• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

King, Modric and Bale

elltrev

Andy Sinton
Bit of a random and potentially pointless topic, but it suddenly really struck me the other day that we've lost these three genuinely world class players - and I'm talking top 3 in their position in the world at their peak - in two seasons. As well as VDV - a tier below that trio, but still a top player with a winnder's mentality.

Rather than feeling down if we finish 5th-7th, I'm choosing to feel grateful that I've been lucky enough to see such phenomenal and classy players grace the club at the same time. It was a fantastic period - the best - in my time as a Spurs fan, and I doubt we'll see a Spurs team of that quality again for a long time.

There will be more. Eriksen has it in him to be better for us than rat face ever was. Vert. is inching up on world class, if he could just stay fit. Bale will be a tough one too replace, it could be a long while, maybe Lamela will step up. Point is while its fine to reminisce on what was try not too forget we have a lot to look forward to in our current squad. We've only just begun to see what this current crop of players is capable of.

I think we underachieved with the team Harry had. It was a very very good side (first half of the season!)

Blimey, sorry state of affairs if we going to sit back for the next 20 years and get all giddy about those heady days when we finished fourth twice...

thats about as small time as it gets. we're not ipswich or someone of that ilk.

Lloris, Verts and Sandro aren't far off that level, and the two Eriks could get there in time too.

Vert has a fair way to go to reach King's level.
Well he certainly has the capability, just not sure he has the motivation. I sense he's feeling frustrated at our limitations tbh, can see United coming in with a massive offer for him at the end of the season.

Verts won't have any offers in unless he improves some. He has not reached the same performance levels as last season by a long way IMO. Playing at LB hasn't helped of course

If Harry's team hadn't had Europe to worry about then we could've held on longer

Dont get that at all, did we reach the final or something? Harry switched off - that is almost certainly what happened, and we are paying the price.

Bit of a random and potentially pointless topic, but it suddenly really struck me the other day that we've lost these three genuinely world class players - and I'm talking top 3 in their position in the world at their peak - in two seasons. As well as VDV - a tier below that trio, but still a top player with a winnder's mentality.

Rather than feeling down if we finish 5th-7th, I'm choosing to feel grateful that I've been lucky enough to see such phenomenal and classy players grace the club at the same time. It was a fantastic period - the best - in my time as a Spurs fan, and I doubt we'll see a Spurs team of that quality again for a long time.

As good as they were, I don't believe that Bale, Modric or King were ever in the top three in their positions in the world.

I think we underachieved with the team Harry had. It was a very very good side (first half of the season!)

Got to agree with this I'm afraid. I think Spurs fans nowadays are starting to talk like losers. I used to be a like this in the last decade but frankly what we have had served up this season has been nothing more than an absolute disgrace. We simply cannot compete with any team that shows a bit of fight and imo our summer spending was poor. For what we spent you would expect a far better return from the likes of soldado and eriksen et al.

Disappointed to say the least!

Blimey, sorry state of affairs if we going to sit back for the next 20 years and get all giddy about those heady days when we finished fourth twice...

thats about as small time as it gets. we're not ipswich or someone of that ilk.

OOps this is what I was referring to!!

You can't keep the squad you need to be able to compete for CL places (i.e. 22 senior players cf 16+ kids) if you are not able to rotate them in Europe and decent runs in the domestic cups. EL if definitely a bridge to CL not a hindrance.

Paulinho has it in his locker to be a real star too. I have confidence in him, a lot of confidence.

In what sense mate? I think we did bloody well to finish above Chelsea even though we ****ed up by finishing below Arsenal. That Chelsea side still had Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Ashley Cole, Cech, Mata, Ramires etc, not only were they a better side, but they also had more experience winning titles and trophies in general.

We shouldn't have lost to Portsmouth in the FA Cup but there's no guarantee we would have beaten Chelsea in the final given how good they are in that competition.

In what sense mate? I think we did bloody well to finish above Chelsea even though we ****ed up by finishing below Arsenal. That Chelsea side still had Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Ashley Cole, Cech, Mata, Ramires etc, not only were they a better side, but they also had more experience winning titles and trophies in general.

We shouldn't have lost to Portsmouth in the FA Cup but there's no guarantee we would have beaten Chelsea in the final given how good they are in that competition.

Just look at the players we had at our disposal. Bale, VdV, Modric, King, Adebayor, Kaboul, Gallas, Lennon... Some really good players. We should have at least got third, given the way we ended our season. But I take your point re. Chelsea who horrendously under achieved in the league that year.

Back