• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Yeah but the players you listed are all better and more important than Lamela, with the exception of Dier perhaps. Kane and Son get injured but still score 20+ goals. Alli chips in with his share. Lamela hasn’t managed 10 league goals once in 7 seasons as an attacking midfielder. Some players you can afford to carry even if they are injury prone like Ledley or Kane but Lamela is miles off that level.

we can carry Lamela if he can stay for for a season
At least now it will be like a new season start for him which suits him

Yeah but the players you listed are all better and more important than Lamela, with the exception of Dier perhaps. Kane and Son get injured but still score 20+ goals. Alli chips in with his share. Lamela hasn’t managed 10 league goals once in 7 seasons as an attacking midfielder. Some players you can afford to carry even if they are injury prone like Ledley or Kane but Lamela is miles off that level.
He doesn't assist or create enough either. Good player, fantastic work rate and attitude but lacking in the qualities that are really needed imo.

Except his output is roughly equal to Zaha who many people think is worth paying 50-70M for?
Is that output fouls, as it’s definitely not comparable to goals?

*I don’t think Zaha is worth 50m - 70m either but he’s been very important in the way Palace set up / the players he has around him.

*I don’t think Zaha is worth 50m - 70m either but he’s been very important in the way Palace set up / the players he has around him.

he does create things
He also goes and chase like a nutter
He could also be far more effective is he passed the ball quicker which he won’t As he is so one footed

he does create things
He also goes and chase like a nutter
He could also be far more effective is he passed the ball quicker which he won’t As he is so one footed
I think I better add Freund to the players who should never have left thread!
I know working hard is a minimum requirement we want to see from a player but it shouldn’t be the sole reason for selection.

Except his output is roughly equal to Zaha who many people think is worth paying 50-70M for?

Zaha is one of the most overated players (imo) in the Prem, Lamela is a much better player (imo). But he is not a player we can rely on because of his injury record but i am not sure we would get a decent fee for him so i guess he will still be here next season.

sigh .. yes it's goals

2019/20 season -> Zaha 39 games, 4 goals, Lamela 35 games, 4 goals
Current Club career -> Zaha 219 games, 39 goals, Lamela 220 games, 30 goals
Best season for Zaha in his career, 10 goals, best season for Lamela at Spurs, 11 goals (actually did 15 for Roma as his career best)
Full Pro career -> Zaha 379, 57 goals, Lamela 323 games, 58 goals

And the Palace side is set up for Zaha, he plays pretty much as a striker/goal threat, not the case for Lamela.

I agree with @parklane1 Lamela is literally leagues better than Zaha, the issue is injuries.

sigh .. yes it's goals

Best season for Zaha in his career, 10 goals, best season for Lamela at Spurs, 11 goals (actually did 15 for Roma as his career best)

And the Palace side is set up for Zaha, he plays pretty much as a striker/goal threat, not the case for Lamela.

I agree with @parklane1 Lamela is literally leagues better than Zaha, the issue is injuries.
And decision making, he's so close to be top quality but will usually hold on to the ball for too long or try that extra dribble that he's not capable. Quite a frustrating but likable player. GLC is very much the player we hoped Lamela would be.

I agree re Saha, much is made of his stats (which are ok) but the side is built around him and he often plays as their striker. I've never seen the appeal he could have for us, he isn't somewhere who creates for others which is what we need.

sigh .. yes it's goals

Apologies for not being clear, I was looking at Prem goals.
So 36 in 201 for Zaha.
16 in 154 for Lamela.
I guess Lamela stacks up a bit better when you add in Europa goals and his golden season in Italy.
I’m not saying Zaha is worth the money touted or that the players are particularly similar, but having seen a lot more of Lamela live I know if it was down to a straight swap I’d find it an easy choice to take a punt on Zaha. There would be a big question mark whether Zaha would be as effective in a set up that wasn’t so reliant on him or whether he would function as well in a more supportive rather than main outlet role, but you don’t score 1 in 6 in 200 games for a team like Palace without having some ability - it’s not like he’s getting on the end of crosses and that output would be comparable with Willian. I actually did it difficult to imagine Zaha anywhere else, he’s on a big wage at Palace and I can’t see a top 6 club investing him for that reason. So only maybe Everton?

I do think it’s great that people support the players in our shirt but even at my most optimistic I find it hard to come up with too many positives about Lamela. His main asset is pressing the opposition and committing fouls that break up play / antagonise the opposition and never lead to a red card. He seems to have become a little more in demand as the team has got worse, perhaps with the increase of limited technical players he has looked better, ditto our tendency to let the opposition have the ball. I just expected a bit more from him in an attacking role and when you chuck in his injury record I think it won’t be too difficult to upgrade on him.

;);););););):)
sigh .. yes it's goals

The palace side is set up to defend first and foremost and Zaha is always dealing with being man marked as such due to him being one of the few attacking outlets
Lamela is the man who does the marking in our side... all be it it’s normally from shin high tackles that he always gets away with
If Lamela would pass quicker there is a player there. I wouldn’t sell him unless the money was good though

Apologies for not being clear, I was looking at Prem goals.
So 36 in 201 for Zaha.
16 in 154 for Lamela.
I guess Lamela stacks up a bit better when you add in Europa goals and his golden season in Italy.
I’m not saying Zaha is worth the money touted or that the players are particularly similar, but having seen a lot more of Lamela live I know if it was down to a straight swap I’d find it an easy choice to take a punt on Zaha. There would be a big question mark whether Zaha would be as effective in a set up that wasn’t so reliant on him or whether he would function as well in a more supportive rather than main outlet role, but you don’t score 1 in 6 in 200 games for a team like Palace without having some ability - it’s not like he’s getting on the end of crosses and that output would be comparable with Willian. I actually did it difficult to imagine Zaha anywhere else, he’s on a big wage at Palace and I can’t see a top 6 club investing him for that reason. So only maybe Everton?

I do think it’s great that people support the players in our shirt but even at my most optimistic I find it hard to come up with too many positives about Lamela. His main asset is pressing the opposition and committing fouls that break up play / antagonise the opposition and never lead to a red card. He seems to have become a little more in demand as the team has got worse, perhaps with the increase of limited technical players he has looked better, ditto our tendency to let the opposition have the ball. I just expected a bit more from him in an attacking role and when you chuck in his injury record I think it won’t be too difficult to upgrade on him.

For me the difference is actually a little clearer

- Zaha is what he is, decent level PL player capable of disrupting a game and will occasionally chip in with a goal (I would not swap him because an AM that puts in 4-6 goals a season is the last thing we need right now)
- Lamela will always be what could have been, perhaps if we can get a full season out of him it may change, but I remember a brief moment of Lamela, Eriksen and Dele interchanging that showed abilities Zaha simply doesn't have.
- He's also suffered from the same issue that's affected Eriksen, Dele, Lo Celso, Lucas .. i.e. they have to cover defensively due to our lack of a DM, so he's become that fouler/disrupter (always had bite in him)

I stand by him being a much more talented player than most give him credit for, but injuries and the subsequent never having a run of 10 games in the side has killed that. Could we do better? sure, I think we could get a more consistent player but I also think that we could get a better player for 3 or 4 others in the squad first.

I think he will stay because Jose is trying very hard to change the attitude of the squad first and foremost.

Back