• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Does anyone else ever wonder why full backs are seemingly never encouraged to try and take on a man when they get forward? It's weird how a right back like Trippier is always looking for the ball, bombing forward into the space in the opposition half but when he receives it and doesnt have a chance to whip in a cross he stops, looks up and simply goes back again just to keep possession, losing the momentum of the attack. On other occasions Trippier would do the obvious right thing and try to lay it into Son (Who then quite often has 1 or 2 defenders on him and has to lay it straight back). I understand the overall benefit of keeping possession and wearing down the opposition or probing for better opportunities but how scary would it be if every time the full backs received the ball early and were 1 on 1 if they just tried to go directly past their man once in a while.
I would never complain if possession ends with Rose trying to get past his man but ends up over dribbling it, or losing possession etc. It's actually refreshing to see sometimes and it gives the opposition defender a tough time and makes them less likely to get forward.

One of the most annoying aspects of our play and why we rarely open teams up. We'll counter attack, spread it wide and then stop and start going sideways and backwards. The problem is the full backs never even pretend they're going to try something else so defending against them had no fewer for the opposition, just stand your man up and wait for him to pass it backwards.

I’m thinking tiredness, build up of injuries, and then yes probably a touch of what you’ve said - or maybe just ‘struggling with raised expectations’ If we’re being kind.

I think you have summed it up spot on.

At least he’s acknowledged the dip and it is fair to say no one intends to play badly. Due to his lack of physical attributes he has to be on top form to be effective and sometimes when you are off you try even harder or overthink it which makes the performance even worse.

I think his dedication in training coinciding with Walker having his head turned won Poch over, he then surfed the wave of becoming a first transfer through the World Cup with England and even the beginning of the season, perhaps he subconsciously thought he’d made it and could take his foot of the gas.

At least he’s acknowledged the dip and it is fair to say no one intends to play badly. Due to his lack of physical attributes he has to be on top form to be effective and sometimes when you are off you try even harder or overthink it which makes the performance even worse.

I think his dedication in training coinciding with Walker having his head turned won Poch over, he then surfed the wave of becoming a first transfer through the World Cup with England and even the beginning of the season, perhaps he subconsciously thought he’d made it and could take his foot of the gas.
He must be good if he can think subconsciously!

One of the most annoying aspects of our play and why we rarely open teams up. We'll counter attack, spread it wide and then stop and start going sideways and backwards. The problem is the full backs never even pretend they're going to try something else so defending against them had no fewer for the opposition, just stand your man up and wait for him to pass it backwards.
That's because they do not have the requisite pace or dribbling ability. Tripps' aim is to whip the ball in as early as possible - provided he is afforded the space to do so.

But more often than not WBs are confronted by not just one but maybe two or more defenders whenever they venture forward, which is why most are forced to pass sideways or backwards in order to retain possession.

Of course if you are super-talented and/or pacy like Mane or Moura then you are more than happy to take defenders on, but that is just not Trippier.

Didn’t score an own goal tonight. And did other things well too. His partnership w Sissoko is generally solid. Not quite lennon and Charlie, but good.

So, I've been pretty critical of him this season - he has been Championship quality, or worse, for most of it.

But fair play to him for acknowledging that he has been - better players than him have clammed up and said nothing.

Question is, does that change what needs to be done this summer?
We know his best is very good, no reason to think he can't return to that.

What happens in the summer depends on a lot of other factors. What's the plan with Aurier, how highly does Pochettino rate KWP, which players that we'd want to sign are available, at what cost.

Happy with Trippier as one of our right backs gong into next season, but not delighted. Unless we rate KWP very highly I'd like a new signing, someone with massive potential or already better than what we have.

So, I've been pretty critical of him this season - he has been Championship quality, or worse, for most of it.

But fair play to him for acknowledging that he has been - better players than him have clammed up and said nothing.

Question is, does that change what needs to be done this summer?

I guess the question you would ask is why does he continue to do them if he’s recognised it as a weakness.

Needs to sit on the sideline for a bit. First sterling goal was shambolic defending from him . Second he should be checking his shoulder and see sterling latching onto that and moving to cut it out.

His form is a real concern in the run in.

Back