• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

This is a unique situation in that it seems the club and management were happy for a Walker to go - this isn't Bale/Modric/Berbatov so I don't think it bares any relation or sets a precedent for future transfers where other clubs try to prise away the players we want to keep - as we will see with United and Dier they will be told to jog on and the fact Walker is leaving for City will have zero effect on that

Hopefully the only precedent that will be set is that we can point to Walker and say to the likes of Alli and Co that if you give us years of loyal service we will be a little more accommodating should you want to leave - Walker came here as a wet behind the ears 19 year old and is leaving a fully established international at the peak of his game - if we can get that kind of service from our other young signings/players then we'll have done very well

I fully agree on Walker's loyal service - I don't begrudge him *anything* after eight years in our shirt. But re: this being a unique situation, time will tell. The thing is, it isn't up to us in terms of warding off bids - it's up to other clubs not to bother trying. If they start trying, we will have a harder time of it trying to keep players level-headed. Trophies will help in doing that, whatever shape and size they come in.

The precedent isn't on *our* end, is my point - it's on the end of the clubs now curious about whether, in similar circumstances, we would be willing to let, say, Rose go (and he's been here as long as Walker, more or less - a bit longer, actually). They might be more encouraged by all this, in that respect.

Winning trophies will not stop clubs from going after our players. As long as the salary offered is bigger or they are a bigger club, players will move. No matter how many trophies Spurs win, if Real came in heavily for Dele - he will move.

Sure, but he'd move more readily if we don't win anything. It's not a question of FA Cups keeping Dele here *forever* - it's FA Cups keeping Dele here *longer* relative to winning nothing whatsoever.

Sounds like we are going in hard for this Porto right back.

Makes the sale of Walker all the more bizarre. One of the few ways I could get my head around it was if he was viewed as blocking KWP progression, but now from what I read we are buying this 23 year old Porto player and will look to loan KWP.

Very strange and perhaps an indictment on KWP as we will now have Trippier and this 23 year old long term, so how does KWP get a look in.

Has a physio gone to Levy and said sell Walker now as his body is about to combust? Doubt it.

Poch should have put an arm around Walker, been a manager and resolved their differences.

Now we have this unknown guy coming in, sidelining KWP long term and have strengthened a direct rival.

This transfer makes more sense by the day.

By all accounts KWP is very highly thought of and would seem to be definitely part of Poch's plans. However our fullbacks are the most heavily rotated of our players and as of now, I don't think KWP has played a single minute of competitive first team football (unless he played in the EL Cup last season but I don't think he did). So making him the #2 RB from August onwards might be putting too much on young shoulders. That does not mean he is side-lined long-term. Trippier is what, 27, now? Not old, but for a FB probably not far off his peak. There are plenty of games for KWP to be blooded in and gain experience.
(And, for what it's worth, the latest on Periera is that we are not going for him in any case).

I'm not sure how many different ways there are to say it, but Walker wanted to go. For whatever reason. Maybe it was impossible for Poch to resolve their differences in the way that Walker wanted (less rotation? more money? guaranteed first choice? Other?). We could have kept him, unhappy, dropping to second choice RB and losing his England slot to his club team mate in the process. And losing sale value all that time.
Maybe City are strengthened by acquiring Walker. That doesn't mean we are weakened by selling him.

Sure, but he'd move more readily if we don't win anything. It's not a question of FA Cups keeping Dele here *forever* - it's FA Cups keeping Dele here *longer* relative to winning nothing whatsoever.

Dele is not looking at any cups other than CL.....

hey @SWP29

how do you feel about the Walker deal?

Quite pleased with it in all honesty. Its been said on this thread before, but after Alves fell through my immediate reaction was fear of being priced out of Walker. But surprisingly it seems the asking price didn't change at all. Levy's ability to get the best price is his most famous quality, and I'm positive he could have capitalised on our desperation even more.

£50m is a staggering amount, but not completely unreasonable: The best right back in the division; several years on his contract; entering his prime years; transfer between direct rivals; and finally, the English premium. It all adds up.

Don't think I've ever looked forward to a pre season friendly before, but ours in a few weeks will have an interesting wrinkle now.

Quite pleased with it in all honesty. Its been said on this thread before, but after Alves fell through my immediate reaction was fear of being priced out of Walker. But surprisingly it seems the asking price didn't change at all. Levy's ability to get the best price is his most famous quality, and I'm positive he could have capitalised on our desperation even more.

