• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Was really surprised he got 90 mins, but he does seem to have learnt to manage his energy a bit better, not rushing around like an angry wasp all the time.

If he's learned to manage himself, it will be a big part to him progressing. There was an inside story some years ago that he apparently is as fudging crazy on the training ground as in games, and the training staff actually had to have him train "lighter" to help him not aggravate injuries.

Funny some players are so mentally committed they never manage to pace themselves to either last the 90 or avoid injuries (VDV example, guy would run himself into the ground by 65 minutes in)

I can't believe a professional footballer at the level he plays at is so one footed, he should have scored 3 goals on tuesday and regularly misses chances to release a pass due to this weakness. It's probably too late for him to do anything to improve now, but he could have been an exceptional player if he had solve that problem.

I've seen many an interview where our players are asked who is most impressive skills wise in training and they say Lamela.

I can't believe a professional footballer at the level he plays at is so one footed, he should have scored 3 goals on tuesday and regularly misses chances to release a pass due to this weakness. It's probably too late for him to do anything to improve now, but he could have been an exceptional player if he had solve that problem.
Strange, isn't it?

That Rabona was pretty damn awesome but, every time I see it, I can't help but feel that it wouldn't be anything special at all if Kane, Sonny or Eriksen had been in the same position and hit it with their right foot. It's only noteworthy due to a major flaw, unlike say Bale's CL final overhead kick that very few other players could have executed from the same situation. Son's two-footedness is more impressive but a lot less flashy, like a keeper who positions himself to stop a shot easily rather than having to make a flying save.

Not to dampen the Lamela love-in. I do love the guy. He's a nasty little fudger, but he's our nasty little fudger. 100% every time and skilful to boot. The left boot, anyway.

Bit late to the party, had a good game but every time he holds on to the ball for far too long. Never passes when he should and is too greedy for a player with limited ability. We need an upgrade on him massively. Can upgrade relatively easily too.

Last edited:
I've seen many an interview where our players are asked who is most impressive skills wise in training and they say Lamela.
Having skills is one thing, but knowing when to use them or actually making them worthwhile in a game is another. He is an average player, and for someone with supposedly great skills and footballing ability lacks with the brain and decision making. C -

Spot on, one of the first things we used to do when the kids came into the academy was to encourage them to use their weaker foot ( we even got them playing games and only let them use their weaker foot). Generally they learnt to use their weaker foot but to me its looks like Lamela never had the chance or could not work hard enough at it. Either way as you say he would have been a far better player if he had.

Spot on, one of the first things we used to do when the kids came into the academy was to encourage them to use their weaker foot ( we even got them playing games and only let them use their weaker foot). Generally they learnt to use their weaker foot but to me its looks like Lamela never had the chance or could not work hard enough at it. Either way as you say he would have been a far better player if he had.
I'm not sure it's that lads. Look at Beckham. Ridiculously one footed. Look at Giggs. Ridiculously one footed but both were winners, Giggs more so than Beckham and clearly had more to his game than Beckham. My point is I think Lamela simply doesnt have the brain to release the ball early enough, or maybe just thinks he is too good to release early, either way he isnt making the decisions quick enough and should be, for a player who clearly has skill. It makes him an average player, no more no less.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's that lads. Look at Beckham. Ridiculously one footed. Look at Giggs. Ridiculously one footed but both were winners, Giggs more so than Beckham and clearly had more to his game than Beckham. My point is I think Lamela simply doesnt have the brain to release the ball early enough, or maybe just thinks he is too good to release early, either way he isnt making the decisions quicker enough and should be, for a player who clearly has skill. It makes him an average player, no more no less.

I can not remember the last time i saw a player as one footed as Lamela, most players have a stronger foot then the other one but even the likes of Beckham and especially Giggs used both. You may be right about Lamela not having the brain but if you are that one footed ( and he is) then that would usually means he is not looking to pass the ball until he gets it on his good foot.

I have never believed he was a great player ( fantastic workrate, and he has great vision when the ball his on his good foot) but he is easy to read for top players because he usually only plays the one way.

Back