• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Was not happy with Trips today. Misplaced passes and some poor decision making and, sadly, he had a hand in at least one of their goals. (I am trying to forget as much as I can about the game, despite have driving home hard from Scotland to watch it)

I’ve always said Trippier can’t defend and shouldn’t be right back in a 4 man defence. If we intend to play 442, play him as right mid, if not then let him go. We need to upgrade right back.

Agreed, at his best he's a very good player but he doesn't perform at a consistently high level as shown by several errors this season that have led to goals.

It's cause he refuses to take on the left sided player, even a token attempt would make the opposition question what he's going to do on the ball. As he never does they know if they did cut the cross he'll either hoof it up the line, or mum my personal favourite, check back and play a slow square pass.

It's cause he refuses to take on the left sided player, even a token attempt would make the opposition question what he's going to do on the ball. As he never does they know if they did cut the cross he'll either hoof it up the line, or mum my personal favourite, check back and play a slow square pass.

He did attempt a take on yesterday, he got tackled.

I don’t think he was worse than anyone else yesterday, a couple of the give aways looked bad but the intended receiver either wasn’t in the right position or the right shape to receive the ball.

Trippier's form has gone down since Walker joined ManCity. When Walker was around, Trippier used to perform consistently whenever given chance, being one of our most creative players with inch perfect crosses. Now he can't even cross properly most of the times.

Trippier's form has gone down since Walker joined ManCity. When Walker was around, Trippier used to perform consistently whenever given chance, being one of our most creative players with inch perfect crosses. Now he can't even cross properly most of the times.
I also think his performances for us were strengthened but the fact Toby and Jan were the usual pairing and Rose was on the opposite flank, with a really strong defensive midfield so against the lesser teams he could play as a right wing back with little defensive responsibility. Then for England at a lower standard with a back three he really got to showcase his passing and crossing technique with Walker acting as his support defensively.

He can still hit a good through ball but yesterday his short range passing was poor (as was Winks tbf) but of the three right backs available I think he’s already peaked, whereas the other two have scope to improve their all round games to greater effect, even if they never manage to cross the ball like him.

He can still hit a good through ball but yesterday his short range passing was poor (as was Winks tbf) but of the three right backs available I think he’s already peaked, whereas the other two have scope to improve their all round games to greater effect, even if they never manage to cross the ball like him.
Trips may well have peaked in comparison with Aurier and KWP but does that really have to mean he cannot still be our best option at RWB going forward? For sure he's currently going through a very poor spell but only six months ago he was being rated amongst the world's best attacking RWBs. Most of our players seem to have overcome their post-WC fatigue, maybe Trips just happens to be the odd one out?

Certain posters (not you) seem to have a tendency to judge players overly harshly whenever they're going through a poor spell, yet when we look back, most of our top players have had such spells only for them to eventually come back even stronger. Son was getting hammered by some on here only a couple of months back but now we all love him to bits.

For sure Trippier can be done by the very trickiest of forwards but so too can KWP, as recently demonstrated all too graphically by Barcelona's Dembele and West Ham's Antonio. He even had to be taken off at HT earlier this year after a torrid time against lowly Newport. True he is still young and still learning so like Trippier we need to reserve judgment. But you could hardly argue right now that his defensive qualities are his strongest suit.

Of the three that accolade probably goes to Aurier except we all know he too can be very unpredictable.

At the end of the day, the man best placed to judge which of our three RWBs needs to go - if any - is Pochettino. If he decides it has to be Trippier then so be it. I'm just grateful it's his judgment that counts, not ours.

Last edited:
Trips may well have peaked in comparison with Aurier and KWP but does that really have to mean he cannot still be our best option at RWB going forward? For sure he's currently going through a very poor spell but only six months ago he was being rated amongst the world's best attacking RWBs. Most of our players seem to have overcome their post-WC fatigue, maybe Trips just happens to be the odd one out?

Certain posters (not you) seem to have a tendency to judge players overly harshly whenever they're going through a poor spell, yet when we look back, most of our top players have had such spells only for them to eventually come back even stronger. Son was getting hammered by some on here only a couple of months back but now we all love him to bits.

