1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Trippier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by DublinSpur, 19 Jun 2015.

1. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Andy Thompson Staff Member

He tried this summer. The ones that didn't go were the issue. Wage demands too high. He has earmarked this situation for sometime IMO and thus why he has been frustrated. I know people want to blame Levy, but this is a genuine combination of factors coming together. He will be here and changes will be made.

2. Legohamster

Legohamster Gerry Armstrong

Two seasons ago away to albeit good Monaco we got slapped and he was absolutely torn apart - it was obvious then he wasn’t anymore than a decent back up.

Teams seem to be targeting him and the space he leaves.

I don’t think I’ve been as angry with a spurs player as I was with Trippier on sat.

Players make mistakes, but to continue to make them and not learn is unforgivable at this level

Finney Is Back and parklane1 like this.
  3. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

There's a bit in Poch's book about how he hates long contracts for players, because it demotivates them and makes them hard to get rid of. Though he acknowledges chairmen will always think differently.

thfcsteff likes this.
  4. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Dean Austin

Basically all the money from sales was promised to Poch (itk)...and considering who was going (ie some high value players + squad fillers/failures) was a pretty sum of money (circa £170m). As I have said before on paper it all looks good, to execute is a miriad of conversations, negotiation s and transactions. No buttons saying sell and buy.

Levy did nothing to block any of this and if he was blocking by overvaluing one of our players or thinking an incoming target was to expensive it was with the full agreement and understanding of Poch. If there was any falling out over any of it we'd certainly know about it.

Naturally as a professional coach with the urge to press on it is not surprising that you show some signs of frustration as your basically left with the same old same old from last season.

Let's not forget though that Levy (itk) gave Poch carte blanche to do as he wanted with the squad (he c.ould of sold Kane if he wanted), that's a massively high level of trust from the chairman, and why wouldn't you trust Poch, he as earned it. Poch is also in full realisation that that level of control is a rarity as a coach/manger, which hopefully filters into his grass is greener thoughts.

5. the dza

the dza Pedro Mendes

I still think Aaron Wan Bissaka at Palace would be a great player for Poch. Has all the physical attributes, decent going forward. At 20 years old, I think he's the next Kyle Walker.

6. scaramanga

scaramanga Les Howe Staff Member

He's got a lot of potential. He gives the ball away a lot, but I'd imagine much of that comes from being in the opposite corner of the field to Zaha in a team playing the "give the ball to Zaha" tactic.

Mosquito_Coasting likes this.
  7. the dza

the dza Pedro Mendes

Agree, he's still a bit raw. I think a year of coaching under Poch and he'd be a monster of a player.

8. MKSpur

MKSpur Sebastien Bassong

I think that team would be a positive one for games we expect to dominate. Son or Moura off the bench or in rotation with Lamela would be strong too. Main issue is if Rose is out than Davies won’t be offering much, so I can see Aurier coming into a back 4 and getting a run at making himself first choice.

Is there any news on Dier? One of his qualities has been the fact that he doesn’t get injured!

9. MKSpur

MKSpur Sebastien Bassong

We could chuck Jansen in as part of the deal, he’d look like vAn nistelrooy compared to Benteke.

10. Hootnow

Hootnow Ruel Fox

11. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Chris Perry

He wouldnt be the only one! Id imagine half the team wanted to rip him a new one.

12. Hootnow

Hootnow Ruel Fox

Yep! I imagine for multiple reasons too. He must have been thinking 3-0 up, very good performance so far against a pretty difficult team.

Then soon after, due to two mistakes he played his part in, we're holding on and the headlines go from Spurs comfortable win to Spurs hold on, with all the focus on the 20 year old CB who's just given away 2 penalties.

Not what Poch would have wanted for Foyth's start and he should have had a lot more protection!

13. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Tom Huddlestone

I didn't know Dier was injured till 1 hour before the game so no idea
    Agree that Davies doesn't suit wing back

14. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Jimmy Neighbour

Trippier has never been an amazing defender. The flack is a little harsh on Trippier imo. Everyone has a bad game now and again. Trippier has had more good than bad recently, but probably needs a rest after the WC.

I think we are missing Rose (and Walker). Can Aurier come good? Another one who's suspect defensively. Hopfully he is training hard and can play without the boo boos in the future.

15. P.D.

P.D. Young-Pyo Lee

Never heard him being so direct towards one player, but that's 2 games in a row he's messed up along with several other mistakes this season. As a team we've been pretty sloppy with conceding poor goals all season.

16. Rorschach

Rorschach Gary Stevens

Racist

17. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Steffen Iversen

Remember when there were rumours that Trippier and Toby were left out of the Inter away squad because they'd come to blows after the Liverpool game?

Could it be Toby thought Trippier played as brick as he did vs Wolves and smacked him because of it?:D

18. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Tom Huddlestone

Toby’s look after that first goal said a lot
    He kinda stared at trippier but kept stum

19. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Justin Edinburgh

Yeah...it's pretty rare for Poch to clearly mark out a single player like this, he must know the team agrees and he will also know it's a position we are well stocked in with KWP pushing alongside Aurier.

Something is going on with Trippier...the first attempted nutmeg was silly but the second goal, the lazy swing of the leg and leaving Foyth 2v1...really bad. He needs to get his head in the game. It's almost like the Leicester syndrome where you reach the heights you never thought you'd get to and its hard to then keep going and to follow up that ridiculous achievement. Maybe getting to the semi finals and scoring that goal against Croatia in particular wasn't the best thing that could have happened to him.

Maybe the hype has gone to his head - not that he is a bad guy and can't be redeemed, just that he needs to come back down to earth and realise what got him there in the first place. He also has this annoying habit of blaming other players when he has clearly made a mistake. It's one thing to give your teammates a rollocking to make sure everyone keeps their standards up, but I wonder if he is almost veering into Alexis Sanchez territory by being viewed as a bit of a prat when he's clearly made his own mistakes.

20. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Ilie Dumitrescu

KWP time I reckon. We know he's solid.