• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Well maybe our fudging manager knowing his injury record should not have left him on the field when we were 5-0 against a side that offered no threat to us ..
If we’re having to protect a player as average as Lamela then we’ve got big problems, especially if it extends to taking him off against a team who couldn’t even be bothered to attempt a tackle after 60 minutes.

If we’re having to protect a player as average as Lamela then we’ve got big problems, especially if it extends to taking him off against a team who couldn’t even be bothered to attempt a tackle after 60 minutes.

Come on mate, he's been one of the better players of the season as it was obvious the Kane, Son, Lamela combination was working, he's an in form player in a struggling side (regardless of your opinion)

He and N'dombele should have come off early so they had the best chance of playing against Pool

Come on mate, he's been one of the better players of the season as it was obvious the Kane, Son, Lamela combination was working, he's an in form player in a struggling side (regardless of your opinion)

He and N'dombele should have come off early so they had the best chance of playing against Pool

Saying he's been one of our best players this season is damming him with faint praise. It's not exactly difficult considering how poor we have been. Lamela is sadly an average player and that demonstrates how poorly we are doing and how low our expectations for players are. Lamela would not get into a team of the season so far and probably wouldn't get into any team of the months so far or even a team of the week. Exactly how good is such a player really?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Saying he's been one of our best players this season is damming him with faint praise. It's not exactly difficult considering how poor we have been. Lamela is sadly an average player and that demonstrates how poorly we are doing and how low our expectations for players are. Lamela would not get into a team of the season so far and probably wouldn't get into any team of the months so far or even a team of the week. Exactly how good is such a player really?

You really think Lamela is an "average player" ?

Let me give you a little comparison, Wilfred Zaha (who people on this fudging board actually think we should have spent 70M+ on, and who plays every game fit for Palace and often as a striker) has 3 more goals than Lamela comparing both of them from the 2013/14 season to now (3 more goals in a 7 game gap of number of games played). I'm quire sure if you threw in assists, Lamela would be ahead.

Lamela may have not ever fit in our midfield, or maybe he hasn't worked out as expected in England but the commentary that he is an average player with no skill is laughable ..

It's really amusing how people think Lamela, Dele and Eriksen are brick without even considering the common factor ...

You really think Lamela is an "average player" ?

Let me give you a little comparison, Wilfred Zaha (who people on this fudging board actually think we should have spent 70M+ on, and who plays every game fit for Palace and often as a striker) has 3 more goals than Lamela comparing both of them from the 2013/14 season to now (3 more goals in a 7 game gap of number of games played). I'm quire sure if you threw in assists, Lamela would be ahead.

Lamela may have not ever fit in our midfield, or maybe he hasn't worked out as expected in England but the commentary that he is an average player with no skill is laughable ..

It's really amusing how people think Lamela, Dele and Eriksen are brick without even considering the common factor ...

I don't rate Zaha either [emoji28]

I mean if Lamela isn't average, what is he? He's certainly not excellent or outstanding. You could call him good but he holds on to the ball for too long far to often, makes bad decisions and the quality of his passes is poor. Too often they are to slow/hard or inaccurate.

He's a good squad player, but that is it. If we are even in the the situation where he is our standard ACM starting then we are in trouble because he isn't of the required standard. He wouldn't start nor interest any of our rivals.

I don't rate Zaha either [emoji28]

I mean if Lamela isn't average, what is he? He's certainly not excellent or outstanding. You could call him good but he holds on to the ball for too long far to often, makes bad decisions and the quality of his passes is poor. Too often they are to slow/hard or inaccurate.

He's a good squad player, but that is it. If we are even in the the situation where he is our standard ACM starting then we are in trouble because he isn't of the required standard. He wouldn't start nor interest any of our rivals.

He's a high energy midfielder with a combative attitude who is capable of 10 goals and 10 assists a season (if he could stay fit), how many PL midfielders can do that?

I'd argue a fit Lamela would be in the squad (if not a starter) for anyone bar City & Pool (and I think Klopp would like him)

Poch has made him into a workhorse .. but he is more than that ...

He's a high energy midfielder with a combative attitude who is capable of 10 goals and 10 assists a season (if he could stay fit), how many PL midfielders can do that?

I'd argue a fit Lamela would be in the squad (if not a starter) for anyone bar City & Pool (and I think Klopp would like him)

In fairness, it's arguable that any other manager in the Prem would've given up on him after the injury issues.

If we couldn’t get an offer for Eriksen with one year left on his contract I doubt any of the big 5 clubs would look twice at Lamela. Perhaps Everton. He is a good player nothing more. I also have to ask the question if Poch has been so bad for his career, why did Lamela sign a 4 year contract in 2018?

In his 6 and a bit seasons he has a grand total of 16 goals and 25 assists. Now I accept that he has been injured for periods of this time but where you extrapolate 10 goals and 10 assists a season from I have no idea.

He played 33 and 34 games in 14/15 and 15/16 and he got 2g7a and 5g9a so not even close to 10/10.

You have have an overinflated opinion of his talents. NONE of our rivals would be interested in him. He's a decidedly average player for the position ACM.

