• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Naughton ***official sold to Swansea***

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
No thread of his own yet? :eek: [-X

I'm your man! Naughton ready to fill left-back gap after Assou-Ekotto injury setback

Kyle Naughton has declared himself the man to fill the void left by Benoit Assou-Ekotto ahead of Tottenham's Europa League opener against Lazio.

Spurs were still waiting to discover how long left-back Assou-Ekotto would face on the sidelines on Tuesday amid fears he could be ruled out for up to a month.

The 28-year-old missed Andre Villas-Boas' first win in charge at Reading on Sunday with a knee problem that may require a 'washout' procedure, ruling him out for around four weeks.

Losing Assou-Ekotto, who has barely missed a match in the last four seasons, would be seen as a blow to Spurs' hopes of building on their opening Barclays Premier League victory this term.

Jan Vertonghen has filled in at left-back numerous times for Belgium but Villas-Boas decided on Sunday to hand Naughton his full league debut for Tottenham.

Despite playing out of position, the 23-year-old proved up to the challenge at the Madejski Stadium and was hoping to have done enough to keep his place for Thursday's Europa League glamour clash against Lazio.

'It was great to get the three points and that the gaffer gave me a chance to show what I can do,' he told his club's official website, www.tottenhamhotspur.com.

'I played at left-back a few times for Norwich (on loan) last season and hopefully now I can carry on playing.

'Towards the end, I was tiring a little and they got in behind us a little but the more games I play, hopefully the stronger I'll get.

'Everyone's been brilliant and I just hope I can carry on now and play in the Europa League.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2205137/Kyle-Naughton-ready-replace-injured-Benoit-Assou-Ekotto-Tottenham.html

Re: Kyle Naughton

Personally I didnt think he was good enogh, however who else can fill in?

Thought he did okay, but would like to see him get the chance on his natural side at some point.

Personally I didnt think he was good enogh, however who else can fill in?

I thought he was very nervous throughout the game - gave away too many silly free kicks and was often beaten by his man. He was our weakest link against Reading imo.

But it was his first full game so I am prepared to give him time

Didnt exactly set the world alight on his debut but his reputation from his time out on loan makes me think it's just a case of settling to the team/nerves

I thought he was ok. Going forward put in a couple of good crosses with his right peg. Deserves a chance.

Naughton did very well with Norwich City last season out on loan and he just needs some more games under his belt with Tottenham's first team to settle down and show his full potential.

Don't forget that when Spurs signed the Kyle Twins from Sheffield United, it was Naughton who was generally considered to be the better prospect of the two at the time.

He was no worse defensively than Bale when he plays LB, I remember Seamus Coleman tearing Bale a new arsehole!

Edit: and Bolton's Lee

Coleman beats winger in defensive position shocker.

Out of interest, what were the games it happened 2 or 3 times in ?

Naughton is a good player, and in many aspects a better full back than Walker. He did ok last match, especially considering it was his first game and out of position (although can play there). As is usually the case I'm sure the more he plays the better he will get, happy to see him get a run of games.....

When we drew 2-2 and bale played LB. then when we lost 2-1 2 seasons ago, coleman scored. Although bale probably played left wing in that 1. Might have been the one when he injured his back

Decent performance by Naughton, IMO. Didn't set the world alight, but did well enough for him to be picked again as long as BAE is injured.

I remember BAE was about 2 games away from being sold (with little complaint from anyone on here), until he turned it round.

Give the lad time.

Naugton? Pah.

Looked very average the other day playing in not his normal position, as a youngster.

Burn him.............the witch.

Long term i think he will be competition for Walker, but he is certainly able to do a decent job at LB.

Back