• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Laptop help (and self esteem destruction)

Weird, not what I associate with Cupertino. I’m particularly irked that my iPad mini 4 is going to be obsoleted by iOS 14. That’s just over two years old.
iPads / iOS is brick, agreed.
This gets better with age. Every new OS makes it run slicker and faster. Best investment I’ve ever made to be fair.

iPads / iOS is brick, agreed.
This gets better with age. Every new OS makes it run slicker and faster. Best investment I’ve ever made to be fair.
I'll never buy an apple product again. I was talked into buying a mac laptop for doing DJ'ing and music production, as I was told it was so stable and free of issues. I've never had a product, neither before nor after, that has been anywhere close to being as infected with brick and faults! Literally everything that can be broken on a laptop, broke on that one. First the RAM failed. Replaced. Then the keyboard. Replaced. Then the network controller. Replaced. Then warranty was over. Then the screen said goodbye. Had a friend who runs a repair shop, and he had accouple of same laptops which had other faults, so he replaced the screen, and a few months later it completly died. Would not start up at all. Apple refused any compensation because I had changed the screen myself (my friend is an authorised apple repair shop), instead of sending it through the proper channels and paying almost the same as the cost of the computer to get it fixed.
Never ever again!

I'll never buy an apple product again. I was talked into buying a mac laptop for doing DJ'ing and music production, as I was told it was so stable and free of issues. I've never had a product, neither before nor after, that has been anywhere close to being as infected with brick and faults! Literally everything that can be broken on a laptop, broke on that one. First the RAM failed. Replaced. Then the keyboard. Replaced. Then the network controller. Replaced. Then warranty was over. Then the screen said goodbye. Had a friend who runs a repair shop, and he had accouple of same laptops which had other faults, so he replaced the screen, and a few months later it completly died. Would not start up at all. Apple refused any compensation because I had changed the screen myself (my friend is an authorised apple repair shop), instead of sending it through the proper channels and paying almost the same as the cost of the computer to get it fixed.
Never ever again!
8 years plus of operational bliss for me.

You also had issues with the AirPods didn’t you?

Im starting to suspect where the single point of failure might actually be.... :D

8 years plus of operational bliss for me.

You also had issues with the AirPods didn’t you?

Im starting to suspect where the single point of failure might actually be.... :D
No issues with airpods. They just sound horrible. For both the user and all the unfortunate people in the immediate proximity.

Spoke to HP and Lenovo today and UK laptop stocks have been decimated.

Also spoke to the DPD courier chap, and while last week was manic for him - delivering chairs monitors etc - more than Christmas he said, today was quite quiet. So laptop pricing might improve in a week or two as more stock lands.

However, found this one for Bazza - which to me looks pretty decent. Not that cheap but in the market today, it is good value:https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/len...ch-windows-10-home-lap-81ax012suk/version.asp

Has a 2GB graphics card, a fast 8th generation i7. While it won't have the cooling tech of gaming laptops, its a happy medium that will run games smoothly with the dedicated 2GB of RAM. Didn't look at any reviews of it - would suggest that before purchasing. But it looks like a decent option.

What are the best brands nowadays? Are there some that are clearly better than others? Any brands you should always avoid?

What are the best brands nowadays? Are there some that are clearly better than others? Any brands you should always avoid?
I always stick with Lenovo as their keyboards tend to be better.

As always, stay away from budget lines of CPU

Although Medion is I think owned by Lenovo, I would stay clear personally. They frequently break.

HP and Lenovo are decent solid options.

Asus and Huawei, for me, are making the nicest PC laptops. Leight weight, small bezel screens, and relatively attractive design aesthetics.

We have lenovo for work and I quite like the look and feel of it
Is this one any good ???

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/len...fhd-geforce-mx-110-win-81ye009buk/version.asp

Has a graphics card, so can use it for games. It's quite expensive. Can buy similar new machines for not much more. If not playing games, then you could save a couple of hundred quid on a unit without a dedicated graphics card. If you want to play games, Dell have a very good value unit, cheaper than this graded machine, new with a fast AMD processor (can track it down if of interest).

Edit can't find the Dell G5 SE for sale anywhere but found this, its not a gaming machine: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...d-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10190038-pdt.html

This is a well made nice looking machine for the money
A few decent Asus options about for example https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asu...h-windows-10-laptop-m509da-ej034t/version.asp

Last edited:
Also spoke to the DPD courier chap, and while last week was manic for him - delivering chairs monitors etc - more than Christmas he said, today was quite quiet. So laptop pricing might improve in a week or two as more stock lands.
]

Straight from the horses mouth

Glad this has been bumped of late.

Like @Jon (although a little bit more retro) I've been using a macbook pro 2009 with very little issues (it has it's quirks now but everything is workable including trackpad + keyboard).

Just today, the platform for my teaching company has been updated and sadly has outgrown my laptop's capabilities OS wise, it needs Sierra or above and I can only run up to El Capitan. Some could say I'm indoctrinated but 11 years of solid service speaks for itself so I'm looking to go down this route again. Can see refurb models being mentioned above, could anyone please let me know what the best outlets are? Speaking to a mate today he said his missus got a macbook air from PC world, I legit didn't know they sold them there considering the name of the shop, any advice on where to look (and where's gonna be reliable) would be really appreciated. I'm not against buying one new if it's going to last me another sizeable chunk of my life.

Glad this has been bumped of late.

Like @Jon (although a little bit more retro) I've been using a macbook pro 2009 with very little issues (it has it's quirks now but everything is workable including trackpad + keyboard).

Just today, the platform for my teaching company has been updated and sadly has outgrown my laptop's capabilities OS wise, it needs Sierra or above and I can only run up to El Capitan. Some could say I'm indoctrinated but 11 years of solid service speaks for itself so I'm looking to go down this route again. Can see refurb models being mentioned above, could anyone please let me know what the best outlets are? Speaking to a mate today he said his missus got a macbook air from PC world, I legit didn't know they sold them there considering the name of the shop, any advice on where to look (and where's gonna be reliable) would be really appreciated. I'm not against buying one new if it's going to last me another sizeable chunk of my life.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished

Back