• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Most of the England WC boys have struggled. Take out Sterling and there aren't many success stories. I'd suspect he hasn't been 400% all season. I'd expect an upturn in form next season.

Perhaps, but even recognising his poor form this season, even if you look at what his normal/average level is then he's still one of the weakest, if not the weakest, play in our starting 11. He's also not going to improve given his age and his value will start to decline soon. Everything points to selling him this summer and getting in a replacement

That's as stupid an argument I've ever heard, has gb hacked your account?
Any manager that plays a great player out of position to cover an inferior player in that position is an idiot and would be hung out to dry.

Well it was what southgate did at the world cup.

Tripper in slow boring world cup football offered a threat through crossing. A high number of goals at world cups come from set plays.

So southgate put one trick pony Tripper in there for that reason. But even he knew what an awful defender he is so he put another right back in the team in walker to cover him.

It worked in competition football to a degree because of the slow nature of the football.

So many people tell me Tripper played well in the world cup because he scored a free kick.

Chap in the staff room did back in October and as he left to use the toilet I spat in his tea. Then when he came back conceded he knew more about football then me and I was wrong. As if anyone ever has known more about football then me.

Tripper was not good in that world cup, he is a back up player at best.

Walker has pace but can't put in a cross and Trippier can't defend but can cross or used to be able to. Walker even said he'd never played that position before in his life. I thought Southgate done really well by playing them together otherwise England would have had a big issue down the right side. I don't expect Trippier to play for England again now with Alexander-Arnold and Wan Basska coming through, full backs that can do both roles. It always covered the issue England have at centre back with only Maguire being a reliable centre back. A back four of either Walker/Trippier and Stones in it would get obliterated, even for City Stones has been relegated to the bench or plugging in centre mid. I actually think that's the position where he'll end up.

Southgate didn't play walker at rcb to protect Trippier though as dfl claims.

Perhaps, but even recognising his poor form this season, even if you look at what his normal/average level is then he's still one of the weakest, if not the weakest, play in our starting 11. He's also not going to improve given his age and his value will start to decline soon. Everything points to selling him this summer and getting in a replacement

I cant disagree with any of that. Maybe the current Foyth stuff is early planning. A solid 442 option and would save a few quid. I sense the forum want something more exciting.

Well it was what southgate did at the world cup.

Tripper in slow boring world cup football offered a threat through crossing. A high number of goals at world cups come from set plays.

So southgate put one trick pony Tripper in there for that reason. But even he knew what an awful defender he is so he put another right back in the team in walker to cover him.

It worked in competition football to a degree because of the slow nature of the football.

So many people tell me Tripper played well in the world cup because he scored a free kick.

Chap in the staff room did back in October and as he left to use the toilet I spat in his tea. Then when he came back conceded he knew more about football then me and I was wrong. As if anyone ever has known more about football then me.

Tripper was not good in that world cup, he is a back up player at best.

I didn’t watch in England in the world cup, I'm not English why would I. (I don't watch Scotland either BTW.)
Why would any manager move a superior player out of position to play and inferior one? Why not just play the superior player?

I realise that it's you and you're probably just being your normal provocative self so I won't carry this any further other to say that Trippier is actually a much superior to walker in every way and anyone who claims to have the football 'knowledge' you have would obviously know this.

Making the best of a bad bunch I guess. Walkers pace was key to covering Stones/Maguires brainfarts.

In a similar way that Sanchez plays in the 3 when we go 352. He has the legs to recover situations.

Personally Id have taken Tarkowski or someone, but as ever with England there is always that "Well he plays for City/Utd/Pool" element that seems to dictate things.

Walker played as part of a back 3. Part of that job of course being to cover the right side as we played a wingback system which inevitably meant they could be caught upfield.

This is a natural part of the system and not a special accomodation of Trippier.

Id suggest also that we went with wingbacks because the midfield/attack options were basically brick.

I think for the most part Southgate came up with a system that covered the deficiencies of the squad, it was good management really.

I didn’t watch in England in the world cup, I'm not English why would I. (I don't watch Scotland either BTW.)
Why would any manager move a superior player out of position to play and inferior one? Why not just play the superior player?

I realise that it's you and you're probably just being your normal provocative self so I won't carry this any further other to say that Trippier is actually a much superior to walker in every way and anyone who claims to have the football 'knowledge' you have would obviously know this.

I did think you were Scottish so thought you might not have watched England in the world cup, but I am not being provocative, that is what happened. Check with others if you do not believe me. They may word it slightly differently, but walker was played in a back 3 on the right hand side of the back 3 and then tripper as a right wing back, but we had to have walker in there to cover tripper as he has no pace. You could not just have a normal centre half behind him, he needed a right back in there.

In international football and I guess as a jock you wont have watched any international competitions but you can get away with the odd slow player. It is totally what Southgate did with England last summer. Tripper did not have a good tournament, he scored a free kick in one match.

Trippier is one of the worst defenders when it comes to 1v1 I’ve seen in a spurs shirt in a long time, probably since the 90s, he’s that bad. To claim he’s a better defender than walker is just wrong IMO. Walker doesn’t get done pretty much every time like trips does 1v1

His crossing ability has deserted him too. He has no pace, he’s not physically imposing like walker and not as aggressive.