Erik Lamela took his time making it 200 Spurs appearances – but he signed it off with a superb Champions League double
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10192510/spurs-lamela-200-games-goals-champions-league/

Lamela has started the season in great form. Hope he will continue for the rest of the season. But it will be disappointing if Lamela is injured again. More annoying if he is injured in training. Pochettino should be protecting Lamela more with his injury problems.

Just out of personal interest, I put together the following stats for Lamela, Alli and Eriksen since their time at the club. They cover PL, CL and EL.

upload_2019-11-7_13-21-11.png

Lamela's stats actually stack up better than I was expecting - not quite as much end product as Alli and Eriksen, but closer than I was expecting.

Just out of personal interest, I put together the following stats for Lamela, Alli and Eriksen since their time at the club. They cover PL, CL and EL.

View attachment 7587

Lamela's stats actually stack up better than I was expecting - not quite as much end product as Alli and Eriksen, but closer than I was expecting.
So he is the worst of the three players and also the most injury prone of the three players? It's not really a great endorsement is it?

View attachment 7587

Why is there a section that is broken down as "per 33 apps"? What is the significance of 33 appearances?

Also would it be possible to break down the stats per competition? Ie. PL, CL, EL and the various cups? Pretty please [emoji28]

Why is there a section that is broken down as "per 33 apps"? What is the significance of 33 appearances?

Also would it be possible to break down the stats per competition? Ie. PL, CL, EL and the various cups? Pretty please
emoji28.png

The '33 apps' is actually 3000 minutes - just an arbitrary number to represent one season with a decent amount of playing time.

So he is the worst of the three players and also the most injury prone of the three players? It's not really a great endorsement is it?

Haha well 17 combined goals and assists is not much worse than 18 or 20! Though obviously Alli's hit higher heights at his best, and Eriksen's always offered more in deeper build-up play. I just thought Lamela's goals and assists were going to be even lower.

The '33 apps' is actually 3000 minutes - just an arbitrary number to represent one season with a decent amount of playing time.

Haha well 17 combined goals and assists is not much worse than 18 or 20! Though obviously Alli's hit higher heights at his best, and Eriksen's always offered more in deeper build-up play. I just thought Lamela's goals and assists were going to be even lower.
I would be interested to see how they compare with just the PL and CL as they are the premier competitions. My expectations that Lamela's numbers drop on that comparison but I'd be happy to be surprised.

I would be interested to see how they compare with just the PL and CL as they are the premier competitions. My expectations that Lamela's numbers drop on that comparison but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Your wish is my command:

Interestingly Lamela seems to much better in Europa League AND Champions League - though obviously the sample size is much smaller, so more influenced by random fluctuation.

PL
: 6 goals, 9 assists per 3000 mins (on average) - based on 8021 total mins
CL: 8 goals, 23 assists per 3000 mins (on average) - based on 783 total mins
EL: 20 goals, 4 assists per 3000 mins (on average) - based on 1359 total mins

Eriksen's fairly consistent:

PL: 8 goals, 10 assists per 3000 mins - based on 17926 total mins
CL: 7 goals, 8 assists per 3000 mins - based on 2133 total mins
EL: 11 goals, 9 assists per 3000 mins - based on 1386 total mins

Alli's worst in EL, though very small sample size:

PL: 12 goals, 8 asissts per 3000 mins - based on 10635 total mins
CL: 5 goals, 12 assists per 3000 mins - based on 1953 total mins
EL: 0 goals, 8 assists per 3000 mins - based on 756 total mins

In terms of PL and CL combined (i.e. EL removed):

Lamela
: 6 goals, 10 assists
Eriksen: 8 goals, 10 assists
Alli: 11 goals, 9 assists

So Lamela does indeed look a bit worse without the EL. Interesting that he has same number of assists as Eriksen though.

Your wish is my command:

Interestingly Lamela seems to much better in Europa League AND Champions League - though obviously the sample size is much smaller, so more influenced by random fluctuation.

PL
: 6 goals, 9 assists per 3000 mins (on average) - based on 8021 total mins
CL: 8 goals, 23 assists per 3000 mins (on average) - based on 783 total mins
EL: 20 goals, 4 assists per 3000 mins (on average) - based on 1359 total mins

Eriksen's fairly consistent:

PL: 8 goals, 10 assists per 3000 mins - based on 17926 total mins
CL: 7 goals, 8 assists per 3000 mins - based on 2133 total mins
EL: 11 goals, 9 assists per 3000 mins - based on 1386 total mins

Alli's worst in EL, though very small sample size:

PL: 12 goals, 8 asissts per 3000 mins - based on 10635 total mins
CL: 5 goals, 12 assists per 3000 mins - based on 1953 total mins
EL: 0 goals, 8 assists per 3000 mins - based on 756 total mins

In terms of PL and CL combined (i.e. EL removed):

Lamela
: 6 goals, 10 assists
Eriksen: 8 goals, 10 assists
Alli: 11 goals, 9 assists

So Lamela does indeed look a bit worse without the EL. Interesting that he has same number of assists as Eriksen though.

The way Lamela's numbers flip between the CL and EL is interesting. The balance is heavily weighted either towards goals or assists. Lamela did fare better than I expected.

Thank you most kindly. [emoji106]

Back