• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

I usually look at the body language and face of the penalty takers ... i didn't have any doubt about our boys and tripps looked most confident.

Along with Maguire he has been our best player so far, i think the system with three C/B suits him down to the ground. He has improved his all round game over the last 12 months and deserves a lot of praise for doing so.

Along with Maguire he has been our best player so far, i think the system with three C/B suits him down to the ground. He has improved his all round game over the last 12 months and deserves a lot of praise for doing so.
Agreed, although Kane has done an awful lot for the team that I don't think has gone entirely noticed.

Where I think Tripps isn't so hot is his defending. Not necessarily his ability to put in a tackle or mark his man, but rather balancing defense and attack. Without Walker's pace, it's a different balance for him and I don't think he's quite there. A 5-man back line shifts things in his favour, especially with Walker inside him*.

* Oo-er missus.

Agreed, although Kane has done an awful lot for the team that I don't think has gone entirely noticed.

Where I think Tripps isn't so hot is his defending. Not necessarily his ability to put in a tackle or mark his man, but rather balancing defense and attack. Without Walker's pace, it's a different balance for him and I don't think he's quite there. A 5-man back line shifts things in his favour, especially with Walker inside him*.

* Oo-er missus.

Kane has done what he is there for i agree but we all know Kane is a great player so it par for the course for him. The reason i said Maguire was our best player ( along with Tripper) was that he was really a unproven ( at this level) leading into this W/C and he has been immense ( imo).

Having watched Tripper play for us i do believe he can be caught out at the back by better opposing players, but as a say the fact we play with 3 CB's has taken some of that worry off him.

I'd have him on corners ahead of Eriksen from here on out. Eriksen seems to put them too close to the 6 yard box for the keepers to get at. Tripps has more variation, but seems more often than not to put it in that sweet spot that the keeper can't come out for.

I'd have him on corners ahead of Eriksen from here on out. Eriksen seems to put them too close to the 6 yard box for the keepers to get at. Tripps has more variation, but seems more often than not to put it in that sweet spot that the keeper can't come out for.
Plus Eriksen loitering around the edge would give us a few chances if long shots from the second ball (he’ll never contest a header in the box though!)

It’s a plan to get the full backs involved in all attacking play
Worked well
Maybe also something of a reaction to Woy's corners, in that you really want your most lethal striker lurking in the box, ready to pounce on any spillages, deflections etc. Not to mention winning penalties from being wrestled to the ground by desperate defenders. :D

It’s a plan to get the full backs involved in all attacking play
Worked well

Maybe also something of a reaction to Woy's corners, in that you really want your most lethal striker lurking in the box, ready to pounce on any spillages, deflections etc. Not to mention winning penalties from being wrestled to the ground by desperate defenders. :D
That's all very well, but Trippier hasn't come close to scoring, and we know Kane can.

That's all very well, but Trippier hasn't come close to scoring, and we know Kane can.
Yes but it's about which is the better option. Kane has already scored three for England from spillages and deflections in and around the box as well as creating three penalty situations from being in there from dead ball situations, all of which he has gone on to score from.

Even the very best FK takers convert a very low percentage so I have no doubt which option I would prefer.

Edit: just checked the stats, Harry has only ever scored one goal from free kicks in the PL.

Last edited:
Kane has done what he is there for i agree but we all know Kane is a great player so it par for the course for him. The reason i said Maguire was our best player ( along with Tripper) was that he was really a unproven ( at this level) leading into this W/C and he has been immense ( imo).

Having watched Tripper play for us i do believe he can be caught out at the back by better opposing players, but as a say the fact we play with 3 CB's has taken some of that worry off him.
Gotcha. Last night was the first England game that I was able to watch more than the highlights package and Maguire stood out as a leader. Not afraid to take it to the opposition, stand up for himself, etc. Being a big unit helps, of course.

Yes but it's about which is the better option. Kane has already scored three for England from spillages and deflections in and around the box as well as creating three penalty situations from being in there from dead ball situations, all of which he has gone on to score from.

Even the very best FK takers convert a very low percentage so I have no doubt which option I would prefer.

Edit: just checked the stats, Harry has only ever scored one goal from free kicks in the PL.

And that was a deflection vs Villa

I was thinking last night there has been no real random stand out player that has come from nowhere this World Cup.

Till I realised it was it was this guy.

Back