How many times does Danny Rose make a great, aggressive tackle or timely interception. Has Trippier ever done that? He’s a massive weakness in our team and we need an upgrade ASAP.

Like I said, now Alexander-Arnold is first choice, Trippier won't feature for England and a back four is the system again. Walker has no final ball which is what was keeping Trippier in the team. Now there are players coming through that can do all sides of the game Walker will get phased out as well.

Even if you reduce Walker's skillet down to pace (which it isn't) it's pace Trippier doesn't have, allowing his team to push up higher take more risks etc etc. Plus he shows his man inside every time, that's criminal for a full back especially when most wingers play on the opposite side now.

What was annoying me last night was the type of crosses be was putting in. Those floaty half chipped one's, fudging put some pace on the ball.

Like I said, now Alexander-Arnold is first choice, Trippier won't feature for England and a back four is the system again. Walker has no final ball which is what was keeping Trippier in the team. Now there are players coming through that can do all sides of the game Walker will get phased out as well.

Even if you reduce Walker's skillet down to pace (which it isn't) it's pace Trippier doesn't have, allowing his team to push up higher take more risks etc etc. Plus he shows his man inside every time, that's criminal for a full back especially when most wingers play on the opposite side now.

What was annoying me last night was the type of crosses be was putting in. Those floaty half chipped one's, fudging put some pace on the ball.
From what I've seen recently Foyth can do a job at RB/RWB. His skill on the ball makes him far less predictable than Trippier and his ability to pick a pass - when there are more mobile options than Lamp post available - can be useful.

Why play Walker at all then in a position he can't play?
So if walker can't play as rcb but is the best RB in the country you play walker at rcb to cover someone else who is an inferior RB?
Did England only take two CB to the WC? Because unless they did that makes no sense at all.

Trippier is one of the worst defenders when it comes to 1v1 I’ve seen in a spurs shirt in a long time, probably since the 90s, he’s that bad. To claim he’s a better defender than walker is just wrong IMO. Walker doesn’t get done pretty much every time like trips does 1v1

His crossing ability has deserted him too. He has no pace, he’s not physically imposing like walker and not as aggressive.

How many times does Danny Rose make a great, aggressive tackle or timely interception. Has Trippier ever done that? He’s a massive weakness in our team and we need an upgrade ASAP.

Please read my post again, it's aimed at dfl and his level of 'knowledge' and should not be taken seriously.

I did think you were Scottish so thought you might not have watched England in the world cup, but I am not being provocative, that is what happened. Check with others if you do not believe me. They may word it slightly differently, but walker was played in a back 3 on the right hand side of the back 3 and then tripper as a right wing back, but we had to have walker in there to cover tripper as he has no pace. You could not just have a normal centre half behind him, he needed a right back in there.

In international football and I guess as a jock you wont have watched any international competitions but you can get away with the odd slow player. It is totally what Southgate did with England last summer. Tripper did not have a good tournament, he scored a free kick in one match.

Outside spurs I don't watch football, unless it promises to be a particularly good game.
I may watch Liverpool v Barcelona tonight, that looks promising on a few levels.
International football leaves me cold, always has.

Trippier isn't half the player that Walker is. That is why Emirates Marketing Project paid £50 million for Walker, while we're left hoping that there will be a team somewhere mad enough to pay half of that for Trippier so that we can sign an upgrade.

Trippier isn't half the player that Walker is. That is why Emirates Marketing Project paid £50 million for Walker, while we're left hoping that there will be a team somewhere mad enough to pay half of that for Trippier so that we can sign an upgrade.

The price of a player isn't always an indication of they're quality.
But any way, my reply to dfl was a quip in relation to his previous post and not supposed to be taken seriously.

Honestly scratching my head about this argument. I have defended Trippier big-time in the past especially last year but it is as obvious as daylight that the guy is a complete defensive liability and has always been. He used to compensate for that with his excellent crossing - and let's be clear, there were time last season when his crosses were world class.

However - as he himself admitted - that part of his game seems to have disappeared this year. I can count on one hand those lovely wicked pacy bending crosses that people called him the Beckham of Bury for. So if that element of his game is gone, he becomes simply a liability and needs replacing - starting with Wednesday.

For me Trippier is the opposite player of Walker.

Walker is a pretty brainless player, an incredible athlete, adds nothing of note to the attack but is a very decent defender (particularly 1 on 1)

Trippier is more intelligent, slower, weaker, poorer defensively but able to add a lot to the attack not just with crosses but insightful and early balls (when on some sort of form).

Chalk and cheese, imo.

For me Trippier is the opposite player of Walker.

Walker is a pretty brainless player, an incredible athlete, adds nothing of note to the attack but is a very decent defender (particularly 1 on 1)

Trippier is more intelligent, slower, weaker, poorer defensively but able to add a lot to the attack not just with crosses but insightful and early balls (when on some sort of form).

Chalk and cheese, imo.

Walkers pace though is more of a threat than trippiers slow crosses

Back