• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Tripper

So he made on average 17 poor passes per match, sounds a big high surely?
A misplaced pass may not be a poor pass, it could be defence splitting so likely not to work, or down the channel to allow the defence to push out or a cross or trying to hit Ings when marked by Terry and Cahill

A misplaced pass may not be a poor pass, it could be defence splitting so likely not to work, or down the channel to allow the defence to push out or a cross or trying to hit Ings when marked by Terry and Cahill
I recently read that Trippier made more "crosses into the opposition penalty area" than any other player in a top European league last season (seriously!) That was clearly how Burnley were set up to play and my guess is a lot of those "misplaced passes" were crosses.

Given the new reliance on statistical analysis in modern scouting, it's obvious we are aware of this stat. So either we're planning on getting our full backs to cross the ball more often, or else we'll be instructing Trippier not to do so. Either way, I don't think the "misplaced pass" stat is actually as negative as it first sounds.

but isnt it worrying that so many crosses didnt reach a teammate? o_O

Do Opta not give a definition of a misplaced pass? They usually provide it for their other stats.

Obviously speculation until we get it but a through ball going getting into the right zone but a player not reading it for instance is different to them not putting it into the right zone at all so it gets cut out by the defence, guess that really echoes what we already know that the real insight is in how you analyse those stats and make best use of them.

He should take the Lennon option and not bother trying to cross or we could get someone like Wilkins or Parker and get great stats.

He should take the Lennon option and not bother trying to cross or we could get someone like Wilkins or Parker and get great stats.
Two good players you mentioned there (especially the former, who was excellent). I think a better option if making that point is Capoue - a player who shows great 'stats' but has no positive impact on the game at all.

Don't tell Scara - no goal has ever been scored from a cross. Ever. Not even by the romans.

Until we analyse all of his crosses, work out how many to subtract from the pass stat and then see why his crossed missed target, it is meaningless

Was the pace of build up meaning the croses were easy to defend against?
Burnley's strikers not being good at moving in the box?
Or has Stephen Carr been teaching him crossing?

I guess that would depend on what the average proportion of crosses reaching a teammate is, and whether he is above or below that average. Just from my (completely unscientific / based purely on watching matches) sense of the modern game, I would suggest that the vast majority of crosses never reach a teammate. So if Burnley were instructing him to cross whenever possible (which seems likely given the sheer number he made) then his "uncompleted passes" stat would be abnormally high, even if he had a better cross completion rate than most (again, no idea if he has or not).

I'm really just saying that while stats are interesting and - when used correctly in context - often very useful; a single isolated stat without analysis or context can be worse than meaningless... it can actually be misleading.

If - as people seem to suggest - we are developing a stats-heavy approach to identifying players; then you'd assume that (a) we'll be analysing stats in depth and in the right context, and (b) we already know this about Trippier and it's not considered a problem.

True, but if we loan Yedlin to Norwich, we need cover if Walker is having serious troubles with his injury as rumoured. Dier will most probably be a CB. Yes, he could play RB, but at £3,5 mill it's worth getting Trippier in.

We also have Ryan Fredericks back from his Middlesbrough loan.

Back