• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Laptop help (and self esteem destruction)

monkeybarry

Ian Walker
Ok. This is very embarrassed post - and possibly a warning from the future.

I used to pretty much know my way around computer spec. Apparently now I don't know my arse from my isolation.
I have not brought a laptop in about 13 years, but decided it's probably the time to immerse myself back into football manager if we're going to be stuck inside for a long time - Chelmsford aren't going to win the CVD-19 cup without me.

FM required spec has come a long way since FM05.
Since when did 64-bit become the standard?!

FM
Specs are;
OS
Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (Update 1803/April 2018 or later) – 64-bit

PROCESSOR
Intel Pentium 4 (64-bit), Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 2.2 GHz +

MEMORY
2 GB RAM

GRAPHICS
Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM

I have found these three laptops, which to my now amateurish knowledge, should be sufficient.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...md-athlon-128-gb-ssd-silver-10194136-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...tium-gold-128-gb-ssd-silver-10203711-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...re-i3-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10194137-pdt.html

A Google seems to suggest Windows 10 S can be easily turned off to be just Windows 10 (what a dumb idea S is).

Not sure how to work out if its 32/64 bit other than looking at the box?

Any thoughts from those of you who still understand this sizzle?
Any glaring errors on my part? (With the obvious exception of opened myself up to the FM rabbit hole)

It will be 64 bit - I don't think you can even buy 32 now.

Other than that, same CPU rules apply that always have - avoid Intel's budget range like the plague and go for the i3/5/7 range.

How do you go 13 years without buying a laptop? Even with a five year replacement cycle, even with only one laptop per person (which is insufficient, you need a high power desktop equivalent and a lightweight gubbins for meetings), even without buying them for wives and children, even with a devotion to tower systems that persisted beyond 2010, that’s not possible.

Did you steal your last few?

A dedicated graphics card is what you want. Ideally at least 8gb of RAM too.

Not a great time to buy a laptop with everyone buying to work from home and supply disruption from China lockdown.

The machines you found look excellent,nice models and value for money. Perfect for day to day but not setup for gaming. Investing a little more will make the machine run smoother and not overhead as much. Will have a look for what I’d go for...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

https://www.box.co.uk/FX505DY-BQ001T-ASUS-TUF-FX505DY-BQ001T_2440063.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...core-i5-gtx-1050-256-gb-ssd-10194184-pdt.html

No dedicated graphics card but a nice very light machine. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/708...vA1BcjFme1iykz_9VmkaAtH1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Huawei are making some nice laptops. Thin screen bezels, light and a decent finish. Laptops without a dedicated graphic card will run FM fine, but won’t be quite as smooth or fast. But still fine. Would definitely get 8gb of RAM (or you can upgrade it yourself and addd in extra RAM. Just need a mini screw driver).

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Not a great time to buy a laptop with everyone buying to work from home and supply disruption from China lockdown.

My company is doing a company wide Office 365 roll-out in Q3, they have had to buy 2,500 laptops and try to find somewhere to store them

I’m going to join in this thread as I’m looking to buy a laptop too. I want a laptop for work, study, and for FM. We can work from hone if we have a suitable laptop. Would a ‘gaming’ laptop be necessary simply for FM? I have no intention to play any other games on it. And, would it be suitable for work? Or are they more like game stations and laptop equivalents of consoles and so with reduced working capabilities?

My company is doing a company wide Office 365 roll-out in Q3, they have had to buy 2,500 laptops and try to find somewhere to store them

One of my companies sells that many laptops in half a year! You must work for a sizable company.

Happy to help out anyone here. If anyone has a registered disability we provide laptops VAT free (20% off). PM me.

This Lenovo (or close) https://www.ebuyer.com/914246-lenovo-v15-core-i5-8gb-512gb-ssd-15-6-win10-home-laptop-81ye0005uk we sell at circa £400.

@El Guepardo gaming laptops are fine for work, just often a little bulkier to allow for better cooling. The major difference with gaming laptops is a dedicated graphics card. A dedicated graphics card means the computer has dedicated RAM just for displaying graphics. Standard laptops with an 'integrated graphics' card uses the laptops normal RAM.

There are a few everyday looking laptops that have a 2 or 3GB graphics card in them, which are quite interesting.