£50m is a staggering amount, but not completely unreasonable: The best right back in the division; several years on his contract; entering his prime years; transfer between direct rivals; and finally, the English premium. It all adds up.

Don't think I've ever looked forward to a pre season friendly before, but ours in a few weeks will have an interesting wrinkle now.

you are getting a great player, I don't think the fee is staggering at all, he is the best RB in the league, by a considerable distance

you're not going to get priced out of anyone though

I fully agree on Walker's loyal service - I don't begrudge him *anything* after eight years in our shirt. But re: this being a unique situation, time will tell. The thing is, it isn't up to us in terms of warding off bids - it's up to other clubs not to bother trying. If they start trying, we will have a harder time of it trying to keep players level-headed. Trophies will help in doing that, whatever shape and size they come in.

The precedent isn't on *our* end, is my point - it's on the end of the clubs now curious about whether, in similar circumstances, we would be willing to let, say, Rose go (and he's been here as long as Walker, more or less - a bit longer, actually). They might be more encouraged by all this, in that respect.
You do have a point @DubaiSpur, but we are where we are as a club in relation to a pecking order and even the might of Man Utd don't know whether they're coming or going with De Gea for example.

We could employ the Amy Winehouse technique (no, no, no) but in reality, and our position, we have to consider any offer if it is ridiculous or we personally are comfortable with it.

Perhaps we can just hope to control the leakage to the best of our (and DL's) ability.

And lets face it our real big ticket players.....Kane,Rose,Alli,Eriksen,Dier cost us very little in the first place. My point being, not the profit we've made, but that replacements don't always have to cost a fortune. Although you'll probably tell me we've just got lucky with this bunch:p.

Come on, man. You know as well as I how much bull this is. Our performances under Guardiola have been a level above Pellegrini's final season.

Remarkable how much Guardiola is seemingly underrated here. Reactionary 21st century football, I suppose.

Fair post, it seems fans of clubs like to have digs at winners who have proved they can win things ( i have read things by some Spurs fans that slag off winning managers , Jose, Pep, Fergie). Never really understood that to be honest well i can its mostly down to being jealous but of course they will not admit to that. ;)

Let's see what the likes of Pep and Mou would do with the Hartlepool job...........

why?

that's as relevant as what would happen if Craig Harrison walked into Barca or Real, all the players would say, who the fudge are you

the situations are not comparable in any way

Is it true that not one Spurs player wished Walker well on social media?.....also it's claimed that Wanyama unfollowed him in Twitter :)

I'm sure it happened a lot privately.

Im sure it happened ... but usually you get teammates all over in the social media etc.

The fact that kyle had a little unnecessary jibe at poch with his pep comment suggests that he didn't leave the team on the best of terms.

Come on, man. You know as well as I how much bull this is. Our performances under Guardiola have been a level above Pellegrini's final season.

Remarkable how much Guardiola is seemingly underrated here. Reactionary 21st century football, I suppose.

I think the expectation was higher due to what he achieved at other clubs with the dominant financial foothold

And last season he learned a lot about his team

I think the expectation was higher due to what he achieved at other clubs with the dominant financial foothold

And last season he learned a lot about his team

I think as fans ee can get fooled into hype especially when it's the unknown abroad type. His numbers are remarkable but up close and personal seeing his team perform, a modern 21st century fan couldn't see why he was so lauded

He made and failed to correct glaring defects in his team and it suggests that he only could play one way.

He has the players and splashed a little change to prove that he is good. We look at poch and think pure pedigree with what he can do with limited resource ... get pep to manage spurs ... we would sink.

I think as fans ee can get fooled into hype especially when it's the unknown abroad type. His numbers are remarkable but up close and personal seeing his team perform, a modern 21st century fan couldn't see why he was so lauded

He made and failed to correct glaring defects in his team and it suggests that he only could play one way.

He has the players and splashed a little change to prove that he is good. We look at poch and think pure pedigree with what he can do with limited resource ... get pep to manage spurs ... we would sink.

Maybe

I would really like to see the monied managers take over a team with normal resources though and prove themselves

Guardiola is clearly a very talented manager within some very strict criteria.

If he is in charge of a very rich team that is already significantly better and richer than its rivals, he clearly excels.

Outside of that there's no way of knowing if he's a Pochettino or a Sherwood.

Edit clearly he's not a Sherwood, nobody else can be that fudging dumb.

Back