For sure Trippier can be done by the very trickiest of forwards but so too can KWP, as recently demonstrated all too graphically by Barcelona's Dembele and West Ham's Antonio. He even had to be taken off at HT earlier this year after a torrid time against lowly Newport. True he is still young and still learning so like Trippier we need to reserve judgment. But you could hardly argue right now that his defensive qualities are his strongest suit.

Of the three that accolade probably goes to Aurier except we all know he too can be very unpredictable.

At the end of the day, the man best placed to judge which of our three RWBs needs to go - if any - is Pochettino. If he decides it has to be Trippier then so be it. I'm just grateful it's his judgment that counts, not ours.
Of course Poch is best placed to judge and spends the most time studying these players. Lucky bastard.

I’ve never been Trippiers biggest fan and felt Walker was a lot better in the bigger games but always delighted when he does well for us or England. I just think the World Cup suited his style more than ours with what was a different standard of football plus an insurance inside him if he did struggle in his individual defensive battle. It pains me to say it as a 5ft 8 no paced right back who can’t understand why everyone can’t cross a ball with a bit of spin on it but with us having 3 players for the position it might come down to cashing in on Trippier’s World Cup to give KWP the chance to progress.

An injury / fatigue / confidence is probably impacting Trippier too, but even at his best its always to be difficult for him against a 6ft 2 quick winger. KWP has the same challenges but being younger may be able to hit the protein shakes and has a little bit more recovery pace.

By cutting out his rash lunges Aurier looks to be the safest bet defensively which seemed a long way off last season! I’m not even convinced KWP will become an ever present but he’s getting to the age where we need to back him or move him on.

I really like Wan Bissaka so would not be against moving 2 out to get him in, even one of them to Palace to sweeten the deal.

I’m still behind Trippier and recognise his qualities but over the the course of his time here I’ve never really felt he was more than a plan b against packed defences and not first choice.

I have nothing but admiration for the heights he’s reached in his career.

Just watched the highlights of the world cup. Tripps was good......he was a wing back. He still got exposed defensively.
With the rxcexcept of half a season where he was Keeping the unhappy Walker out of the team, he has been back up quality.
We have three back up RBs for a top three team.
Tripps has the highest stock still after the world cup - a top ten team woiwo still pay over the odds.
He has been a really good and patient servant, but it is time to freshen up that position. And he makes the most football and business sense to move on.

I suspect he’s playing within himself and is carrying that slight injury still.

(If only we had a promising fullback we could play while Tripps gets back to firing on all cylinders!)

Of course Poch is best placed to judge and spends the most time studying these players. Lucky bastard.

I’ve never been Trippiers biggest fan and felt Walker was a lot better in the bigger games but always delighted when he does well for us or England. I just think the World Cup suited his style more than ours with what was a different standard of football plus an insurance inside him if he did struggle in his individual defensive battle. It pains me to say it as a 5ft 8 no paced right back who can’t understand why everyone can’t cross a ball with a bit of spin on it but with us having 3 players for the position it might come down to cashing in on Trippier’s World Cup to give KWP the chance to progress.

An injury / fatigue / confidence is probably impacting Trippier too, but even at his best its always to be difficult for him against a 6ft 2 quick winger. KWP has the same challenges but being younger may be able to hit the protein shakes and has a little bit more recovery pace.

By cutting out his rash lunges Aurier looks to be the safest bet defensively which seemed a long way off last season! I’m not even convinced KWP will become an ever present but he’s getting to the age where we need to back him or move him on.

I really like Wan Bissaka so would not be against moving 2 out to get him in, even one of them to Palace to sweeten the deal.

I’m still behind Trippier and recognise his qualities but over the the course of his time here I’ve never really felt he was more than a plan b against packed defences and not first choice.

I have nothing but admiration for the heights he’s reached in his career.

Wan Bissaka looks like a really good player. Would be a great bit of business if we could get him in and perhaps offer Trippier in return also.

Back