To answer your question, you would be fine with a standard laptop with an integrated graphics card, so long as you accept FM will lag a little, and the fan will kick in all the time.

Essential is an SSD - the modern Hard Drive. Some gaming machines have both an old spinning Hard Drive (HDD) and the modern SSD, which massively speeds up the computer. I would say 8GB ram minimum. You can get away with 4, but don't expect to run lots of things at the same time, with 20 browser tabs open (RAM is a computers working memory, where info is stored before it is saved on the hard drive).

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the input.
@ShipOfGoldblum - I had a gaming laptop that lasted for ages, died about 4 years ago and never had a need to replace it. Work laptop is fine for almost everything. Just can't really download FM on it!

@SpurMeUp - thanks so much for all the above, really helpful. I'm looking to keep the price around £300, which is low end I know. Will literally use it for nothing more than FM. So I might just have to accept it will be a bit laggy at times, but that's not the end of the world.
Just trying to find something I pick up locally too - delivery is going to be a nightmare I think very soon.

The Boris curve is at best a guess

How do you go 13 years without buying a laptop? Even with a five year replacement cycle, even with only one laptop per person (which is insufficient, you need a high power desktop equivalent and a lightweight gubbins for meetings), even without buying them for wives and children, even with a devotion to tower systems that persisted beyond 2010, that’s not possible.

I have never bought a laptop.

I thank you.

Ok. This is very embarrassed post - and possibly a warning from the future.

I used to pretty much know my way around computer spec. Apparently now I don't know my arse from my isolation.
I have not bought a laptop in about 13 years, but decided it's probably the time to immerse myself back into football manager if we're going to be stuck inside for a long time - Chelmsford aren't going to win the CVD-19 cup without me.

FM required spec has come a long way since FM05.
Since when did 64-bit become the standard?!

FM
Specs are;
OS
Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (Update 1803/April 2018 or later) – 64-bit

PROCESSOR
Intel Pentium 4 (64-bit), Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 2.2 GHz +

MEMORY
2 GB RAM

GRAPHICS
Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM

I have found these three laptops, which to my now amateurish knowledge, should be sufficient.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...md-athlon-128-gb-ssd-silver-10194136-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...tium-gold-128-gb-ssd-silver-10203711-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...re-i3-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10194137-pdt.html

A Google seems to suggest Windows 10 S can be easily turned off to be just Windows 10 (what a dumb idea S is).

Not sure how to work out if its 32/64 bit other than looking at the box?

Any thoughts from those of you who still understand this sizzle?
Any glaring errors on my part? (With the obvious exception of opened myself up to the FM rabbit hole)
I'd say no to all your suggestions. They're all obsolete already. Go for something with a dedicated graphics card, minimum on the level of nvidia mx-150 or mx-250. Those are the cheapest with any form of decent performance. I have a laptop with the mx-150, and I play a lot (world of tanks) and can play that with medium/high settings and get 50-60 fps. You'll have to go up a bit in price. Just forget anything less than £500. You'll just regret it instantly, because everything under that price range is already outdated.

I’m still on a 2012 MacBook Pro.

Happy to upgrade whenever is needed, but had absolutely no need to yet.

Runs the latest OS, is brick quick, and works with every app I need it to. Crazy!

Runs the latest OS, is brick quick, and works with every app I need it to. Crazy!

Weird, not what I associate with Cupertino. I’m particularly irked that my iPad mini 4 is going to be obsoleted by iOS 14. That’s just over two years old.

One of my companies sells that many laptops in half a year! You must work for a sizable company.

Happy to help out anyone here. If anyone has a registered disability we provide laptops VAT free (20% off). PM me.

This Lenovo (or close) https://www.ebuyer.com/914246-lenovo-v15-core-i5-8gb-512gb-ssd-15-6-win10-home-laptop-81ye0005uk we sell at circa £400.

I'll need a new laptop for when my step-daughter goes to secondary school in September, we use the Leonovo's at work and I like the laptop, I'll drop you a message nearer the time for a deal maybe

Thank you for your comments here gents. I'll be needing to upgrade/replace soon and am also very much out of the loop in this area.

I’ve got a couple of those beasts in the cupboard at work, useful to have around as they have thunderbolt and built in Ethernet, brilliant laptops.

Back