley is at about the age when I noticed the knee effecting my play.

Not sure what Ledley's knee condition is exactly but it does sound very similar to the one I have. I had to officially give up playing when I was 30. My doctor told me that I was wrecking my knee with all the pressure of running and jumping and I would end up in a wheelchair if I kept going. Having small children at the time was enough to make me stop. Maybe if I had all the medical and training support that Ledley gets then I might have extended my playing time a bit longer.
Ledley is at about the age when I noticed the knee effecting my play.

That is exactly what I would hate to see happen to Ledley, or anybody for that matter

King might be useful against slow teams (e.g. chelbrick, manC) but against quick ones (e.g. manU, arsenal) he won't be able to do much..the pace is too much for his knees.
But he still can do a job with the team for sure....

:rolleyes:

He has been very good this season for the most part I think this is a bit knee jerk. Granted yesterday was probably his poorest match in a Spurs shirt but lets not just send him to the glue factory just yet

He did nothing wrong yesterday, and can't be blamed for any of the goals. He has possibly lost a yard of pace, but is still probably the quickest defender around. He looked calm and composed yesterday, it was our midfield that badly let us down.

I disagree.

Collectively as a defense the team was shocking and King contributed to that by bad decision making in Rosiky and Walcott's first goals, so to say he did nothing wrong and can't be blamed for any of the goals is a case of rose tinted glasses. King is a legend no doubt, but just as much as everyone else yesterday he had a stinker. It was his lack of mobility that stood out especially in the second half, where the King of old would have been able to better position himself and keep ahead of the play.

Ledley King has been magnificent this season on the whole. His positional play has been excellent. Yesterday we were a mess all over the place. How often Theo was given a clear run at him was silly.

Only when he says he's had enough will I say I don't want him in the side. We just had too many off performances from all over the field to make any realistic decisions.

Back